Babies being fed almost nothing but fruit

Aside from breast milk, I watch what my nephew eats (he is about 1 year old) and he is fed nothing but fruit. Mangoes, bananas, cherries, watermelon, and then little fruit bars and yogurt. I told my mom it doesn’t seem right to me and she said this is just what babies eat.

I just want to give him some mashed vegetables instead, along with maybe some low mercury fish for lunch or dinner instead of the constant fruit plates. He does occasionally eat cheese.

I have seen them give him ice cream (some hagen daaz kind I think) and a part of me breaks inside. It doesn’t seem natural or good in any way. Am I overreacting? I don’t say anything of course but as somebody who grew up with an eating disorder, and had a terrible relationship with food I feel strongly about it.

(Joey) #2

Yeah, this is a touchy subject. Kids (most) can tolerate all kinds of stuff … but the longer term consequences, taste preferences, brain development, etc., can be significant based on early exposures.

My grandchild has parents who have tried to introduce every imaginable (healthy) food into his diet … literally keeping a spreadsheet of hundreds of things he’s had. Their plan is to reduce the chances that he develops an allergy to anything, which is always possible but hasn’t been observed yet, and expand his palate.

Now at 2 yrs old, he self-feeds just about everything, but especially devours meats, cheeses, fish, and green veggies. Success. And happy grandad.

I don’;t think so. It’s not good to teach kids right away that food is sweets and sweets and more sweets.
Feeding them fruit purees was the norm when I was a kid too, by the way. I am not even against some fruit, not like I ever researched things, I have no kids…
But only fruit and sweets? Crazy.
Once I met a couple who simply never gave the kids sweets. The first years happened without it. They probably had fruit galore but that is still different. So the kids didn’t expect there is sweets at every meal and sweets weren’t the top, most desired food for them. I think. My memories are vague and the kids were still small. But they definitely couldn’t miss what they never got.
And I consider it wonderful. I experienced what is it like to get used to sweets. Fortunately my instincts typically led me to some more proper food when hungry but I always ate sweets in the end. And breaking this habit? Was hard. I don’t do hard so I had to slowly retrain myself. But I never will be like someone who never was used to it in the first place.

So… I consider it not fair at all to poor kids, to feeding them sweets all the time or just too often. They can get acquainted with various kinds of food when they know what they are doing but forcing it on them when they are just babies… No one can consider “normal” ice cream good and healthy… So why that? Maybe the parents consider the ice cream a treat because they consider it better than some proper food? Sometimes I pity people. I loved my sweets but loved proper food even more. Healthy, okay food can be extremely tasty. So even from a short term hedonistic viewpoint, I don’t get why to focus on sweets…

@SomeGuy: Nice story! Yay :slight_smile:

(Robin) #4

I don’t venture into the business of what others feed their children. Or themselves. (Unless asked. Which is never.)

I grew up on the wrong food and fed my children the wrong food.

I still believe it is best to lead by example. And I sure don’t want to
“correct” a new mother.

I approach it the same way as religion. None of my business. We all find our way and the best teachers simply teach by example.

(Edith) #5

My daughter has done the same with her daughter, and so far, my granddaughter (who also happens to be two) eats and looks great. She does have an extra affinity for fruit, but she is also incredibly active. My daughter will let her eat fruit to her heart’s content, but only after she’s had her protein and other veggies. It makes this grandma happy, as well.

(Allie) #6

I remember a case here a few years ago where a baby girl died of malnutrition after his parents, who were prosecuted for child cruelty, insisted on feeding her a strict fruit/veg diet…

Growing bodies NEED protein.

(Joey) #7

@Shortstuff Yikes, what a tragic story.

Moreover, the headline made me think the parents had successfully broken out of jail - and were on the loose munching strawberries and lettuce.

Everyone needs protein but babies are especially unfit for a fruit only diet. I heard about such bad cases too. Poor kids…
(Though I really can’t comprehend how adults handle it even for as long as they do. Or how they think it’s okay when our needs are NOTHING like a hummingbird’s. Who eat protein too, obviously as they need it too for their muscles. But they need to catch insects while fruits probably have some tiiiiiiiny protein. And modern fruits with their crazy high sugar content? Oh my.
Vegs have protein and less sugar, usually, still bad, obviously. And almost all fruits and vegs contains super low-fat.)

(Omar) #9

Exactly

It is a sensitive subject.

Most people can be tolerant to advices given to themselves but not their children.

If I have to say something, I phrase it into a question not a statement.

(Joey) #10

Same here. And as I’ve grown older and wiser, I’ve managed to refrain from asking questions like: “How could you be so stupid?” And: “What the hell were you thinking?” :roll_eyes:

(GINA ) #11

You said, “in addition to breast milk” and I wonder how much of his diet is still breast milk. If he is eating breast milk, yogurt, and cheese besides the fruit, the fruit could be a large or small portion of his diet and may not be a concern for his nutrition. I would also wonder if it is sugary, pink, flavored yogurt or real yogurt. His diet sounds far better than what I see many toddlers fed… starchy convenience foods.

I would be the most concerned about the development of his palate. Not all foods are sweet and squishy. Kids who are exposed to different types of flavors and textures early in tend to be more varied eaters later.

Although, like others have said, it is a ‘mind your own business unless asked’ situation so I would not say anything.

No, because that baby is having it’s health pre-wrecked for it. When a baby starts eating solid foods they shouldn’t eat any type of restricted diet, normal baby foods have mostly meats, vegetables and some fruits. My kid loved the fruit ones, but always ate real (type) meals as his main meals. He ate a way better varity of foods then when he had no choice than now being 8yo. I’d be that douche that opened my mouth, that’s just me. I get why most people don’t.

EDIT: Case in point!

(Shawn Patrick Malone) #13

Just read the same article. That’s very sad and entirely preventable!

(GINA ) #14

I don’t condone babies being fed a vegan diet, but the article I read also said the baby hadn’t eaten in a week. More was going on that just lack of meat.

(Omar) #15

:grinning:

I’ve found it best to couch it in a compliment: “Amazing how you seem to do so well in other areas of life”

(Robin) #17

oof! Back handed compliments can really sting. Like telling a fat girl she has such a pretty face.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

A friend of mine from Virginia once told me that in the South there are two phrases to watch out for. One is “bless your heart,” and the other is “I love you like a brother/sister.” Whatever follows is not going to be good, lol! When I was growing up in New England, the put-down was “I’ll pray for you.”

(Karen) #19

Oh my you are in between a rock and a hard place with this one. It is good that you care about your nephews nutrition and rightly so and I believe you are right in thinking it will lead to eating issues as he grows. I think Mum and Dad will soon realise the mistake they have made when they can’t get him to eat other more nutritious foods. Surely they have to take him to medicals and weigh in etc as here in UK? Perhaps if you knew where they take him you could get in touch with the social worker to get them to ask about what he eats etc so that any advice comes from a source your nephews Mum and Dad might listen to?
Otherwise you could always drop the fact of your old eating issues into conversation at an appropriate time?

Whichever, a fragile situation as I am sure you won’t want to be shut out of their lives and I am guessing you think they would go on the defensive!

Good luck whatever you do x

(Omar) #20

No matter how good people are in masking their real honest opinions (while trying to be nice) a simple phrase can unmask that opinion. Because they are trying to be honest and nice at the same time. Which can be out of allignment in real life.