Are low, but not low enough, carbs even worse?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

I would think that eating 100 or 150 gm’s of carbs a day, would be enough to not allow for ketosis, but still not enough to satiate a person.
I feel like a person should “just do it”… And keep there carbs at least below 40… But to be safe (as is often suggested here) down around 20gms…
Or don’t even bother with keto.

I’m just sure that there are folks out there who believe it might help them to cut there carbs from 300 or 400 gm’s a day, to 150… and I’m just not sure their would be any benefit from this at all. In fact, I think some of those folks, based on that experience, might decide keto just doesn’t work, and is not right for them… Not really knowing how it might actually help, if done correctly.

Your opinions please.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

‘Lower carb’ is better than ‘high carb’. ‘Low carb’ is better than lower carb. Keto is better than low carb. Reducing carbs is better than not, however low you go.

You don’t get off the plane half way to Hawaii

(Robert C) #4

150 grams of carbs will affect a 6+ foot 220 pound person that runs 10 miles a day very differently than a sedentary 160 pound person. The tall runner would probably do well to drop to 150 and would probably go into ketosis. Sedentary petite people probably would not benefit from going down to 150 in terms of ketosis (straight calorie reduction would be a benefit).

I don’t think you can talk in absolute terms given differences like size and daily activity level.

That (I think) is why the 20 gram limit was chosen, even a bedridden very small person will fall into ketosis.

(Daisy) #5

Shawn Mynar talks all the time about this. You’re putting yourself in “low carb purgatory”. Getting not many benefits but always feeling bad.

It’s an interesting topic, I always was curious about it. I just know many of us loves low-carb even if it’s not keto.

I went low-carb about 9 years ago. I had my keto times, my super short carbier times but I spend almost the whole time below 80g net carbs and out of keto. It feels great.
100-150g is too carby, I get carb poisoning soon and that’s not nice (though always ends with keto, I run back to heal. if I was a masochist enough to get severe symptoms. i.e. stomachache, that’s pretty serious in my hedonist books).
I get satiated if I eat enough protein, little enough carbs and enough calories (I can get full on high-carb too but it’s not that nice and long-lasting satiation I like). The less carbs I eat, the easier to get satiated.

Cutting carbs has its usefulness especially if you reach that by cutting out sugar. You can have a way healthier and more satisfied, satiated diet! I don’t think many people reach 400g carbs from vegetables and nuts… I could do 200g on some days (without legumes and other carby ones) and even this isn’t typical.
I was a special case. Carbs made me hungry. The more carbs I ate, the more fat I had to eat to avoid feeling starved (and surely my protein intake had to go very high as well. it’s not that important if it’s already high but if I eat something, I typically eat protein as well, dunno how others avoid that). I think it changed at super high carb intake but I already ate for 2 at that point. Overeating is bad even if your genetics keep you from becoming extremely fat. And I eat at maintenance on keto, more on low-carb and much more on higher-carb. And I feel worse and worse. Keto is best, <80g is wonderful, almost as good, 100-150g is doable for 1-2-3 days but I get worse and worse and high-carb is something hellish from my ancient past (but I can do it for a day and I have some change I won’t feel sick. it depends on the level of my - garanteed - overeating and the food I use).
So the less carbs, the better, it’s not a problem if it’s not keto.
Whatever my body does, I always feel it’s true.

But I wonder about my SO. He still does HCHF as we don’t see any other option. He’s thriving on it. He eats his carbs with passion, I make keto/low-carb food… I don’t feel responsible as he always ate very fatty, I just make my best to lower his carbs in the only way I can at the moment (though it’s a side effect, I just like it). My instinct says it’s better to eat fattier than carbier but who knows what is good for him? But as he won’t avoid eating more fat than me anyway and I definitely won’t stop cooking food I can eat, it doesn’t matter much, I’m just curious how his body might work… I just know EVERYTHING satiates him about the same, of course we didn’t try everything, just very various macros, they don’t matter. It’s about calories, it may be 5% or 95% carbs, it can be simple quick carbs too, it still gives long-term satiation for him (9-10 hour, light physical work and some more strenuous activity). He’s not even choosy but loves his fatty things in big amounts and can’t eat (and doesn’t want to try again) fatty protein without a mountain of carbs. Unless it’s a dessert. So, it stays HCHF. But in order to avoid weight gain, it should be less carbs than 3-400g.

Maybe lowering carb intake is a bad idea for some people. Surely, there are so many different people.
But I would think it’s a good idea for most people. The ideal carb intake is individual though. Low-carb is way too wide… It should be fine for most people. 150g is so damn high, many people eat like that to begin with especially with a small energy need.

EDIT: Another thing. I couldn’t do keto after high-carb. I needed to do it in 2 jumps. Some people probably need to do it more gradually if at all. Low-carb might be temporal or it can be a destination. I think if low-carb feels good (or not but it’s surely not because our body NEEDS carbs for some reason even if it’s not essential for humans), it’s worth to try keto as well. But it might feel worse. Some people feels better on higher-carb, they get enervated on low-carb. Just like I get enervated on high-carb. Despite having similar bodies, we people feels best on different diets, even on different carb intake, it seems. My sweet spot is 35-80g net carbs so I almost always am there. There is a keto benefit I like but I still don’t think it’s ideal for me to force keto on myself. If it’s easy, I do it, if I want to eat some more carbs, I do that and enjoy myself, knowing I will feel about just as good except I won’t wake up that easily. Many keto benefits people talk about? I have them on low-carb as well or not even on keto, not even when I really go low with my carbs.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

:grinning: lol Good analogy.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

That would be my train of thought…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Hey Rob, all very true. So maybe I should have said, concerning an individual, let’s just say, myself. What if I could stay in ketosis at 40 gms carbs a day, but I was eating 80 GM’s ? Wouldn’t you think I’d just feel starved, but getting no benefits from ketosis either ? Wouldn’t you think I’d be better off eating the standard American diet, even if I had to fight my appetite, and cut some calories ?

(Susan) #10

I feel really sick if I go above 20 grams of carbs (net) I am usually below 10 or even zero some days.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

You’re a unicorn. :sunglasses:

(Robert C) #12

Ketosis doesn’t work that way - simply by grams per day.

It is easy to be in ketosis if 80 grams of carbs went down 60 at breakfast, 20 and lunch and a steak for dinner.
You’d be in ketosis from late afternoon / evening until the next day’s breakfast (12 to 16 hours - and it would be beneficial).

The 40 grams you are talking about is ketosis 24 hours a day - but more than half the day of fat burning on 80 grams a day is good too.

Moving to SAD would be BAD - that includes snacking constantly until your head hits the pillow and keeping yourself out of ketosis 24 hours a day.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Okay, thank you. It sounds like you have done this long enough to know what works best for you.
While I believe I can stay in ketosis at 40’ish gm’s per day, I also believe that I get big benefits, especially staying satiated, if eating low enough to stay in ketosis… Permanently :slightly_smiling_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #14

Well I was just generalizing to make a point…

(Robert C) #15

Right - but the real point is 80 is much better than SAD.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

I think if someone is living off of fast food, chips, cola and microwave burritos then even keeping the carb count the same but switching to veg, meat and water would make a HUGE difference. I think some people need to do it in a few jumps, like Shinita said. If your diet is horrible and you are told you have to not only switch but also stay below 20 g a day or you aren’t doing it right, I can see how people may throw their hands up and quit.

(Susan) #17

I think the dangerous part of all this is once people have achieved their goal weight and are in Maintenance they can get a bit careless with keeping track or not really thinking that they are going over as much as they might be because they stop tracking so they end up not weighing as much or at all either. Before they know it, they notice their clothes are getting tight, and they are getting some of the SAD diet symptoms back (achy joints, headaches, hunger all the time, etc. that many of us had pre-keto) and so they weigh themselves and are like “eek I have gained X number of pounds! how did that happen?” -then they come back here and are like " have to get back on track" --in the time I have been here, I have seen this a number of times.

I am wayyyy far away from my goal and Maintenance, but I know for sure that I will be tracking/weighing all the time even when I am at Maintenance and forever and watching myself like a hawk always and only deviating from the strict plan on special occasions for that one meal,etc because I am working so hard and I am never going back to where I was before starting. I will continue as long as this takes then stay Keto for life, with keeping track =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

I think I should elaborate on my original response above as to why exactly I think keto is better than what I call ‘lower’ and ‘low’ carb. Even Amy Berger, who is one of my go-to references, does not talk about this in the linked article. That is: β-Hydroxybutyrate . The more scientists examine this ketone, which is simply the reduced form of acetoacetate, the more good things they discover about how it works and what it does that benefits our metabolism and overall health. You only get it in ketosis and you will benefit from being bathed in it internally rather than not. While it’s beneficial to reduce carbs you enter a new category of beneficial when β-Hydroxybutyrate is present in significant amounts. That is only possible in ketosis.

(Robert C) #19

and there is this (from today) - much more than fat loss…:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #20

Here’s the link to the paper DeLauer mentions: