Article on research pinpointing the connection between high blood glucose and Alzheimer's Disease

sugar
alzheimers

(Sharon A Peters) #1

Interesting research(“Scientists Pinpoint Blood Sugar-Alzheimer’s Tipping Point”) claims that elevated blood glucose and the ensuing glycation of proteins - and now, thanks to this research - the glycation of an enzyme, MIF (macrophage migratory inhibition factor). Seems MIF is called in as an immune response to a build up of abnormal proteins in the brain. These abnormal proteins are found, post-mortem, to be built up in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients , long with an altered form of MIF that did not do its clean-up job apparently due to the effects of glycation which alters the ability of the MIF to do its vacuuming and clean-sweeping job on thos abnormal proteins, so they simply continue to build up and wreak havoc in the brain.

Sadly, and coming as no surprise, the end of the report on this article appearing in a recent Sunday edition of the Scottish paper, The Herald, natters on about how folks were right: we eat too much sugar, and this is why we shouldn’t eat so much of it. Sad because it says nothing about the rapid conversion to glucose of other, non-sugary foods and how they play a large role in elevating blood glucose, and keeping it elevated (I’ll give the paper and reporter a walk for now on the failure to mention insulin’s role in all of this). The article goes on to happily mention how pinpointing the MIF-Glucose-Alzheimer’s link will aid in the development of drugs to undo what the glucose is doing to the MIF. Oh, think of it! BigPharma finally has a clearer path through the morass! Let’s all go out and invest in pharmaceutical companies …

I read about the mapping of the MIF-BG-Alzheimer’s link with excitement: hey! does keto ever have a natural, normal road address that situation! But read on, and you find that what I have come to call “the black box” of the relationship of “on the plate” vs “in the body” - that is what are the things on the plate and what do they become once I have taken them into my body? Table sugar, likely the biggest offender, is not the only, or only big offender. No mention here of the other starches on the plate, So by implication, a doughnut without the sugary glaze is OK - because it doesn’t have that much sugar? No, but it’s got other things that go straight to glucose in the body, as well. And once the glucose is high, and stays that way, the door has been thrown wide open. I finished reading the article about this research and began banging my head on the table: there is an answer and a “cure” for this situation, but guess which one is acknowledged and talked about. Yes, drugs. Not diet. Not looking into “the black box” to learn how the raw materials on the plate are converted and utilized in the body … the place where the rubber well and truly meets the road.

Aren’t we fortunate that we have some understanding - increasing understanding - of what the real “cure” for this is? I know I am …

When I get a copy of the research, I’ll post it here. And here it is: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep42874

(Cathy Schroder) #2

It’s insane that pharmaceuticals are touted as the cure instead of stopping the ingestion of sugar at the source!

(Jo Lo) #3

Imagine getting separate prescriptions for high blood pressure, high blood sugar, obesity, low HDL/high LDL, gout, heart disease, stroke, cancer, dementia, low T, high trigs, NAFLD, PCOS, and then more and more prescriptions for all the side effects caused by prescriptions and their bad interactions.

when a possible cause for all is insulin resistance, which can be effectively treated through diet.

It’s probably not so simple, but then again…

(Louise ) #4

Wow! The Dudes here at Breckinridge just heard (and saw the graphs) from Ivor’s talk about Insulin Resistance and various diseases such as Alzheimer’s too!

(Sharon A Peters) #5

Wow, indeed! I found the article as it appeared in the journal, Nature.
It’s a technical read, but worth the effort. And this is just the tip of
the iceberg … there’s so much more research going on and so much that
needs to be carried out. But the cure … hey, the cure is pretty
straightforward … and cheap.

(Arlene) #6

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Why would you fund a study, unless you could PROFIT from it?

(Cathy Schroder) #7

Call me naive but I would like to think that when our government moans about the rising costs of healthcare that they may care to fund a study into a solution that would cost them very little to reverse their situation…

Can’t keep a straight face for that long!

(Arlene) #8

Love it, love it, love it.

(Jennie) #9

I completely agree. I accidentally found keto and I’ve not looked back. Now all I see around me are people who could benefit from the information and countless drug ads to treat issues keto could help with.

Thanks for sharing this article. I hope when I read it I don’t also bang my head on the table.

(Sharon A Peters) #10

I am re-reading it now … it has a tremendous amount of references to chemical and biochemical tech terms and procedures; however it does a better than decent job of filling in some of those gaps, so it is surprisingly accessible. As they walk you through the way they set up these tests in the lab to track the effects of glucose on MIF, it becomes frighteningly clear just how a diet of foods that are easily and rapidly convertible into glucose in the body are sorta like drinking Drano … just not as swiftly acting … The more I am confronted by information and research like this, the more determined I am to learn everything I can, work with anyone who is sincerely looking for answers and not a “fix”, and grateful that I am still alive and chugging alone. One downside: it seems that as my glucose levels decrease, so does my patience for those who maintain a “cheat” day, cheat and whine about it, post a photo of a food label that clearly contains sugars and rapidly digestible carbs, and asks “Is this OK?” This is a very empowering way of eating and learning experience … maybe that is its ultimate gift. Anyway, I look forward to the ongoing Keto Rebellion Against BigPharma Cashing In on Diabetes …

(Arlene) #11

All addiction requires a mindset to break the addiction, and carb addiction is no different. Even armed with the truth about the dangers of sugar, it can take some of us many tries to finally get the “never look back” mindset to kick this habit to the curb permanently. I feel like I may have finally arrived in the “never look back” mindset, but I am ever mindful of my many failures along the way, and the ease at which I could slip back into the addiction if I ever let my guard down.