Article in Guardian, no sugar, low carb

Tom Watson, labour MP, loses weigh following Pioppi Diet and the Fast Diet.

Just good to know that an MP wants to change the food system. Good luck mate!

He’s had great results.

I was intrigued what diet he follows, it’s outlined here:

(Bunny) #3

The bodies ability to oxidize sugar as you age?

Not exactly keto but still remarkable:

Sugar, Watson realised, might be the real problem. So, the first thing he did was cut out all refined sugar, and the processed foods that often have hidden sugar in them. He went through his kitchen cupboards and threw out all the tempting snacks and products such as pasta. “I would avoid, slightly more controversially, a lot of starchy carbs,” he says. “I do have some brown rice and occasionally pasta when I’m out. If I have bread, I have it made with almond flour.

“I started to feel really, really good quite quickly. My sleep improved after about a week and a half.” Watson’s blood glucose levels were normal within a month – he was still on medication – and after three months, his long-term blood sugar levels were also within normal range. Two months ago,he came off medication. “I consider myself diabetic and a reformed sugar addict because I know that if I take sugar in again, the condition will come back. But I’m liberated. I don’t get tired, I don’t get the thing called ‘brain fog’ when your mental acuity is deadened a bit. All of that is gone. I feel more energetic.” When he went for an eye test, his sight had improved.

Around the same time as cutting out sugar, he started exercising, which wasn’t easy because he was so heavy. “I set myself little goals to start with. The first was I decided to use whatever stairs I came to, rather than the lift. I’d forgotten it was 36 steps to my office.” He laughs. “The first time I went up the steps, I felt I would probably need oxygen at the end of it.

How sugar reduces oxygen in the blood?