Attempted keto century

(Jason Quevada) #1

first post…

i just did my 1st century this past weekend under keto and it was a struggle. well kinda my 2nd since the first century of the year back in july was half assed keto and it was 90 degrees out. anyways, i packed 2 water bottles with crystal lite with salt and a handful of slim jims. the first 40 was a breeze. averaged close to 20-22 mph in a pack. after the first rest stop, i was starting to get tunnel vision and snacked on a few slim jims to hopefully get me over it, but unfortunately i had to grab any carb i could get my hands on, i was starting to cramp all over. i switched to gatorade and ate whatever snacks they had to hold me over. struggled for the next 30 but finished strong once the carbs kicked in for the last 30. i failed this century trying to stay keto but ended up averaging close to 17 mph and finished in less than 6 hours.

any tips or tricks for the next long distance ride would be greatly appreciated.

(ianrobo) #2

then that is perfect, in a long ride then eating carbs is no issue. You may have gone too high in the HR at times and need to ride at same pace with lower HR and need MAF for that.

(Jason Quevada) #3

sorry for the noobness - whats MAF?

(ianrobo) #4

MAF method which there are a couple of threads on here. Basically lower stress workouts to massively increase your aerobic levels so to get quicker by going slower