As silly as the question sounds

(Consensus is Politics) #1

Go ahead and laugh, but I’m a stickler for details. Not anal about it, but when someone says, use just a squirt of sweetener, wtf does that mean?

I’m asking because a couple of days ago I bought one of those little bottles of Liquid Stevia. “One squirt equals 1 teaspoon of sugar”. So what I’m wondering, does this little bottle have some kind of baffle in it so one squirt is one squirt, if you are a petite Korean lady or Hulk Hogan.

My first 500 calorie coffee I made with it, which is actually about 2 cups worth in a big mug, I used two squirts. And it tasted pretty damn sweet. So this morning I used one squirt, and still, it works pretty damn good. And this stuff is the Walmart brand which was $2.50ish a bottle. And the bottle says it’s good for 180 squirts? I have half a mind to keep track of that. Ok, I guess that is getting anal. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Allie) #2

I really don’t know the answer, but always just use sweeteners to taste anyway.

(Patrick) #3

How much volume does the bottle have? Take that divide by 180.

The squirt system sucks but it’s better than the droppers they used to all come with. I stock those things and there is absolutely no science to them. I can tell you MY 2-3 “squirts” is like my wifes 5-8 squirts!

(Consensus is Politics) #5

This is exactly what I was referring to.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #6

Too funny! I was literally standing in a Walmart in Nova Scotia six days ago staring at the same bottle and thinking the same thing. I reckon I could empty that bottle with about two dozen really good squirts.

I ended up buying the 200 sachet box of their “Equate” brand…at can at least dose it out accurately.

At home I have a 100g bag of pure sucralose and have worked out how much to make my 500ml coffee mug sweet to my taste (and it’s only a small dot or so on the end of a teaspoon). The bag is about a year old and still looks about 2/3 full…that stuff goes a long way.

(Consensus is Politics) #7

So glad I’m not the only one who thinks about such things :face_with_monocle:

(Karen) #8

Doing monk fruit. It just does drops. Countable and fits in my pocket.

K

Same. My 100g bag is over two years old with maybe another year left.

Pure sucralose is my favorite sweetener. No after taste, and you can heat it. Just had a tiny bit of it now in coffee and cream.

(Rob) #10

I use mio water flavoring and these work by ‘the squirt’. To me a squirt is determined by the pressure with which you press and the duration. My guess is that a standard squirt is low pressure, short duration.
Since the mio is colored, I can see the impact on the water color and have adjusted my pressure/duration so that 2 squirts are fine for 24oz of water. Harder to do with clear Stevia but consistency is key once you find a level you like. :ok_hand::droplet:

(Michele) #11

When simple things become complex!
I wonder if squirting into a spoon would assist with determining how much that squirt is. My terrible sense of humour then giggles and thinks - high pressure squirt will mean the liquid will hit the spoon with pressure and hey presto liquid sugar on the ceiling (well maybe not that far but just the wall and the bench!)

(Carol Orrell) #12

Don’t use equate, splenda, saccharine etc! They are all poison. Only use pure stevia.

(Consensus is Politics) #13

I would really like a reference for that please. I have been using Splenda for years. I’ve looked it up, never found anything that sounded definitive. I’m open to being convinced/ enlightened :cowboy_hat_face:

(Consensus is Politics) #14

Like when I put hot coffee in my magic bullet mixer. The seal had a catastrophic failure. Hot oily coffee all over the kitchen. Me, glasses coated, look of ‘awe frack’ on my face.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #15

I guess you have to really ask what is a poison? If I go to Wikipedia, it states “In biology, poisons are substances that cause disturbances in organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when an organism absorbs a sufficient quantity.”. By that definition, just about anything could be a poison. Take arsenic for example. It’s a well known and lethal poison yet our livers are perfectly capable of processing the tiny amounts we come across naturally all the time. Water for that matter, could be considered a poison in sufficient quantity. I’ve yet to find definitatve science that shows sucralose is a poison, especially when taken in normal quantities. From what science knows, it passes through the body relatively untouched and exits in the faces and urine over the next couple of days
I’m wholly open to seeing some real science on the matter.

What I do know, however, is that stevia leaves me with a strong and wicked after taste, so that unfortunately is off my menu.

(Sarah ) #16

Fwiw, this is a great investment , in my book. Fits standard mason jars and has a solid seal (so far). I use it ever day, sometimes more than once. https://www.amazon.com/Tribest-Single-Serving-Personal-Blender-PB-350/dp/B0034JQSP0

(Consensus is Politics) #17

Now that’s one I like. Too much industry is designed with built in obsolescence. The iPhone, of which I have now owned 4 of is a prime example. Ever wonder why the battery wasn’t designed to be removable? (By the avg user). So that every two or three years you would just replace the thing with a new one.

That blender using mason jars. Fantastic idea. Mason or Ball jars are a very solid design. I can’t say I’ve ever broken one. But I’ve broken a few magic bullets and the like.

(Sarah ) #18

True that. Very true. Based on “the way things work” I need to buy other stuff from Tribest, including things that need to be replaced more often.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #19

The little town I’m visiting this week has a mom and pop grocery store and no Splenda, but they did have the Stevia squirter! I emptied it in about 8 (500ml) coffees. Stevia tastes weird to me and I get a bit of an unsavoury aftertaste too. Sweet…kinda, bit not too sweet. I also find that one squirt or four squirts, the sweetness isn’t all that different. I’m going to try it again next time, but I’ll cut back on the quantity of Stevia and see how that tastes…

(Consensus is Politics) #20

Oh my! The little bottle I use, 50 ml size, says it has 160 servings! Ok, I’m pretty sure that’s a bit of a stretch. But it does tell you the serving size is pretty small.

I originally asked, what is a ‘squirt’. I like having statements quantified(?, is that the right word? I’m still having my coffee, but fully awake yet). To me a squirt is what happens when I squeeze it until it stops on its own. That pressure can vary day to day, and might depend on how much is left in the container as well. I finally came to a conclusion the other day. I’ll let Hysteresis decide for me. That’s one of those $100 scientific words that really pays for itself by describing a complicated condition of physics. Not complicated once you understand what it means, but trying to describe it as an everyday function, in layman’s terms, can take a sentence or two. Or more if you try to explain it to my Mom (love you Mom :kissing_heart:).

Hysteresis, basically, is the effect of overriding the resistance of force to an action. The best physical example I can think of is an old IBM type PC keyboard from the 1980’s. The really heavy ones that might break a two if it fell on your foot. Made out of a steel plate, with some plastic attached. And a long coiled up cord like that of an older rotary dial telephone hand set. The kind that gets tangled up in knots while you use it. /verbose -off ( ahem, sorry) so when you used this old style keyboard, you could touch the keys, without sending a keystroke out. If you slowly applied pressure, you could feel the Metal spring, under that key, give more and more resistance until it suddenly no longer gives resistance and all of that built up pressure you are applying at that moment is released in an instance and the key strikes down with a satisfying ‘CLICK’. Almost like flicking a switch. See what I mean about a word that conveys a lot of meaning. I love that word.

So, Hysteresis plays a role in this little bottle I discovered. As I squeeze it, I can feel the pressure build up. I squeeze slightly harder and harder, ever so slightly, and nothing happens until ‘squirt’. At which point the amount of pressure to over come the force opposing the squirt is reduced to near zero force now, and it will continue to squirt with nearly no effort. So I learned to release at the moment of overcoming Hysteresis.

Do the other day I was about to add one squirt in my coffee, and I was wondering just how much was really realeased. So I squirt it into my tablespoon. It was more than a few drops. But would probably take several squirts to fill that spoon, probably about 10, give or take a few.

Looking at it sitting innocently in my spoon made me wonder what it tasted like. I heard it was super sweet. Especially since such a small volume was all I needed for my big double sized coffee. :flushed::nauseated_face::face_vomiting: it was horrid. It was extremly bitter. It was one of those times when an old mechanical term came to mind about using grease on an axel. Less is more.

Ok kids, you have a new word for the day, Hysteresis, use it wisely, because people will look at you funny when you do. :sunglasses: