Attempted Dips on Gymnastic Rings?!

(Vladaar Malane) #1

Ok, so went ahead and gave it a shot. I can knock out 10-12 dips in a row on a straight dip bar, but having to balance yourself, and turn the rings outward makes the level of difficulty go way up. So I did two, and I wouldn’t consider the second a full rep. I think I could hit 3 atm starting fresh out. I would like to increase to at least 5 before I start putting this in my workout altogether.

Thought I should add that most people do these dips just with the rings close to side and knock out reps. Which I could probably do easily 5 or more like that. I am following GMB recommendations of doing a rings turn out after each repetition. That is what is really difficult for me.

(Karen) #2

Wow wow wow! I could never even lift myself, let alone a dip. Impressive!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

You might try building reps without the turnout, and then add the turnout when you can do 10-15 without it. Doing it on rings is a lot harder than doing them on a bar or a Roman chair due to the instability.

Impressive to bang out one. You can see the effort.

(Vladaar Malane) #4

Thanks I was thinking same thing do reps and add ring turn outs as can.

(Vladaar Malane) #5

Yes! Managed 7 repetitions with Rings Turned Out. Doing big improvement on that exercise need serious work on my tuck to tuck shoulder stand though it requires balance as well as strength. My balance seems very poor yet.