Ask Coach Allan

(Allan Misner) #85

First off, congratulations on doing something. Many people would use your condition as an excuse. You should be proud that you aren’t.

There things we must do and things we must not do. This obviously supersedes what we should and shouldn’t do. We have three different types of muscle fibers (slow, intermediate, and fast). With low weight/high rep work, you’re primarily focused on the slow twitch fibers. These are smaller (think marathon runners). The high weight/low rep works builds the intermediate and fast twitch fibers. These are bigger (think sprinters). The work you’re doing can help you maintain some strength but as you age (35 and onward), you’ll likely lose muscle mass.

The only other risk to high rep work is the wear and tear on the joints. This is something John Little goes into great detail in his book: The Time-Saver’s Workout (https://amzn.to/2InGKuW [Affiliate Link]). He and Dr. McGuff, the authors of Body by Science (https://amzn.to/2Xl7Syd [Affiliate Link]) recommend a slow moving protocol that allows you to use a lighter weight and increasing the time under tension. This causes fatigue through all three muscle fiber types, thereby maximizing muscle synthesis and reducing wear and tear.

You might want to look into their protocols and check with your doctor. Their routines will reduce your total workout time and could help you maintain (and even gain) muscle mass and strength. But please talk to your doctor first.

(Allan Misner) #86

No need to apologize. We’re all here to learn from each other.

(Jay Patten) #87

Thank you!

(Edith) #88

Hi Alan,

I was wondering if there is anyway to avoid DOMS.

(Scott) #89

My trick is to use very light weight and gradually add some weight as I feel ready no more than 10 pounds a week. Not part of the no pain no gain mind set but I done get soe and more importantly I don’t get hurt. Sorry Coach just sharing what works for me.

(Allan Misner) #90

Gentle nudges is the way to go, but even then, when you’ve worked a muscle, it is possible to still get DOMS. Some folks wear DOMS like a badge of honor, but that’s not the best thing to do either. Push yourself and then take small progressive steps (gentle nudges) from there.

If you get DOMS, drink plenty of water and actively recover by moving the affected body part through its full range of motion throughout the day. It is painful, but the pain should subside in a day or so.

(Ethan) #91

Dr. Bernstein recommends doing exercise similar to the Super Slow method, where you move weights 10 seconds each for eccentric and concentric directions to exhaustion in 60-120 seconds, potentially with a pause of a second in the middle.

(Edith) #92

Thank you. I had gone on a ten-mile vigorous hike. The following day I was feeling better than expected. It was the day after that when I felt crippled. :joy:

If I had done a leisurely walk the day after the hike would that have helped?

(Alec) #93

Edith
My experience is that DOMS hits worst at about 36hrs after a hard session. A leisurely walk would have helped a bit but I don’t think you would have avoided DOMS. The walk would have started the healing process by increasing blood flow to the legs, but the muscle micro tears would still be there. That is what hurts! One good thing about DOMS is that you can know your body will be rebuilding itself stronger for next time!!

(Allan Misner) #94

DOMS is usually day two or three after work. Extreme work can kick in faster. Everyone has a slightly different response-feedback.

Yes, active rest is best.