Article "I spent 3 weeks on the keto diet"

:smile: Ali

(Allie) #2

I won’t waste the five mins this reading would take… three weeks…

Indeed. However if you did read it you’ll learn her T1D boyfriend lowered his BGs and intends to stay keto due to better control. So sometimes we have to look at the detail… She makes some stupid comments thru lack of knowledge but I’m pleased I read it and would encourage others to do so if they’ve got 5 mins to spare. Ali

(Michelle) #4

It was a good little article. She went in with no preconceived notions and gave an honest description of her experience. I am not T1D but I have a few friends whose teenage children are, and I’m always curious as to how the keto WOE would work for them. Not that teenagers follow the directions of their parents or their parents’ friends…

Agreed, seems some stuff was off, but ultimately one more person that got the message that carbs aren’t really your friend and like most that are now going normal low carb she’ll probably be full keto 6mo from now.

(Michelle) #6

I’m very interested in her boyfriend’s keto journey.

(Bunny) #7

Like the ending paragraph…lol

“… Not all carbs are bad (in fact, you need carbs to live), but I realize that I was eating too much of the processed junk. So even though Nick and I had two very different experiences on the keto diet, I think we will both continue to eat more leafy greens, lean (we need to talk Nick?) protein (we need a break from all the beef), and slash our carb intakes. And I think Brierley will be happy to hear that, too. …”

Keto on Nick! :+1:

Hi Michelle, I am T1D since childhood: 45 years ago! I’ve been eating the keto way since mid Feb’18 and it has improved my BG control dramatically, allowed me to lose weight slowly and reduce bolus insulin by approx. 80%. I feel so much better despite considering myself to be well controlled previously. I have no T1D side effects. I no longer get the peaks and troughs of BG levels. I’d happily recommend to any T1D. The UK NHS have just recently started to recruit for T1Ds to follow a LC diet so watch this space. Go onto this website for diabetics in the Uk; now features keto!!! :smile: Ali
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

It was an okay article - more exposure for keto. But why do the writers always get the details wrong. For instance, stating that (after an extensive Google search, yet, yoghurt was not permitted on keto.)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

Not to belabor anything, but I get enough of people’s 3 week experiences here, and tell them all to give it six weeks, at least. Everyone feels like crap at 3 weeks. That’s fat adaptation and sugar fume expiration. Duh. And yes, you spend 20 days getting on towards full fat adaptation, and then you dump a big meal which you top with cake… yes, you will suffer.

I’m amused by her takeaways.

1. more leafy greens,
  2. lean protein
  3. we need a break from all the beef
  4. slash our carb intakes

Moar Leafy Greens is just the programming talking to you. That’s fine. Just don’t make it the focus.

Lean Protein fundamentally misunderstands what is effective about keto. I eat some lean protein, as I’m really more LC than Keto, but, fundamentally, you need to eat some fat to make your caloric needs, and a lot of chicken breasts and lean pork loin won’t get ya there.

A break from beef is fine, I guess, but swapping the beef for lean poultry is really sub optimal.

Slashing carb intakes: At the end of the day, this is the single recommendation that produces the most results. Keep carbs low, watch the magic flow, more or less, unless you have six copies of the Amylase gene, in which case, eat all the bread you want and F the F off.

Oh, and stay the Hell away from Brierly, she’s either nefarious or moronic. It’s hard to tell with dieticians.