Artificial sweeteners may make healthy people sick when paired with carbs

sugar

(Troy) #1

Sugar + Carbs
Go figure

Small sample study as well

I’m just the messenger😬

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/13/artificial-sweetener-splenda-eaten-carbs-could-make-you-sick/5030688002/

(Central Florida Bob ) #2

As junk science goes, this one is particularly stupid.

They didn’t demonstrate that Splenda paired with “carbs” was the problem. They only tested it with ONE carb, Maltodextrin.

They gave a small group of people three different sweeteners: Splenda alone (I assume the pure liquid), sugar (I assume table sugar) and Splenda with Maltodextrin. The last group had a measurable effect. That’s not “carbs” that’s one, specific carb.

Then they say,

To rule out the possibility that the maltodextrin was the cause, researchers performed a follow-up experiment and found no evidence that the carbohydrate alone could alter insulin sensitivity.

That is exactly the wrong thing to do if you’re trying to demonstrate Splenda and “carbs” are a problem. That’s testing if Maltodextrin itself is what caused the reaction without an artificial sweetener.

If they wanted to test whether Splenda and “carbs” were the problem, they should have put something other than Maltodextrin in there.

Then they go straight to saying having a diet soda with Splenda and French Fries is a bad idea. Their study showed nothing of the sort. They never measured Splenda with anything other than Maltodextrin.

Another example of the paper that said up to 70% of published science was wrong. When they can’t even get the protocol right…