ApoE4 Paradox?

I’m confused and trying to follow the bouncing ball… I just found out I’m an ApoE3/ApoE4.

From what I’ve read ApoE4 is oldest APoE but unable to handle saturated fats as well as the more recent 2 and 3.

How does this make sense from a historical POV?

Maybe there is new or other information I’m missing? Please feel free to throw down any knowledge you may have.

(Jay AM) #2

Great conversation here

(Jeff Gilbertson) #3

I am Apoe3/4, too.

Still trying to figure it out, too.

I’m coming to the following conclusion:

Apoe3/4 and saturated fats results in a different lipid response than non-e4s. Okay. Is that a problem? The more I read and the more videos I watch, I think, “no.” The main driver of disease is insulin resistance, not lipid size. Isn’t it a factor? Yes. But, mainly only when insulin resistant.

Watch Dave Feldman and Ivor Cummings videos on YouTube. They’ve been quite helpful to me.

(Adam Kirby) #4

What is the actual purported scientific reason for Apoe3/4 to avoid saturated fat? So much of nutritional thought is BS, and most professionals can’t even understand the basic concept of high fasting insulin being bad. Seems to me these poorly-understood genetic markers are rife with potential for more confusion.

(Erin Macfarland ) #5

Following

(Jeff Gilbertson) #6

I’ll just refer you to this:

Fats, Omega -3(ω-3) & -6(ω-6), DHA and More

AHS16 - Dale Bredesen - ApoE4 Mechanistics

Oh … and I’m not avoiding saturated fats. Was for a while. Not any more.

(Adam Kirby) #7

Thanks for that. The linked studies for saturated fat on on the Apoe4 page throw up immediate red flags for me. One of them is by Neal Barnard. :joy: A lot of “may”, “might” and “associated” thrown around. There’s also this:

whyyyyy

(CharleyD) #8

I think it makes good sense from an evolutionary POV. All your DNA cares about is to keep you alive long enough to procreate and raise your offspring long enough for them to survive.

Retirement and being grand- and great-grandparents is an uncommon state in human history until recently. (or if you were lucky prior to agriculture and avoided infection, accident, and predation)

disclosure, I’m APO e3/e3:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/gs246
This page shows the various risk alleles that make up the APO gene and links to some of the studies on it:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE

(Nimitta) #9

“Cholesterol Leads to Alzheimer’s? Nonsense” by David Permutter, M.D.

https://www.drperlmutter.com/cholesterol-leads-alzheimers-nonsense/

Another thing that surprises me is that these studies don’t control for blood glucose markers or look for interactions.

So is it your view that in most, if not all, of these studies on saturated fat and Alzheimer’s, the high saturated fat is a red herring? Essentially what’s really happening is that it’s just coming along for the ride with a high sugar, processed food diet which is actually the real issue for us e4s?

(Jeff Gilbertson) #11

It’s my understanding that the problem is insulin resistance and high glucose levels which are oxidizing the LDL.

Having a high LDL gives a BETTER overall longevity.

Google LDL and all-cause mortality.

I believe that if I avoid carbs, I will avoid heart disease and Alzheimer’s.

I’m betting my life on it, literally.

Watch Ivor Cummins and Dave Feldman videos. Oh, and David Diamond.