Ate too many carbs

(vera) #9

Thank you so much for the advice because I ate a whole jar of almonds yesterday, two pints of enlightened ice cream, half a bag of dried cherries, a container of dried figs, and two bars of the perfect bar (which is a healthy protein bar but it has around 24 carbs in one bar)

(linda) #10

Plan to succeed!
Best idea is to clean out your house of non-keto foods and replace with some of the good suggestions and maybe a nice fatty ribeye steak! Yum!

Hang in there!

(Edith) #11

Make sure that when you eat a keto meal you are eating lots of fat and that you eat until your are satistied or even full. This way you will be less likely to snack.

The other thing that helps me is sometimes my body thinks it is hungry but it really wants salt. If you get hungry not long after a meal, try having some salt.

Edith

(Kaiden) #12

I do have a “try again later” approach to these sort of things, but it may be a “never again” would work better. When I noticed that I can’t control serving size, I give it six months and try again. Often, it works (e.g. So Delicious no-sugar added ice cream), but sometimes it doesn’t (e.g. Lily’s chocolate chips).

Umm. Not healthy in a Keto context. Second ingredient on one I looked at was honey. For me, the terms “healthy” and “low fat” on labels are a big red flag, because it usually means it has a lot of carbs in it. Even something that says “high protein” is not necessarily a good Keto choice. Check those nutritional labels.

You’re probably a carb-aholic like me. The more carbs I would eat, the more carbs I would want. It created a feeding frenzy. I NEEDED to be in a ketosis instead of glycolysis. Carbs are my enemy.

If you’re feeling hungry, you need to be reaching for choices that have little, preferably no, carbs. Foods like dried cherries and dried figs are just concentrating the carbs…

(Candy Lind) #14

Oh, yeah, you need to get that stuff out of the house. :exploding_head:

I’ve eaten way too much this weekend, but it’s all been keto-friendly (except I ate too much protein today. I should go jog around Costco a couple of times or something. :crazy_face:). I’m calling it my pre-fast feast! :grin: I guess what I’m saying here is that you’re not the only one among us with food control issues. If you get those sugar (or carbs in general) cravings under control, things will be a lot brighter for you. So … pack up some boxes full of carbs & give them to someone you’re not too fond of. :smiling_imp:

Next, I suggest you develop some strategies to keep that from happening again.

1. First line of defense: someone to call who will help distract you from food (a “binge buddy,” so to speak). You could find someone through Overeaters Anonymous if you don’t know of anyone appropriate who would help.
  2. Make a bunch of fat bombs (recipes here and elsewhere - very easy to make). If you run up against a bad craving, eat a couple.
  3. Make a list of activities you can do to distract yourself from food - a jigsaw puzzle, sudoku, crossword, a favorite book, knit/crochet, you get my drift.
  4. a walk around the block, or a nearby mall?
  5. What else can we come up with? I’m running short on sleep so I’m not brainstorming well today.

One thing that came to mind as I was thinking about this is candida. I’d be watching for symptoms as you come off the sugar (read up here in the forums - tons of info & personal experiences.) If there’s something you can’t find with the search bar, all you need do is ask. :grin::+1:t2: KCKO.

(vera) #15

I got these bars yesterday from costco, is this okay for keto?

(Candy Lind) #16

Based on your bingeing behavior, I would put all of them in the back of your freezer for a minimum of six months. The ingredients aren’t terrible, but they’re sweetened and would likely set off your cravings. In six months, when you have a better handle on your cravings, you can try one & see if it gives you cravings. If not, then use them as an emergency backup, not as a regular part of your diet.

To begin with, you are much better off eating the least amount of processed food possible. 95% of your groceries should come from “the perimeter” - produce, meat & fish markets, deli (some processed meat is OK, but they can have hidden carbs, too!), and dairy, eggs & cheese. Plan your meals and do as much processing as possible on the weekend (pre-cook what you can, fix up a bunch of mason jar salads for lunches, make mayo for the week, etc.) so you can heat-and-eat or grab-and-go. It takes some planning to have a well-formulated keto diet, but the rewards are legion.

They have 3 and 4 net carbs per bar. Which can be keto friendly. As long as you only have one in a day. But if you’re shooting for 20 net carbs in a day, you may need to make them fit. You haven’t said what your macros are?

(Rj Yoyo) #18

The first few podcasts are great. Carl fell down a couple times, and so did Richard. Give em a listen; it’s good to hear that you’re only human making mistakes the rest of us make. The key is, KCKO.

(vera) #19

I’m 123 pounds but my weight always fluctuate
My macros is
14g of carbs
57g of protein
95 g of fat

(vera) #20

I’m able to binge on pretty much anything such as steak, spinach, eggs, and other filling foods so I don’t think the sweets are the problem. I was wondering if it would harm my body and if it has any nutrients in it
thanks🙂

(Candy Lind) #21

You didn’t name any fats in there, unless you’re talking ribeye! :cut_of_meat: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Again, eat more fat. IT HELPS. You will either stop eating, cast up your accounts, or have a case of disaster pants.

(Candy Lind) #22

I plugged in 50 years old, 63” tall just as an example and the BMR calculator said the BMR would be 1254. You’re only eating 1139. No wonder you’re bingeing! You’re not eating enough. Are you actually trying to lose weight or are you doing keto for other reasons? Either way, again I will say - YOU’RE NOT EATING ENOUGH.

Let’s start over here. Go in the Newbies sub forum and read the “how-to” - go to the macro calculator and tell it you want to MAINTAIN. DO NOT put in a deficit. You want to eat to satiety when you start keto, for many reasons. Get new macros and follow them. Find a tracker app & use it. 70% or more of your calories should be from fat. If you have cravings, eat more fat. NOT more protein or carbs. Let your body start using fat for energy. If you keep eating carbs, it will NEVER learn.

(vera) #24

and I easily eat over 2000 calories everyday

(Candy Lind) #25

OK, then those macros you quoted weren’t accurate. They only add up to 1139. 9 cal/g for fat, 4 cal/g for carb & protein.

What CandyLindTX is saying.

Primary objective is to keep carbs low.
Secondary objective is to make sure you get enough protein.

After that, fat and calories are as your body needs them. Early on, cravings are usually the body having temper tantrums about not getting the carbs it’s used to. Feed it fat as a fuel. Once you’re fat adapted, appetite and cravings should naturally go down.

But, as always, YMMV.

(vera) #27

I also have a few questions…

1. I have a really bad metabolism and my hormones are out of wack, so do you have any advice to “repair” it?
  2. What’s the best way to get all my nutrients in?
  3. Is it ok to eat loads of butter at a time?
  4. Due to messing up yesterday and having to restart ketosis, will it take another week to get in?

1. Try a 24-48 hour fast with water, Apple cider vinegar (take a tbsp mixed in water) and bone broth (if you get really hungry) first 24 hours is the toughest because you’re literally going through sugar withdrawal, but this will help you get back into ketosis. I used to have a ‘slow metabolism’ and the occasional fast worked wonders. Also look into intermittent fasting if a 24-48 hour is hard for you. Try eating 2 meals within an eight hour window, and nothing for 16 hours. This should help balance out your blood sugar levels/insulin a bit. I would also say you should limit your snacking and plan out your meals.
  2. Track your macro nutrients- get myfitnesspal or a similar app and track everything that goes from your hand/plate to your mouth in terms of Fat, Protein and Carbs. if it touches your tongue, you need track it. I know people on this forum hate tracking, but it will help you build the discipline when you first get started to see how different foods impact your blood sugar levels, your hormones and your mood.
  3. No, all fat all the time is not the point of keto. Keeping insulin low is the point of keto. High isulin=more fat storage. Low insulin= fat burning. Carbs cause a insulin to get high. Protein can also cause insulin to spike so eat only enough protein to maintain lean muscle. Fat has no/low insulin response. Eat healthy fats, leafy green vegetables (some cauliflower) and organic meats/eggs for protein. Again, it helps if you track your macro nutrients. Your carbohydrates should be coming from leafy greens/veggies- I would recommended ditching the protein bars, nuts and fruits for a while until you get fat-adapted. Some Nuts are good (macadamia and pecans), but you will need to portion them out (ziplock bags + kitchen scale) because they can get quite high in carbs if you’re not careful.
  4. Yes, it will take some time to get back into keto depending on how fat-adapted you are. I’ve binged before and fallen off the keto wagon as i’m sure many, if not every one on this forum has as well. The trick is to keep calm and keto on. Preparation is 90% of the battle- when i binge, the next morning i go for a long walk/jog to burn some of those carbs (gets stored as glycogen in your liver and muscles) or plan to fast until 2-3 p.m. before my first meal, which usually consists of some bone broth drink, and some cauliflower rice with spinach and 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil (seasoned with pink salt, turmeric and cayenne). First day back on keto can be hard- you will get sugar cravings, but it is not impossible- stay hydrated, breathe and keep calm and keto on :slight_smile:

(Edith) #29

If you are only 123 pounds I’m guessing you are close to your goal weight. It is harder to fast close to goal and it is also harder to fast before you are fat adapted. I think you really just need to eat to your carb and protein needs and fat to satiety. That will get you back on the wagon.

Edith