Asking for help on low carb protein bars, EU version

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

Now I am in maintenance phase, and my only “industry modified” food is protein bars. Protein bars, together with chaffles, are my “candy”, those pleasures in life that allow me to sustain a low carb diet without suffering, and on the contrary, to enjoy it.

I am based in the EU. I have seen low carb protein bars are very different in the US and in the EU (by looking at amazon most sold items).

I have tried to google for analysis on these protein bars, to see which are better than the others, under different circumstances. But unfortunately, the US culture of analyzing everything is not so well implemented here in the EU.

I have tried to do my best, and for example, I try to avoid “palm oil” and “vegetable oils”. And I try to look at the lowest sugar content possible (there are huge variations!). But I am sure there are many other items that a person with more knowledge than me would know what to look at the ingredients list, in order to find out the quality of such food. I assume that some proteins (whey, soy, …) are better than others, but I do not know which. I also assume that many other components (sweeteners …) may affect the quality, but again, I do not know which ones I should prefer.

Might I ask if somebody with knowledge could take a look at the ingredients (and composition) list of the following bars (which are the ones that rank better in availability / perceived quality / price for me):

https://www.weiderworld.com/products/catid/44/eid/1931/60-protein-bar

The Weider 60% seem to be the “best”: they have very few sugar (and not many carbs, including polyols), high protein, no palm oil …

https://www.weiderworld.com/products/catid/20/eid/3382/low-carb-high-protein-bar-40

Weider 40% are not as good as the 60% in quality terms, but they have a better taste, and they continue having not too much sugar or carbs, they are reasonably high in protein, they have no palm oil but coconut oil …

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-gb/product/optimum-bar

The Optimum ones are by far the best in taste and texture. They are relatively high in protein (a bit less than the Weider 40%; I always compare by 100g of product), and they do not have much sugar. But the amount of carbs is significantly higher than the Weider 40% (not only polyols).

Finally, https://www.premier-protein.com/en_GB/products/protein-bar-50-chocolate-caramel

I will receive today these ones, so I still do not know the taste. But from the composition, they seem pretty good, with high protein content (50%), lowish sugar … The only inconvenient is the amount of polyols is high, but I do not know how bad is this. They are pretty cheap, also. And they do not have palm oil.

May I ask opinions on these bars? (and please, do not argue that I should not eat any bars to start with; I agree in theory, but in practice, perfection is the enemy of the well-done job, and I know I need some food pleasure on a daily basis, and these bars give this to me).

(Karen) #2

Here is one that I like. I don’t use it for protein I use it as a snack. But it has some of the ingredients that you don’t care for.
Ingredients . Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Soluble Corn Fiber (Prebiotic Fiber), Allulose, Palm Kernel Oil, Pecans, Cocoa, Butter, Water, Erythritol, Natural Flavors.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #3

No more answers? :sleepy:

(Polly) #4

Hi @Arbre, I am in the UK and they are probably available here. However, I try to eat only real food which means minimising the industrially processed stuff. So I have no answers to offer you.

Can you make something with nuts and eggs which suits you?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #5

Thank you @Polly1. In fact, yes, I do chaffles with nuts and eggs. I like especially the salty ones with species. I eat them every day!

Sometimes, I also do chaffles with 100% powder chocolate, plus some other things (erythritol, coconut oil …) and I like them a lot (and my family too!). But for me, they are not a substitution to the bars: the bars are “too good”! They are just different to the chaffles.

I think the composition of the bars is reasonable. They have very little sugar. But I would not want to commit a mistake, taking some bars that in their composition they have some “bad ingredient”.

Bars is the only industrially processed food I take.

Optium nutrition usually has some of the better tasting items. It’s a popular brand over here in the U.S. I’ve not tried that particular item that you linked, but the powder protein they make is always good.