Are There Really Carbs in Black Coffee?

(Natasha) #1

I don’t usually log my coffee on MFP but today, for the first time, I thought I would. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the carb content that MFP lists for an Ameicano (black) and this is similar for all brands (I tried Starbucks, Costa and Nero) - can anyone tell me if this is actually correct?

(Jody) #2

I’m going to pretend I didn’t read this. :see_no_evil:

(Jennibc) #3

Is MFP “My Fitness Pal”? If so, as far as I know that’s a user generated database which is prone to all kinds of misinformation. Instead, better to go to Starbucks nutrition page and see what they are reporting

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?food=bakery#view_control=nutrition&drink=brewed-coffee&food=bakery

(less is more, more or less) #4

Yea, depending on how you look up the coffee in the database, you’ll find a highly divergent accounting for carbs.

I’m guessing some tallies presume one is eating the grounds. Visit https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts and enter “Black Coffee” click through each entry, you’ll see a surprise variation in content.

I follow Dr. Westman, and use his page 4 guidance on coffee:

Caffeinated beverages: Some patients find that their caffeine intake interferes with their weight loss and blood sugar control. With this in mind, you may have up to 3 servings of coffee (black, or with artificial sweetener and cream), tea (unsweetened or artificially sweetened), or Caffeinated diet soda per day.

(traci simpson) #5

Ditto

(Jane) #6

I trust Chronometer. It says 0 carbs for brewed coffee

(Scott) #7

Do you eat the grounds? That may up the carbs a bit.

(Natasha) #8

Aha! That will probably be it. Phew!

(Natasha) #9

Hahaha!!! Do I have something stuck in my teeth? :joy:

(Jennibc) #10

And the fiber!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Okay, I found this out several months ago. I drink espresso, which Cronometer gives .5 carbs per ounce. The reason is the fine grind and bean particles being in the brew.

Americano is half espresso topped up with hot water. So yes, a little carbs. I use a standard KRUPS home espresso machine with a 1 cup carafe. I let it fill a little more than half and count that as 2 carbs. You gotta account for it, not ignore them. Stay honest with yourself. Brewed or drip coffee will only have trace carbs. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Natasha) #12

Oh no!! I was hoping I could ignore them! I use a French press/cafetière, I’m guessing the carbs are in that last mouthful of grind I sometimes choke on in my haste!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

French presses need a coarse grind. Actually harder to get an even grind for it. Too many fine particles make it bitter. A good hand crank burr grinder works best.

I was going to buy this one when I gave up on inexpensive electric burr grinders and went back to my 25 year old blade grinder because it makes good espresso grinds. But the reviews or this grinder are high rated and it will probably be my next grinder. People claim it makes perfect coarse or fine grinds without a lot a variation. Perfect for a French press.

Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill - “Skerton” https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lkCYCb5Y4ZAV3

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

According to the USDA food composition database, 12 ounces of Eight O’Clock ground coffee contains 1.01 grams of carbohydrate. Unfortunately, I have no idea how that translates to brewed coffee.

However, I have read on these forums many comments to the effect that the MFP database can be wildly unreliable. Have you checked what Cronometer has to say?

ETA: I just checked, and the amount of ground coffee needed to make a 60-ounce pot of coffee weighs 1 ounce. So however large your coffee cups, you are not going to be drinking a large quantity of carbohydrate at all.

(less is more, more or less) #15

MFP’s data problem is that they’re a club anyone can join. That is, anyone can submit bad data. That’s not to say all data on MFP is bad. Cronometer has similarly highly divergent carbohydrate values for coffee.

Score one for the Page 4 approach.

(Jennibc) #16

Dang, I drink about six shots of espresso every morning (three small americanos) I was not counting those three carbs. And before anyone shrieks about six shots of espresso, an shot of espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Are you talking “shot” as in shot glass?

ETA: I mean, I could also understand if it were “shot” as in injection, lol! :grin:

(Carl Keller) #18

When I was a carb burner, I would have tried a coffee IV to help get me out of bed. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

(Jennibc) #20

Yes, you measure espresso with a shot glass! I worked for Starbucks WAAAAY back when it was just a few stores in Seattle. I learned how to make espresso with a pump driven machine. I make way better espesso than those hack baristas do today with their fully automated machines.