Apples - 19 net carbs?!

I am totally using this next time someone accuses me of not eating enough fruit! :joy:

('Jackie P') #22

I used to love watermelon with feta cheese, mint and olives! With a pomegranate molasses dressing!
Those were the days! :blush:
Seriously, fruit is what I miss most. Sometimes I will do a pear (1/4) , blue cheese and walnut salad! A little goes a long way.

('Jackie P') #23

I didn’t realise apricots were ok.

(Cristian Lopez) #24

Yeah! Not dried though

If one is 100% fat-adapted and running on ketones, tart organic apples and also pears can be fabulous in moderation (for lots of reasons, including amazing pectin and the awesomeness of fruit trees and bees turning blossoms into refreshing food). If one is new to keto however, better to steer clear and fully adapt before expanding with fruits imho.

My first entire year of keto I was skeered of apples & pears - until I read Louise Gittleman PhD’s take on the importance of moderate fruit as calming, quality foods for midlife females because of the mental boost & antioxidants - along with Dr. Robert H. Lustig’s invitation to enjoy an apple a day as part of keeping the doctor away. :green_apple: Lustig is a HFCS subject-matter-expert and LCHF scholar (and author of the recently published industrial expose called The Hacking Of The American Mind: The Science Behind the Corporate Takeover of Our Bodies and Brains).

Whole foods have to be considered in whole - and once one learns about how apple fiber sequesters fructose and then feeds the microbiome, it changes everything. This information wasn’t available back when much of what we know as LCHF/keto dietary regimens were created - it’s pretty recent I think.

In the LCHF context, moderation would be one serving of such fruit a day - not three servings a day as per the SAD/USDA recommendations. Personally, I aim to eat one apple or pear several days a week (with either Phinney’s blue cheese dressing or some Legendary pecan pie butter and cottage cheese) - as my midife body recomposition has simply continued pretty steady since I added these fruits about 9 months ago.

It’s important to keep in mind how apples contain both the “poison” of fructose/carbs and the medicine of fiber, as Dr. Lustig puts it.

Because most of the fructose in an apple is sequestered by the fiber - it doesn’t get dumped into the bloodstream, it gets taken to the large intestine much later, and transmutes into food for the good bacteria which produce butyrate in high numbers - thus fueling ketosis! Apparently much of the apple’s fructose & fiber gets turned into butyrate - and what remains is minimal on the carb scale - not like nut carbs!!!

I know other people who can tolerate an apple a day well too. The only caveat is they would separate the apple from a fat-rich meal to minimize any negative effects. (If you know you don’t have elevated insulin after a meal, you can ignore that.)

Huh, that’s interesting!

I don’t know if I have elevated insulin after a meal as haven’t measured, just that my recomp is chugging along slowly but surely, and I feel really good from the inside out. But for folks who are IR or need to really watch that, good info about standalone fruit.