Association between Fasting and COVID outcomes

(Joey) #1

BMJ recently published this piece. If you enjoy fasting and epidemiology, you’ll appreciate this association found (Spoiler: fasting reduces incidence of poor COVID reactions).

If you don’t like fasting and/or epidemiology, then move along. Nothing to see here…

(Bob M) #2

Ah, what?

The average engagement in fasting was … 40 years? Granted, there’s that one outlier of 82 years (82 years!!! How old is this person? 100?), but who is doing this? I feel like a punk, as I might be at 6 years, but depending on what “intermittent fasting” means, I might not even make that.

Double, what?

So, it’s good that fasting causes my PUFAs to come out of my fat cells? And there’s an acute rise in linoleic acid during fasting?

Will have to read more later…

(Joey) #3

Yes indeed. Intermountain Healthcare serves the Salt Lake valley in UT. Roughly half of UT residents are LDS (Mormon) and their religious tradition includes skipping 2 meals (OMAD) at least once a month … for life.

So yes, the number of folks who regularly fast is significant. And the other half of the population who do not live side by side, served by the same healthcare facilities.

The 82 year old “faster” may well be about 90 or so. But 40 years of regular fasting would make sense for a middle-aged LDS cohort who adhere to the religious traditions of the Mormon faith.

You didn’t know this? This is what the mask mandates were for. Not for droplets/aerosols, but to stop people from eating, no??? :upside_down_face:

(Bob M) #5

I’m not sure it helped…I think I’m the only one who lost weight during the pandemic. (Though I initially gained weight because The Croissant Diet came out just about when the pandemic started…took me 2 years to undo the weight gain I got testing that diet.)