Back again after over a year

(Shanda) #1

Hello everyone! It’s been over a year since I was last on this forum. I fell hard off the keto wagon but I’m ready to pick myself up by the bootstraps and go again. When I was on keto I felt better than I have in years (once I got past the nasty keto flu anyway). During this past year I managed to undo all the progress I had made. Am 100% addicted to sugar and caffeine again. I have low energy levels and no motivation. I wake up sore and achy daily. I have circulation problems again… the list goes on. I make no excuses for my behavior but am starting fresh today. At least this time around I (kinda) know what I’m doing and what to expect. I know what pitfalls I am most likely to come across and have my own personal strategies for getting through them. I can’t wait to get to know everyone again. Wish me luck! Happy ketoing!

Good Luck! Been there… TWICE! No more! You need somebody to be up your ass and around the corner I’m your guy! KETO ON!

(Shanda) #3

Might just take you up on that! I need all the accountability I can get!

(Marianne) #4

You can do this! Just plan out your meals in the beginning and keep to your macros until you learn the nutritional values of the things you commonly eat. Keep the carbs as low under 20 as you can (total vs. net, if possible). Eat the things you love. I used to never eat breakfast before keto, and I used to look so forward of a breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs. Everything was completely delicious and would hold me for long periods of time. It wasn’t long before I was eating two meals a day and then one.

In 15 months, I have only cheated once because I am terrified of going there. Food has always been my drug of choice, and I used to love to binge on the carbage I loved (would feel horrible afterwards - hopeless, ashamed and out of control). For me, I wouldn’t be able to predict when I would be able to come off a binge. It’s not like you can turn an “on and off” switch, plus I believe cheating opens the door to more cheating, sometime in the future. As a food addict, I know how my mind works in relation to opening that door, so I don’t go there. It is a small sacrifice. Yes, I love ice cream, carbage and sweets, however, I don’t crave them now - as long as I don’t re-engage. I enjoy the food I do eat so much and look forward to every meal, plus I don’t feel ashamed about my appearance anymore or hopeless about my eating or ever being able to lose weight.

Good luck to you!

Usually an electrolyte issue. Ketoade can often help with that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_ketoade.3A_your_best_weapon_to_fight_the_flu

(Shanda) #6

Yes, I am definitely armed with my ketoade this time around. And some pickle juice too.

(Steve) #7

What’s wrong with caffeine? :slight_smile:
Wasn’t it Keto that made the bulletproof coffee craze?
High fat whipping cream is very low in carbs and the high fat content makes your coffee taste sweeter…your tastebuds adjust. Still drink at least a pot a day. :slight_smile:

Edit: Ooh…that reminds me, I should pick up a magic bullet so I can start making those again! :smiley:

Edit2: Oh, and +1 - I too fell off the wagon. I was doing low carb for awhile…then got really bad about potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. Back on the wagon again and planning an extended fast soon. (doing OMAD now).

(Janus) #8

Good for you, Shanda. :clap:

Me too - fell off the wagon, rather in slow-motion, but the ground can still be hard. :pensive: Working at home for six weeks now, and I’d say an honest 5 lbs. of fat gained during that time.

(Shanda) #9

In moderation caffeine is ok and I haven’t cut it out completely. I have my coffee with ghee and a bit of heavy cream in the morning. But I’m detoxing off 2 NOS energy drinks and 3 plus full sugar mountain dews every day. So the coffee isn’t QUITE enough to curb the caffeine headaches just yet. Lol.

(Shanda) #10

Well then we can jump back on together! I’m starting at about 5 lbs higher than I was the first time I did keto which means I’ve gained roughly 30 lbs in the last year. :grimacing::flushed: The lbs themselves don’t really bother me anymore though. Its more what they are a symptom of. I can FEEL how unhealthy I’ve gotten. Soreness, circulation issues, fatigue, etc etc.
We got this though!

(Melora) #11

Hi Shanda,
So glad to have run across your post. I fell hard too, bumped my head a little, which knocked me straight.:grin: My biggest problem has been alcohol. I drink entirely too much and it has reversed everything I worked so hard for.
Good for you for recommitting, here’s to our new keto success (I’m toasting you with water BTW!)

(Shanda) #12

@fullmetaljackii welcome back! I totally get the alcohol thing. I enjoy a good drink from time to time, usually a glass of wine with dinner or a good vodka. Covid has cut that down to pretty much non existent though because I usually only drank when out with friends or when friends were at the house. I’ve made a promise to myself to limit my drinking though. It shouldn’t be too hard to keep. When I drink while I’m on keto I get HORRIBLE hangovers, like it takes me at least a couple days to feel normal again. It’s just not worth it. I’m thinking about starting a new accountability post ( or resurrecting my old one) feel free to join me on there and we can hold each other up :grin:

(Melora) #13

How’s the keto train Shanda? It’s been slow going for me, but after having an evaluation with a sleep doctor and fully realizing how many aspects of my health are affected by my nutrition, I am fully on board! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there

FMJ

(Melora) #14

Thanks for the laugh Steve! I put Kerry Gold butter and collagen powder in my coffee every morning.

FMJ

(Janus) #15

Time goes by.

(Sampada Wagle) #16

Hi there, everything you said made sense. I am sure you will crack it this time. I like you have just started again.
New day new rules, right.
Take one day at a time, or even one meal at a time. I first tried it last aug to Dec last year. So many good results but 2020 came and off the wagon I went. Now it’s a new day and I am back on the wagon. My spinach wagon as I call it. :grin: