Aspartame

(tayo gabriel) #1

Does aspartame affect ketosis? Is one allowed it on the keto diet?

It’s allowed, different people are different. I can use it without issues. Others say it stalls them out, some people think it tastes like crap etc. I specifically drink Diet Dr Pepper when I drink soda because it only has Aspartame, and not a cocktail of every other fake sweetener like Ace-K (which DOES screw with me).

(Heather Miller) #3

Sweetners affect different people differently. If you have a glucose or keytone meter you can test how it affects you.

(Mike W.) #4

How is that done? I’m curious.

(Cristian Lopez) #5

personally they dont affect me!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #6

Test yourself if you have a blood glucose meter

@richard includes a link to his website with a how to on testing using BG meter

(Stan Brooks) #7

Aspartame gets a bad wrap but it seems to be one of the best sweeteners on the market. It doesn’t affect me but as other’s point out it might affect you.

Depends on which end your testing, but in my case with Ace-K I figured out it had an affect when every time I drank diet root beer at work pretty soon after I’d get tired. Came home and tested my glucose while on empty and slugged two 12oz cans of it. Tested every 15min and at about the 30-40min mark started the tired feeling and then with testing noticed my sugar going down by like 30, which was still in normal thanks to it being high most of the time, so it shows my body was releasing insulin over it. Redid the exact same thing with Diet Dr pepper (aspartame) with no effect. Then a bunch of Splenda (ate a bunch of packets) and nothing. Did the root beer again and down it went!

I didn’t check ketones during that mainly because I’m cheap and don’t like testing them unless I really want to know, but it would have been cool if I did, MAY reattempt that one soon.

(Consensus is Politics) #9

The thing with artificial sweeteners is they can cause their own insulin response. So if you are doing Keto for the fat loss it offers, you might be sabotaging yourself. I did that to myself with Splenda. But for a differ t reason. The yellow bag of Splenda also contains maltodextrin, which raises blood glucose higher than raw sugar. Go figure. A sugar substitute causing high BG. :man_facepalming:t2:

(Stan Brooks) #10

Yup found the same issue. Switch to the liquid form and have not had any issues.

(Richard Morris) #11

Splenda in Australia have started making pills in a much smaller size, the size of Hermesetas sweeteners, so they require less filler (dextrose).

(Stan Brooks) #12

I think they are doing that in the States as well. Being not only poor but also cheap I have been getting the store brand (Kroger in this case). It’s about 2/3 the price of name brand Splenda.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #13

…and pure sucralose in powder form is easily found in Amazon. It may seem expensive, but that stuff is SWEET and a tiny bit goes a long way! Even just opening the bag a bit roughly sends enough dust into the air to strongly taste it on an in-breath.

(Troy) #14

I was curious on this as well
Been wanting to try a sugar free jello soon ( recipes )
Many have different amounts of aspartame as well

(Richard Morris) #15

I use pure sucralose in chocolates because the liquid stuff will seize up melted cacao butter, but the powdered stuff mixes right in.

(Tessy M.) #16

Check this post out for more info!

I don’t see how aspartame can kick you out of ketosis. If you are eating a very low carb diet, then you have very very low blood glucose levels. Even if aspartame can induce an insulin response ( which I do not believe that it can) it would not do anything given that there would be almost no glucose in the blood to begin with. I have yet to read of a mechanism by which someone with very very low blood glucose levels can be kicked out of ketosis.