Sugar free jello

(Debbie) #1

I’m wondering if sf jello is ok to eat EVERY day. I don’t want to ruin my progress, so I thought I better ask the community. Thank you.

Aspartame
(Jackson ) #2

Jello sugar free it’s ok

(Tessy M.) #3

You may want to check what they use for a sweetener. Some sweeteners can trigger an insulin response, which will slow fat loss.

(Rob) #4

Good point, though I think the dosage in one portion of jell-o (or jelly in the old country :wink: ) should not impact most people unless they are very sensitive to specific sweeteners. One tiny package makes 3-4 portions in my experience.

I find jelly a great carrier and textural complement for large quantities of whipped cream! :jelly:

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #5

I would try to limit the Splenda or NutraSweet, these sweetners can cause a insulin response.

I eat sugar free jello every day and I’m steadily losing weight and my blood glucose/ ketone readings are good.

I even put whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings & berries on top. :slight_smile:

(Tessy M.) #7

All depends on how much is consumed :slight_smile:

(William Gertel) #8

I would think if you have some then check your blood sugar and see if you are sensitive to the sweetner they use, and watch the scales also so that the next day if you have a gain you know know that was a no go on that type.

(Debbie) #9

The only thing I really seen under ingredients was less than 2% aspartame. Glad to hear your losing on it, and the added toppings sound great.

(Ken) #10

One nice dessert is sugar free jello mixed with softened cream cheese. I like to add pecans or almonds. Top with a little whipped cream.

(Roy D) #11

Sugar Free Jello-O brand jello contains maltodextrin as a sweetener. Maltodextrin has a glycemic index of 110. Foods with a high glycemic index will raise blood glucose levels more than those with a low glycemic index. When blood glucose levels rise, the body normally responds by producing insulin. High insulin levels makes it more difficult for the body to burn fat for fuel (aka keto unfriendly).

Great Value (aka Walmart) Sugar Free gelatin dessert (aka jello) does not contain maltodextrin, but uses aspartame instead. Aspartame has a glycemic index of 0, therefore aspartame will not cause a rise of blood glucose levels (or the resulting rise in insulin levels).

Other generic brands (i.e. Safeway, Kroger, …) of Jello may contain other artificial sweeteners, it is recommended you check the ingredients for whichever brand you purchase for which sweeteners (artificial or natural) are used in the product.

A conclusion from above is that if a product is marked “Sugar Free”, it does not mean it will not cause a significant rise in blood glucose and insulin levels.

If you are trying to keep your insulin levels as low as possible (as is an objective on a keto diet), then don’t use Jell-O brand sugar free jello, but use one of the alternate brands that doesn’t contain maltodextrin. (JMO)

Below is a link to glycemic index of artificial sweeteners.

(Rob) #12

Great points about various sweeteners in general but the point for most people is surely the LOAD not the INDEX of the product. A quarter packet of jello is 2.5g in total so how much MD can be in there? 1-1.5g?

I realize people with a specific sensitivity may be more adversely effected but for most, even if it were pure sucrose, it wouldn’t be a big issue.

(Roy D) #13

Good point Capnbob, the amount of the maltodextrin may be small enough to not cause a significant spike in blood glucose levels, but with everything else being equal, why not choose the product without maltodextrin to eliminate the impact in the first place?

Also, the Walmart brand (aka Great Value) is cheaper than the brand name (aka Jell-O) product.

(Rob) #14

Absolutely agree - always pick the best when you have choices, but I just worry about people becoming scared and paranoid about everything based on taking abstract true concepts and inappropriately extrapolating. You have seen people on these boards panic over hitting 32 carbs in a day, having a gram of Splenda in a supplement pill, etc.

One person’s sound, science based advice, is someone else’s call to panic about hidden, toxic, carbs! IMHO, the net advice on this should be something like ‘Sugar-free jello (even with Maltodextrin) is unlikely to present any risk to most (low GL) but it uses the least good sweetener available and you should look for alternative jelly brands’, which is a bit from several posts above :grin:

There are some on here that take the remove ALL toxins thing all the way and I thoroughly respect that but it is hard, involves a degree of pioneer living that most are not interested in.
Many will shrug off the advice as probably right but beyond them, but some will spiral that they haven’t swapped dish soap for a homemade baking soda and vinegar concoction.

This is just my opinion and doesn’t devalue any of the advice above. It’s just based on my observations of this board over the past few months. I would also add that this is still the best, most balanced, least knee-jerk, best behaved and most informative forum on the internet that I have ever seen (and I’m not trying to change it). :grin::bacon:

(Debbie) #15

Thank you, and luckily it is the walmart brand that I have been eating. Great info and I will use it as I discover new foods.

(Debbie) #16

.39 cents at my walmart. Tastes great.

(Melissa Marie) #17

I made a special trip and didnt even check the ingriedients :confused: aparently peach has it but raspberry doesn’t.

Going to use a Bai drink and unflavored gelatine instead.

(Darlene Horsley) #18

That’s a great idea!!!

It’s says it contains less than 2% and having one jello cup a day won’t knock you out of ketosis.

(Melissa Marie) #20

I have problems loosing if I drink crystal lite even. So for me personally, it’s beter not to even touch it at all… 2% can’t be good considering that it has a higher GI than sugar, honey, HFCS etc.