Apple cider vinegar ... Has it helped you and if so how?

(Hoteski) #1

Been seeing stuff about apple cider vinegar and I wanted to know from a keto perspective as to how it helps you guys on the diet and if so how ?

Just wondering if its worth adding this to my ever growing list of things that help my body be the best version of itself.

I hate normal vinegar so it would help to know if it’s similar to that in smell and flavour.

(Stacy) #2

I take it daily before meals. It is vinegary but I dilute two tsps in a big cup of hot water. The hot water makes it less tart to me. I got used to it quickly. It’s supposed to help lower insulin response.
I was stalled for three months and made two changes in short succession - cut all dairy and add ACV twice daily. Since then (March 27) I lost six lbs. Of course I have no way of knowing what helped but I’m keeping both changes because it finally got my weight moving.

(Melissa Marie) #3

It has helped me tremendously with GERD. I get it on an empty stomach usually. It has finally subsided. Drinking it did not help though I didn’t mind drinking it at all. I ended up buying the capsules which worked great for me. I wanted to stop taking my RX Omeprazole and was able to using the capsules.

@mmm_bacon my weight loss has been pretty slow. I wonder if you were retaining water from dairy maybe with those results??? I’d be interested in knowing if it continues. I started to take berberine daily to help with insulin response but it isn’t doing much of anything for me. I also take 2 ACV capsules almost daily sometimes twice daily. But haven’t cut dairy. May come to that eventually but I love cheese and HWC in my coffee :sob: I might cut Erythritol first to see what happens.

(Diane) #4

Yeah, that. I would also prefer to give up my Keto treats before trying to give up my cheese! :yum:

I’m also very interested in peoples actual results using ACV. After reading a few good articles making claims of benefits, I’ve added it to my keto to do list. None of the benefits were game changers, but there are reports of peoples morning blood sugars being reduced a few percentage points (around 4%). There are also reports from a Japanese study where people who consumed ACV lost more weight in 12 weeks than the control group. Just a few pounds, but it’s something if your rate of loss is slow. I think their ACV usagae was 1 or 2 tablespoons per day. Of the articles I’ve read, it was advised to drink some before each meal, and before bed. Sorry I cant remember more details.

I’ve made up a concoction to drink that I’m actually beginning to like! Come summer it will be very refreshing. When I started drinking my mix, I would cringe after every swallow, but that only lasted a day or two - which was a surprise how fast I got used to it. I always rinse my teeth after drinking it.

My mix: a hunk of fresh ginger (about 2 tablespoons), strips of zest from about 1/4 a lemon (no lemon juice at 1 carb/T), sucralose (not Splenda). You don’t want the sucralose to sweeten it, but to just help lessen the tartness. Put this in a blender in about 2-3 cups of water, and give it a ride. Put slurry in frig and let set for a few hours. Strain, divide in two, put half this mix into a quart jar and add 2T vinegar, and fill to the top with water. You could add salt if you wish. It’s ready to drink. I try to consume the entire quart each day. The second jar is for the next day. I’m thinking of making a larger amount and freezing the non diluted liquid to make life easier.

My results? Slightly lower bg levels, and I lost a pound after a few weeks of nothing. But was it the result of drinking ACV? No idea. Too short a time really to tell, as well as my tweaking several other keto things at the same time.

I have no idea if it helps with sugar. It does not seem to be helping with weight loss I have been stalled for months but I am ok with that.

What it has helped with is some weird symptoms I have been having that first made me think I had gout and then possibly gallbladder problems or some other enzyme problem. I will not go into the TMI. With both situations they resolved after I started drinking ACV mixed with water or seltzer

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #7

I can’t really give objective, numerical type results, but it does seem to help reduce my appetite, if I’m trying to IF. On the other hand, since it does contain some calories (albeit small), it’s probably not quite consistent with a full-blown fast. So if one is trying to do a pure water fast, I suppose it’s not part of the answer.

However, if you are just trying to prevent yourself from snacking, or just want to postpone your next meal for whatever reason, it might help. And it can be refreshing if you find a mix you like.

It’s interesting that it’s one of those traditional “remedies” that’s been around, on and off, for years, so it’s interesting that it’s been revived in what is the relatively new WOW that we call keto.

I worked at a health food store and have been drinking ACV for 20 years off and on.
Reduces appetite:
A tablespoon after eating turns off my desire to eat. Followed by a glass of water and I’m done for a long time.

In fact I haven’t used it in a bit, but going to start back up in my post fasting regime. Hopefully it can help me keep my meals reasonable.

Really helps with acid reflux. It minimizes hunger. It reduces water retention in my face/sinuses. Cuts mucous. Also, when I do overeat, it seems to even out the energy a bit. I’m less likely to have the intense glucose highs and lows.

(Hoteski) #10

I took the plunge and bought some Bragg’s acv … Had a mouthful mixed in water and gagged. Still have a small 500ml bottle of the stuff left to drink today. I hope my next mouthful will be better. I want to give it a go as it’s known to help aid weight loss and now that all my medical problems have disappeared my main focus is to loose the other half of what I originally wanted to loose. 3st gone 3st to go.

I’ve also cut most veg out… mostly carnivore diet now and I take ashwaganda drops daily and maca powder with my protein shake if im having one after a big session in the gym. Dairy is mostly cheeses . Mozzarella or Mexican cheese being my go too at the moment.

(Laura) #11

I’m also using it, just started actually. I must admit, I find it quite hard to swallow🤢 I find it really helpful for my acid reflux and rubbish digestion. Thinking of trying kombucha vinegar but was looking for some reviews first… Anyone???

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #12

This just promted me to do what I wanted to for weeks, went to the health food store and got two bottles of ACV.

Quick tip. I just threw a tbsp of the acv (nothing else) into sparkling water, really just tastes like tart slightly fizzy apple juice.

(Door Girl) #13

I find it very helpful. I have something that is probably best described as dumping syndrome when I have even a moderate keto amount dinner carbs (5g net or less). I can avoid this by either going nearly no carb, or by taking ACV before I eat.

The ACV makes a massive change in my digestion. Probably TMI, but I had awful IBS-D that has been improved with keto. The ACV presumably slowed my digestion enough that instead of a prior transit time of 6-8 hours I had two days. Never before in my life. And it was a normal movement, not constipation. I wonder how my food intake will need to change now that my body gets a chance to actually access the nutrients in my food.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #14

Interesting! I’ll try it in sparkling water today. I put a tbls in a glass of warm water and although I gagged the first couple of times, I’ve come to like it and look forward to it.

As for the objective results. I can’t say and I don’t measure BG, I just drink it before bed or before a meal with more carbs than usual because I’m convinced by other people’s experiences.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #15

This just sounds like I really need daily ACV shots in my life.
I had a feeling that I cannot really absorb many nutrients from my food …

(Kay) #16

I take it when I’m fasting (16:8/18:6 usually) as I find it helps suppress hunger pangs.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #17

I’m going to be honest, I’ve been taking Bragg’s regularly for years now; probably close to 10. I have honestly got to say that I don’t notice a damn bit of difference. People say it suppresses their hunger, but it doesn’t for me. It doesn’t clear my skin. It doesn’t do much of anything, yet I still drink it religiously. Maybe if I stopped, I could tell a difference?

I buy this friggin thing religiously. Not even sure why anymore. The biggie one at that.

(Bunny) #18

I never cease to be amazed by ACV it is almost as if it works like an amylase inhibitor/blocker* (besides being a precursors to ketone bodies[1]) for complex carbohydrates but not so much so for simple carbohydrates (highly refined sugars and carbs) if your consistent enough with it?

It probably takes very little to do this; maybe a half tablespoon to glass of water so I would start out small and increase the dosage maybe using a glucose meter to check the differences with the same food and amount of food?

Taking swiggs directly from the bottle may not be a good idea or drinking a quarter bottle all at once may not be such a good thing either?

Dr. J. Fung did an excellent review on this (best I’ve ever seen):

Vinegar:

”…Vinegars (acetic acid) slow down the digestive process because they *inactivate the production of certain digestive enzymes responsible for carbohydrate digestion. This makes it a lot more difficult for the body to breakdown carbohydrates when eaten along with vinegar. The vinegar forces the body to release the simple sugars from those carbohydrates slowly into the bloodstream preventing blood sugar spikes (5). This is why people started putting vinegar on foods like French fries.

How to Make Carbohydrates More Difficult for the Body to Digest

You want to make your foods complicated to digest. The more complicated they are to digest, the slower the release of sugar into your bloodstream. If you are going to eat carbohydrates, make sure you consume them with fibre, fat, and vinegar when you can. Combining these foods is the best strategy you have to stabilize your blood sugar levels. …” …More

Footnotes:

[1] If you put two 2x acetic acid molecules (2x: hence; Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV) together you get DIACETIC ACID or ACETOCETIC ACID or 1 of 3 ketone bodies!

Your recipe sounds good, I will surely try it. Right now, the tartness of ACV is something that I am just not able to handle. After drinking it (I dilute it in water and then drink) my throat feels itchy and irritated because of the tartness. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe :smile:

Update - Today, I tried this recipe and for the first time, I did not feel any itching or irritation in my throat after drinking ACV. :grin: I will continue following this recipe.

('Jackie P') #20

I take it because Dr Fung recommends it but, like a lot of things, I’m not sure how effective it is!
A few things have helped me get the ruddy stuff down. Warm raspberry tea, small ice cubes (1 crunch and swallow!), sparkling water with cayenne pepper drops, and mint!