Are high blood glucose levels an effect rather than the cause of diabetes?

science

(Brent Evans) #1

Interesting, but I think both the causes of and treatments for diabetes are pretty clear. Still, any elucidation of the complex biochemical web that is our bodies is important and possibly a future treatment.

(Bunny) #2

Published on May 17, 2012 Learn about DHA, the precursor to methylglyoxal in manuka honey and the possibility of future research from two of the leading manuka honey researchers Prof Thomas Henle (Technical University of Dresden, Germany) and Prof Peter Molan (University of Waikato, New Zealand). Learn more about MGO Manuka Honey here - www.manukahealth.co.nz/research.cfm

Published on May 17, 2012 Professor Thomas Henle from the Technical University in Dresden, Germany led the team of researchers who were first able to document that methylglyoxal was the compound in manuka honey responsible for its unique antibacterial activity. Here Prof Henle talks about the research that led to this discovery.
Learn more here www.manukahealth.co.nz/manuka_honey.cfm

1. Understanding the Impact of Omega-3 Rich Diet on the Gut Microbiota

2. Methylglyoxal content in Southern African Honey: Antibacterial and ā€¦ - University of Pretoria

3. Kinetics of conversion of dihydroxyacetone (DHA) to methylglyoxal in New Zealand mānuka honey: Part IV - Formation of HMF.

4. Methylglyoxal and the Ketogenic Diet ā€“ The Miraculous Compound that got Bad-Mouthed by Ignorance

5. Ketosis leads to increased methylglyoxal production on the Atkins diet.

6. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/role-of-chromium-vanadium-glut4/33861

(Alan Williamson) #3

It is a myth

(Bunny) #4

Never seen this Doctor Berg vid!

4700 milligrams (thereine or thereof) of potassium (a day) from leafy greens and veggies ā€¦this is the part where I get up on the kitchen table and counter tops and ( ( ( scream ) ) ) how important it is throwing ( ( ( violence ) ) ) pots and pans across the kitchen! (why no fat is being burned on keto)

Get sick of salads so I usually chop everything up in the blender especially kale, other leafy greens and veggies with some wheat grass, chia seeds and non fortified nutritional yeast and it tastes like s#%t (oh yeah), but I got use to it!

Insulin growth factor IGF, fascinating!

(TJ Borden) #5

He had me until ā€œkale shakeā€ā€¦ Iā€™m out.

@atomicspacebunny, how did this get by you? We depend on you to bring us stuff like this. Youā€™re slippingā€¦ :grin:

(Bunny) #6

Lol

It seems to be true for flies and rats. :grinning:

I ate carefully formulated lower carb smoothies for breakfast and lunch for a year (2012-13). They had either kale, spring greens or spinach, plus raw zucchini, cabbage, avocado and a handful of berries and a smaller handful of pear or apple or pineapple. Also water and a few cashew or macadamia nuts. I added MSM, barleygrass and spirulina.

Ate v low carb the rest of each day.

Donā€™t think those smoothies helped my liver at all because at the end of that year I was hitting diabetic blood glucose levels.

I also had bad knees and sore hand joints. Climbing stairs was v painful and holding kitchen knives was nearly impossible. These pains have cleared up by excluding plants from the menu. My blood glucose is below pre-diabetic too (UK criteria).

(TJ Borden) #9

With:

I think you answered your question before you asked itā€¦

I didnā€™t ask a question. I stated facts.

And since you werenā€™t in my kitchen standing next to me while I was blending those smoothies you are not in a position to pass judgement on the proportions of ingredients or the size of my hands.

Remember the bit where I said ā€˜well formulatedā€™?
Well, they were.

Berg advocated 9 cups of veg a day for liver and overall health. That doesnā€™t work for me, and makes me ache.

(TJ Borden) #11

That was intended as far more light hearted than it clearly came across, my apologies.

I like a lot of the simple explanations dr Berg gives, but I question anyone saying we need to consume that volume of vegetables when there seem to be so many on this forum that are improving their health with little to no veggies.

My comments were aimed more to the glucose issue. I know I wouldnā€™t be able to eat ANY fruit on a daily basis and have my glucose not hit diabetic levels.

As far as judgement, I want passing any. You did that yourself, you said the smoothies made you ache and raised your glucose levels. KCKO

Thanks. And you are right. Iā€™ve spent most of the last 30 yrs diligently packing in those non starchy veg and antioxidant rich berries because everyone KNOWS they are good for us, donā€™t they?

Yet I feel so much better without them.

Nowadays My blood glucose can cope with berries fine, so long as they are smothered in cream and after a protein meal. But I no longer see any benefit to eating them :grin: