Are you dense?

(Bart) #3

people used to tell me I did not need to loose any weight, I distributed it very well I guess. When I first lost 55 pounds people at first said I looked too thin, now I get told how great I look. I think people you know get used to how you look, for good or bad.

I think people should lose the weight they want to lose, look how they want to look and not worry about what other people say. What will make you feel good.

(Danielle) #4

I think the waist to height ratio is a better way to go. http://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/waist-to-height-ratio

(Joy Cho) #5

I think density (haha) runs in my family!! I’m 5’7" and the skinniest I ever got was 147 pounds back in the phen-fen days. Based on the height/weight scale, 147 was overweight. I comfortably wore a size 9/10. When I stood by myself, I looked lean and healthy. My friends were concerned I was becoming anorexic. They found me too skinny. If I stood next to my “normal-sized” friends, I looked overweight because they have smaller body frames. That Waist/Height measurement sounds interesting though and I will look into it when I have a moment.

(Jan) #6

I noticed this when my daughter was a toddler (30+ yrs ago). When I would pick up her friends, I’d nearly throw them to the ceiling; when their mom’s would pick up my daughter, they didn’t get her off the ground with the first attempt. They all looked about the same size.
Up until this time, I couldn’t figure out why I was always 25 lbs heavier than the height-weight charts said I should be, but had no fat on my bod. I was very fit, and I could never get any thinner. My daughter and I, and my own mother, are all built the same. I’m guessing it might be a bone density thing?

There is quite a bit of variation in bone density. I have extremely dense bones (99th percentile) as hown on DEXA scans and I quick calculation shows that I am 4 pounds heavier than someone of the exact dimensions in the 50th percentile. does this explain your “density?”. probably not completely

Check out this post by @baconmecrazy…says it all really.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #9

I’ve heard of people having so dense bones that they couldn’t float and found swimming difficult.
(I suspect they had very little fat as well).

You are most probably genetically blessed with great musculature and muscles are heavier than fat.

(Michelle) #11

I echo @Bartdorman. Go with what you feel is right for you. Ignore the noise. Sometimes, what people say and what people think are often completely different. :wink:

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #12

Yep, I’m a dense one. 5’2" and pretty dense musculature. Hey, if you like the way you look naked, F the number on the scale.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

I hail from that notorious blonde Germanic stock of large-breasted, Bierstein-hefting barmaid types. Not a damned thing we can do to get skinny other than illness or desert island crash landing. On the other hand, cleavage for miles.

(Jan) #14

@Aqua_chonk, me too! All except the blond part. You know that van Gough painting, The Potato Eaters? http://www.vangoghgallery.com/catalog/Painting/453/Potato-Eaters,-The.html. I sometimes imagine those are my long-lost relatives. Explains the carb intolerance too!:grin:

(Kathy Meyer) #15

Yup, I fit into that category also. Of hardy European stock – meant to be strong and do hard labor all day, and have nice wide hips to breed children.

(Jennifer) #16

Yep, me too. I have always been stocky and muscular. I wonder if I had a higher level of testosterone that has helped muscle development. Have any of you seen the length of finger research? Let me dig it up…

Here is one… It doesn’t really get into body type and testosterone, but I think the assumption can be made that if your mom secretes high testosterone to the womb, genetically you could inherit that high testosterone. Which could lead to a more muscular build. Hypothetically of course.

(Jan) #17

@birddog27, that’s very interesting! My ring finger is definitely longer than my index finger. All that rings true for me, except that I’m definitely hetero. (And no, I’m not a homophobe, I have many dear friends in both camps…I just really, really like dudes). I’m gonna see what my daughter’s fingers look like tonight when she gets home from work. Interesting!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

My index and ring finger are equal lengths but my left boob is larger than my right and I can wiggle both ears. I think it means I’m underpaid.

(Jan) #19

Yeah, but can you roll your tongue? Do the Spock eyebrow thing? Pick up things from the floor with your monkey toes? oh yeah, I got talent. Marketable talent…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Yes, three ways. Yes, either eyebrow. Yes, both feet. And I can move just one eyeball at a time. I went to college.

(Jan) #21

DANG, you’re talented! Definitely underpaid! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #22

I clicked on the link, and read the article, but what was funny was, while reading this article about sexuality, google (or someone) had decided to place a whole series of illustrated advertisements down the side of the ext, for very tight-fitting and “bulgy” swimwear…(I do recently happen to have ordered some swimwear online, but I think this is also a case of "content-related advertising …).
:wink: