August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Jenny) #41

@daddyoh Look into magnesium. I think Carl talked about his experience with essential tremors in one of the podcasts.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #42

Thanks. I take some mg but will research it. MY tremors are isolated to my left hand/arm and donā€™t bother me. On keto (on mg?) they have not gotten worse.

I have seen some of your posts recently but havenā€™t followed in detail so this might be covered in depth somewhere, but Iā€™m doing a week of OMAD and have even gone over in carbs some days and yesterday my GKI was 1.2. (Iā€™m also probably not quite eating enough, which Iā€™m sure pushes the number up and itā€™s something I know that youā€™re trying to avoidā€¦)

(Annette ) #44

I had the gastric sleeve 2 1/2 years ago. Iā€™ve been doing Keto for 2 1/2 months. I usually eat 2 meals a day and try to do IF. Because my stomach is smaller, I canā€™t take in large meals. I try to keep my calories around 15-1600 per day. Iā€™ve lost 20 lbs so far, which is amazing. Iā€™m thinking OMAD may not work for me because I canā€™t eat a large meal. What do you all think?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #46

I think your logic is sound. OMAD is not a requirement. Reducing your eating window can be beneficial but even 18/6 is great.

(KCKO, KCFO) #47

It sounds like what you are doing is working. Maybe continue on that path until it stops working. You really do need to limit the size of your meals due to the sleeve. Maybe @Donna will have some further advice for you.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #48

A GKI of 1.2 is good.
I need low glucose and high ketones.
GKI is glucose (in mmol) divided by ketones. In my case the lower the GKI the better

Yes, I know youā€™re looking for lower GKI; I just wasnā€™t sure how much (or what) you had written about OMAD. I think if I were looking to maintain therapeutic levels of GKI I would probably do a few weeks of dry OMAD as an experiment.
Usually I donā€™t get such low GKI until Iā€™m several days into a fast but these last few day Iā€™ve been limiting both liquids and food to about 2hrs/day and my GKI has dropped.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #50

I had been doing OMAD for a long time, an least 6m, I think.

Iā€™m not going to add any more comments because itā€™s just too frustrating for me. I know you and others mean well, but if you donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing then itā€™s not helpful. I only did tmad for a week. Its incredibly hard to maintain a low GKI while eating even OMAD. I still havenā€™t found why some meals work better than others. Iā€™m only drinking water between meals, and have no intention of limiting water.

To get a better idea of what Iā€™m doing read:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/my-cancer-story-a-place-to-rant/47134/139

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/ketocancermoms-fasting-log/89812/12

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/ketocancermoms-look-at-numbers/78904/23

Sorry! Thatā€™s why I put the note about not being up to date on all of your experiments. I was just surprised at my own GKI and thought it would be better to mention it than not just in case it was helpful. Please never feel that you have to write more than you want to!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #52

Thatā€™s not healthy at all. You have to have fluids (at least water). Also, just looking at GKI doesnā€™t mean much if you also arenā€™t looking at BG and BK. I could (in theory) have a GKI of 1 while having a BG/BK of 5. But thatā€™s not what I want. I need my BG as low as I can get it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #53

Sorry all, not trying to sidetrack this threadā€¦

Yes, thatā€™s what I would have assumed, but the stories around it are compelling - super-fast wound healing, dramatically lower inflammation - and I wanted to do an experiment. Some folks are doing longer dry fasts (2, 3, 5 daysā€¦yeesh). That sounds nuts to me, but Iā€™m curious to see what happens with shorter ones. So far itā€™s going fine but weā€™ll see how Iā€™m doing in a week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™ve been rooting for you since you first posted and am always happy to see your updates when Iā€™m on the forum (which is much less these last few months, so Iā€™m not caught upā€¦).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #55

Thanks!

Sorry about how I came across. I know it can be hard to accurately portray feelings and sometimes things can get miss-communicated.

Iā€™m at a point where while I technically have body fat to spare (30%) I really feel like I donā€™t. All my fat is around my thighs and a bit on my arms. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time trying to analyze what Iā€™m eating and my macros and still donā€™t really know whatā€™s the most effective.

I guess I just feel like Iā€™m in one of the smaller sub-circles in the group, as someone with cancer. I know there are others who are in the same fight I am, but it seems to be a much smaller percentage. Also, I imagine with the pills and chemo, and how it effects cells in the body things work a bit differently.

I may just have to add more MCT oil more often to try to keep my BK higher during the day. Iā€™ve mostly just been testing BG/BK right before whatever meal Iā€™m eating.

(also, if an admin couldā€¦ could we split this discussion and associated replies to another area. Iā€™m not sure it really should be on the fasting threadā€¦ but maybe a new/separate GKI discussion?)

(KCKO, KCFO) #56

@PaulL can you help out KetoCancerMom with her request for another thread?

Thanks!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #57

Starting a ~70 hour fast. No social or business obligations and I hope to keep it that way.

I will not be measuring ketones this time since I am out of strips.

(Mame) #58

Itā€™s August! yay for the new thread and congrats to all who have already been fasting well.

I was at the lake for most of the first 4 days of the month, however I met both of my holiday goals which were pretty audacious if I say so myself.

I came home from the girlā€™s weekend weighing less than when I left and I had 2 new lows on the scale. I did omad and just did other stuff when people ate other meals.

Today before my meal I had bg=74, bk=3.6, and gki=1.14, in fact I had GKI <2 all weekend even with omad so I am super happy about that.

Started a 40h or so fast until Tuesday midday. I hope that the 2 spoonfuls of rebel ice cream do not trigger cravings tomorrow. I also work from home, still learning to fast well when at home and by the kitchen!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #59

Todayā€™s OMAD yielded great results.

Time BG BK GKI
T0 89 0.9 5.49
T60 88 2.1 2.32
T120 87 2.9 1.66
T4hr 80 3.9 1.14

Iā€™m happy with these results.
My dinner was Cauliflower mac & Cheese w/ bacon and teryiaki chicken, with 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream w/ chocolate MCT powder

Iā€™m curious to see if I can achieve similar results tomorrow night. I think Iā€™ll try but cut out the teryaki chicken to see what happens.

I think I just need to take a few nights of making the same thing (or at least eating part of what was served) to see what effect it has.

ETA: I didnā€™t take my vitamins right awayā€¦ Wondering if that had an effectā€¦

ETA2: BG down to 80, BK up to 3.9, about 1hr after vitamins and 2hrs from previous test. Send vitamins had no impact

How to compromise between keeping ketone-levels high and not losing weight?
(Susan) #60

That is terrific =) I am glad that you had good results.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #61

Is the rise of BK the result of the MCT powder? That is a pretty dramatic rise in BK. Thanks for posting.