Attention Span

My son has a short attention span and with his exams looming is proving a real challenge for him to study. My wife read an article about using high doses of omega 3. I watched an article by Dr Phinney and I’m sure he said we (humans) don’t need much and it can be harmful to us, and the whole omega 6 balance.

Has anyone got and article I can read on the subject? I read this article and this article but they do not answer my question. Is there a evidence of a connection or is it internet BS?

Has any parent managed to overcome the same challenge?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

Rather than add study aids at this point, it’s more powerful to remove study detriments.

Turn off electronics and stop studying 30 minutes to an hour before bed, then get a fantastic night’s sleep. Sleep is when things get filed away in your noggin.

Limit video games/action movies that force the brain to focus on hyperactive stuff rather than processing learned information. The brain always chooses whatever’s moving fastest and loudest, that’s why commercials are so obnoxious–they’re trying to steal your attention.

Switch out 20 minutes of internet surfing with some sort of aerobic exercise, preferably outdoors. Not only does it reduce stress, it triggers a chemical cascade in the body that helps the brain make more connections faster.

Convince him to practice visualization by calling it VMBR (Visual Motor Behavior Rehearsal) and mentioning that Olympic athletes have been doing it successfully for decades. It’s as simple as closing your eyes and inventing a movie where you ace the frickin’ test. For it to work, you need to make it very, very real with details and emotions, like the smell of the exam room, the sound of the pencil scratching across the paper, and the overwhelming pride of being the first one to stand up, walk to the front of the room, and drop the exam book on the professor’s desk while everyone watches you enviously. Stuff like that.

(Tom) #3

Being a person w/ ADHD-PI (predominantly inattentive) who wasn’t diagnosed until adulthood, I can attest that the preponderance of electronic devices, facebook, and being “always connected” has trashed my attention span even more than it already was.

Could not agree more. I’m in the exact same boat, my diagnosis was at 20.

@Aqua_chonk @acrunchyfrog I have restricted the time & devices but sounds like I need to be more restrictive at the moment, getting home physical is proving a challenge. Thanks again.

(Insert witty quote here) #6

I also have inattentive type ADHD ( diagnosed at 34 ). I find timers really help me. You could use a pomodoro technique, or just set one for, say 15-20 minute increments. When the time is up, take a short break. Set a timer for the break, too. Break time can be used for snacking, Facebook, walking, etc., and is a shorter amount of time, 5-10 minutes. I find this constant change really helps me stay on task, as contradictory as that sounds. :blush: I know this is really late, but maybe it can still help.

(David) #7

give @carl 's music to code by a spin.

http://mtcb.pwop.com/