Appetite Suppression and Hypoglucemia

(Nicolas) #1

Hey,

So I have done this diet/way of living for a month, Im really happy, because there are a lot of positive changes that Im feeling, but I want to ask something to the community.

So, Im feeling very, very, VERY satiated, to the point that… I dont even TMAD, It seems OMAD is the way to go due to the appetite suppression, maybe the suppression is because the glucose is low so insulin is low as fat does not increase insulin by much.

But then, I have been doing some ketones/BG measures, and it seems Im always Hypoglucemic (less tan 70). This was the best week in BG/Ketone relation (I would think):

Every time I do exercise, I go hypoglucemic now. I take Organic ACV with mother after every meal, and 25g of CHO Total (12Gr Net CHO).

Have you people experienced this big appetite suppresion and Hypoglucemia? my BG measurer always go crazy telling me Im low on BG when Im 70 low, and my Ketones goes way up after exercise, but during some days it will also go to 4.

Best Regards

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The level of glucose required by the body is less, when we are in a ketotic state. It was demonstrated as long ago as the 1960’s that people in ketosis can be put in a state of induced hypoglycaemia—to levels so low that they would cause coma or death in people not in ketosis—and still be fine. The reason is that the brain does very well when its energy needs are supplied in the form of ketone bodies. A serum glucose reading of 70 is not the lowest that has been reported by members of these forums.

If you are not experiencing symptoms of hypoglycaemia, there is no cause for alarm.

(Nicolas) #3

Nice.

Well, after exercise I feel symptons of dizziness, I also see colors and lights like, they are brighter that they should be, for example the day I was 53 my heart was pounding like hell, and it was 1hr after doing exercise. But in general I feel dizziness.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Increase your salt intake, and drink to thirst. That should help.

Magnesium and/or sodium deficiency. I’ve noticed magnesium balances out the systolic and diastolic blood pressure while sodium raises it and potassium lowers it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+deficiency+tachycardia

Could also be a potassium deficiency.

(Nicolas) #6

Im using exougenous Pottassium and magenisium (100% DV) via capsules, I put salt to death to my meals. It is possible, yes, but I dont think so.

Your ratio of minerals could be off and too many minerals can cause the same symptoms as too little.

Which mineral supplements are you taking and the quantity?

(Bob M) #8

When do you eat?

You’re also really not fat adapted for your exercise, yet. That’s a lot of exercise.

Those are fairly low glucose values (though note how your ketones increase). The problem might be you don’t yet have access to really use those ketones.

If changing your salt, etc., does not help (though I think it should), may try some smarties or other carbs right before exercise.

(Nicolas) #9

Hey,

I was thinking the same thing, I eat at 1:30 Pm to 2:20 Pm and 10 Pm, So If I exercise at 6:10 Pm the last meal would be 4 hs aprox.

This is the 5th or 6th week doing this diet, it is weird Im not yet fat adapted, Im shredding fat like crazy tho, I weight myself and take measurements with my measurement tape, lost 2 cm from the 5th of this month to the 8th.

I only eat 25 gr total carbs (Avocado, Broccolli, 12Gr Net).

The only reason I dont want to eat Carbs before is because I want to tap into little I have of Glycogen (Maybe none) and fat storage, maybe I can eat something after? to not go so low on Glucose, but I dont want my Insulin to spike as Im very sensitive to the insulin, I mean, I eat something and it goes to fat storage I think.

(Bob M) #10

No one has done enough testing to figure out how long true adaptation takes, especially for people exercising a lot. Phinney and Volek have done the most, and you might search online for some of their studies. I know they have a few involving cyclists, but I can’t remember how many they have involving the transition period from high carb to low carb.

For me, I don’t use carbs before my workouts or after. But I’ve also been low carb/keto since 1/1/14, and only work out 3 times per week, mainly weights/body weight, but some HIIT/aerobics. Some people say carbs just before workouts (and even pretty low, as in 10-20 grams) helps. I’ve done tons of exercising after fasting 36 hours, and don’t feel my workouts are hampered at all. But, again, I’ve been doing this a long time. I think a minor amount of carbs won’t go anywhere but to your muscles, as you’re working out right after taking it. Or you might try some smarties just at the end (which I think should go to glycogen and maybe a bump in blood sugar).

Also, your blood sugar (if you’re like me) should be highest in the morning and lowest at night. So, you’re also exercising near night, which makes the analysis harder.

For me, my blood sugar goes up during exercise, not down. I’m not sure that the case for everyone, but if it is, you might find when you’re truly fat adapted, that’s what happens.

Unfortunately, I did not take this data, as I did not start taking data until I’d been low carb/keto for 1.5+ years.

(Nicolas) #11

Yes, I usually do 1 day exercise, 1 day of, etc, but then I want to do 30 min jogging all the days, I dont feel like it’s too much, I can jog for 30 min straight without stopping, of course I feel more pain the the legs as lactic acid builds up, but even that is going down and my heart is ok with it, of course I go slow, like 9’10’’ m/km and even this is going lower (going faster).

So, yes, it all indicates that Im still not fat adapted, I might be on ketosis but the body does not understand what to do with the ketone bodies and that is why builds up when I jog and then when I dont go it goes down.

It is weird to me to understand why BG goes up after exercise if you dont have CHO before or after exercise and take 20gr or less CHO per day (not even counting net, the fiber). I understand a fat cell has fatty acids inside which then it could be used or the byproduct of it is the ketone bodies, and not glucose.

(Bunny) #12

Here is Dr. Peter Attia using resistant starch while cycling where I circled them; the other two activities NO resistant starch.

Notice how the ketones (BHB) skyrocket and how the Glucose and Lactate drops?

Interesting?

“…50 gm of super starch, by Generation UCAN mixed in my water bottles (50 gm super starch which, technically, is a carb but does not behave like one with respect to insulin secretion and ketone suppression – I will write a dedicated post on super starch in the future, but if you must try it now, use this code to get a discount: (“UCANPA”) …More

(Nicolas) #13

I dont understand your post, I don’t do Cycling, nor swimming, much less HIIT (Ugh…)

I do jogging at 70% my Maximun Hearth Rate for 30 min non stop and then walk 20 min (10 to go to the park, 10 to go to my house), and stretch my muscles.

what Im seeing on Cycling with that starch thing is what happening to me, Glucose goes down, Ketones goes up and lactic acid goes up (In my case goes a lot higher than that) but that is because… is cycling.

Best Regards.

(Bunny) #14

I thought it would be interesting to give some insight into the mystery but I doubt cycling has anything to do with it.

When I use to measure ketones all the time I would notice when I exercised my ketones would go to 0.0, but if I ate resistant starch they would skyrocket just like Dr. Peter Attia’s N=1’s.

(Nicolas) #16

I know we dont need glucose, Did not see the post or the papers but I saw a video about these Athletes.

I need to read the thread tho.

What is being discussed, primarily is: Why Im getting high Ketones, low blood glucose levels after training? Could it be Im not yet fat adapted? maybe, a person here said Im doing a lot of cardio, 30 min jogging is nothing, much less doing 1 day on, 1 day off.

Why so much hipoglycemia? One day I achieved 53mg/dl, that is dangerously low, can it be that I dont have some vitamins? maybe, which ones?.

In another note, Im not taking the 100% DV of Pottassium I thought I was getting, I’m getting 20mg plus whatever it is in 200gr of Broccolli and 1 medium size avocado.

Any ideas where I can get more potassium? it doesnt matter if it is in a pill or powder form.

FYI. I didn’t start that thread.

I wouldn’t use pills or powder.

Are you eating fish? Nuts?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hypothyroidism+hypoglycemia

(Nicolas) #18

From years and years of making blood tests, I dont have Hypothiroidism.

Im not eating fish nor nuts, Im taking Omega 3 Pills, which fish have the most potassium?.

Also, watch out when you post a link so freely and alarming people

Best Regards

The only way to get sufficient Iodine is if someone lives near the ocean because ocean microorganisms throw Iodine in the air or if someone consumes fish or if they consume meat from animals supplemented with Iodine.

It’s best to always eat whole foods. Fatty fish preferably. I’m sure you can search online which fish have potassium. All of them because dolphins, whales, etc… are still alive.

Cruciferous plants do mess with the thyroid. Hence why kids gag on broccoli.

There’s plenty of low carb high potassium plants if you’d like to get fiber in your diet. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetables

Did you always consume 200gr of broccoli?

(Bunny) #20

Resistant Starch redirects glucose to the skeletal muscle to be stored as glycogen instead of the liver, that’s because it turns off bile secretions and why it does not float around in the blood stream so ketones can dominate.

At least that’s the way I understand it.