As silly as the question sounds

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

Pure stevia tastes bitter to me. Like poison.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #22

Interesting. The bottle I bought says 48 servings , 48ml.

…must be a less concentrated product.

(Brian) #23

I have done that on occasion, when I needed to add a specific amount to a recipe. Most of the time, I’m just putting a squirt in a cup of tea or something similar and don’t pay a lot of attention to exactly how much. Usually, it’s as quick of a squirt as I can manage. I haven’t bought enough bottles to have any idea of how long they last as they’re occasional use.

Now the ones with the dropper, I use for my coffee. Those I can quantify a little better by what I’ll like, how much is too much and how much is too little for the size of coffee cup (we have three different sizes). I have no idea the actual measurement but the dropper gives me enough feedback to see what I like. (I use two of them in my coffee, one is the chocolate flavor and one is the sweet / vanilla flavor, about 50/50. Not sure how I got started with that but it stuck. Can’t have Baileys anymore and this, along with some HWC, is what I could tolerate.)

(Carol Orrell) #24

You have to try different brands to see what tastes best to you. I planted one in my yard a few years back and yes it had a bitter taste.

via
Newton Mail

(Consensus is Politics) #25

And this bottle sells for $2.88. Walmart brand.

(What The Fast?!) #26

I did this with hot water and almond milk, some cocoa powder and stevia…the water was boiling as it came out of the microwave and after I screwed the lid on, it exploded directly onto my chest leaving me in the ER with second degree burns all over my chest. It’s almost a year later and I’m still healing. I learned the hard way - warm beverages in the blender…fine. HOT beverages, no way.

(Consensus is Politics) #27

Oh my. That could have been so much worse. I hope you’re doing better now (yes?).

What’s actually happening is that the air expands as it heats. There is also steam being released into that same air. Steam takes up a lot more volume than the water that it came from. Steam is very powerful. We’ve been using it to power everything from trains to nuclear reactors. My favorite Mythbusters tv show was the one about the broken water heater launching through a two story house. They replicated it with fantastic results.

So, a note to others, use a standard blender, or blending wand, to mix your coffee with. I continued using my bullet style blender for a while. I compensated after the blow out by putting the lid on loosely to allow the steam to escape. I’d give it a gentle shake as well to get the air in there as hot as it’s going to get. That way it’s as expanded as much as possible. I’d wait a few minutes before putting the lid tight. It worked fine after that with no further excitement.

I eventually got a wand, came with its own problems, like sending a cup full of coffee everywhere. TIP: don’t just turn it on. Pulse it with quick pulses. AND… if the blade has a shield on its back, place a spoon in the cup to slow the liquids speed and prevent it from reaching escape velocity :sunglasses:.

I now have a new proper blender. It’s new, but it looks like the very same one my mom had in the 1960’s, only it’s not avocado green, it’s black. Same style. Works great.

(What The Fast?!) #28

The skin is still healing, I have to keep it out of the sun for another 8 months (18 months total) which is fairly frustrating in Las Vegas. :slight_smile: I’ll live, and I know that it could have been worse. It could have been my face, rather my breast. The good news is that halter top bikinis are still in this season. :sunglasses:

(Trish) #29

Crap, the liquid stevia drops (180 servings ) is like almost 20 bucks here in Ontario. The little packets are 8-11 bucks for a box of 100. :frowning:

(Michele) #30

I know what you mean about the Baileys :frowning:

You can actually use a mason jar in place of the blender jar on a blender. I have used pint and quart jars depending on what I was blending. I have used it to make small quantities of whipped cream and butter when I didn’t want to make enough to use my mixer. No special blender needed.

(Sarah ) #32

Yes all standard Oster brand blenders fit mason jars. The newer smaller oster dont. I’ve had several catastrophic seal failures with oster though. The plastic/blade/screw on part, doesn’t handle the heat changes and the constant twisting on and off, as well. They just crack. I think the Tribest brand is made of nylon rather than plastic? Its a different material for sure, and so far it’s never even leaked. Also oster tends to be very noisy. Also it’s about twice the size and weight much more. (probably good if I was mixing heavier stuff) Also Tribest has special blade attachments for making flour or grinding seeds. So, personal preference.

(mary6aros) #33

I’ve been buying this for the family to make Kool aid and tea since they all get so very tired of water. Never read the package before tonight. 🤦 It’s got maltodextrin!

I’ll be having to find something else, now. Thoughts on sucralose? We’re none diabetic, but the Hubby and I are overweight and full keto.
:joy:With a family of eight, we may just have to enjoy the water a bit more, this bag was $7 and all the other bulk sweeteners I think are higher!:wink: I did buy this for the FIL when he comes since he usually only uses Equal: It’s erythritol and stevia.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #34

You might find that the only AS that will not have filler will be liquid versions (water is the filler in them) rather than package ones that measure spoon for spoon. Most AS, without the fillers, are much sweeter than sugar.

(Candy Lind) #35

IIRC Splenda does have maltodextrin in the powder & packet forms. Correct me if I’m wrong …

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

Filler of some sort. Might be maltodextrin, might be something else.

(mary6aros) #37

Thanks, I’ll check some liquid versions out. I may just make unsweetened tea (my fav anyhoo) and add a few drops to the kid’s glasses.

(Candy Lind) #38

You guys that use pure sucralose, do you carry some with you for commute or traveling? Or use the liquid? What do you use to measure the powder? Would you say it’s similar in volume to pure steviacide powder (if you have used both)?

(PJ) #39

Oh my gosh!! Yeah for sure. Bullet blenders added something that blenders didn’t use to have I think – a ‘fully enclosed’ environment. Most regular blenders have a small opening on top that is pointedly for not just adding things, but for ‘venting’ when the liquids are hot (better to be warm not hot). I see that post was a long time ago, hope it’s totally well by now.

(Karen) #40

I use Splenda zero. I carry some in my jacket pocket. I carry some in my purse. I carry some in the car. I’m retired now but I used to have some at work. And of course in the cupboard. I only use it in tea and coffee. I don’t make keto desserts.