Article: Scientists discover brain mechanism that regulates body weight

(Jacqui) #1

Interesting article. Based on rodents, as many studies are, so may not really be applicable to humans.
I wonder if ketosis has an effect on this neurotransmitter, or whether it is unrelated.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

That’s interesting, I did a forum search on Interleukin 6 and it comes up under different topics. :cowboy_hat_face:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?context=topic&context_id=89086&q=interleukin-6%20(IL-6)&skip_context=true

(Libby) #3

“The fact that obesity may be related to inflammation in the central nervous system is also known from before.”

That was food for thought. It wasn’t known to me before…

Doesn’t matter, though, cause being female this whole thing is irrelevant. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Jacqui) #4

Doesn’t matter, though, cause being female this whole thing is irrelevant. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apparently :joy::thinking:
I did wonder whether it may be something to do with carrying young.

(Ethan) #5

I like how they then go to how it might be used to treat obesity. I wonder what would happen if they studied insulin levels in obese vs normal-weight individuals…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

We know that high insulin blocks the leptin receptors in thy hypothalamus that are supposed to let the brain know when we have enough fat on board. This is evolutionarily sensible, when we want to fatten up for the winter, but not so useful when carbohydrates are abundant year-round. . . :bacon:

(Ethan) #7

My comment was totally sarcastic, btw. We all know how chronically high insulin breaks metabolism, but then scientific community rarely acknowledges it

(Ken) #8

Science has known about the Hexsosamine Biosynthetic Pathway for about 20 years now…

Yes, I’ve been meaning to compose a well-referenced post about inflammation and whether it’s a cause or effect of insulin resistance and obesity, but it gets complicated and I haven’t got around to it yet. Let’s say they’re at least well-correlated. It’s also known that an acute stimulation of the immune system, like via illness or injury, will increase insulin resistance and cholesterol levels. A chronic inflammatory condition wreaks all kind of havoc in the body, CNS included.