Autophagy

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

Been reading up more on autophagy. Putting some links in here so I can find them again.

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

Here is a search of IDM for autophagy. I can’t remember which one first brought up the water, no protein discussion. They are all worth reading. It was the blog that contained them not the videos, my bad:grimacing:

https://idmprogram.com/?s=autophagy

(Doug) #23

I’d like to see a comparison between a diet including olive oil and fasting. Still - if anything this looks promising to me.

(karen) #24

I like the finding but I don’t trust it, studies like this make me want to scream: if you want to know if it’s OLIVE OIL, then you have to give other mice a macro-nutrient identical diet without olive oil. All this study can really show is that adding FAT (which happened to be olive oil) to the diet made a difference. Maybe butter or 10W40 would have been equally beneficial. Since this should be obvious to a sixth grade science student, I assume this study was funded by Big Olive.

(Doug) #25

Karen, would be good to see a study adding other saturated fats, as well…

(Failed) #26

Is this based on real research do you think?
https://selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/

Also, I have been posting about how inositol and choline supplementation has been making it so I don’t have any carb cravings. However, I just found this saying that inositol stops autophagy.

autophagy and inositol.pdf (184.8 KB)

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

Selfhacked always has links to the studies related to the articles.
“There are additional mechanisms for turning on and off autophagy that do not involve mTOR/AMPK. The inhibition of inositol monophosphatase and disruptions to the endoplasmic reticulum (causing the creation of faulty proteins) can both turn on autophagy [105, 104].”

(Todd Allen) #28

The article is consistent with what I’ve seen elsewhere regarding autophagy. I think the research is “real” but how much of it is correct and relevant is debatable. One issue is a lack of means to evaluate the need for autophagy or the degree to which one activates it via any of these mechanisms. Thus we have endless debates about how often and long we should fast and how “pure” the fast needs to be.

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

This thread is old but seems like a good spot for this article on Mammalian
macroautophagy at a glance. I am still trying to understand all of it, will take a few reads I think :slight_smile: