Anyone taking an Iodine supplement?

Just from the grocery store…or you can try Asian stores (physical/online). There are packaged roasted seaweed products

Some people say it tastes fishy. I just think it’s salty and umami in flavour (I buy the one that’s just roasted seaweed + sea salt).

The one I buy has the 100% RDA of Iodine per sachet/packet (which is like 5g of roasted seaweed).

(Marianne) #42

Only found one place locally, however, the woman does it out of her home and has makeshift hours. I called in January and she said she couldn’t give me an appointment because she was so busy (?), but would get back to me. Hasn’t called me. She is elderly.

(Robin) #43

Drat! Do you remember the Raquel Welch wigs from years ago? wonder if they are still around. Never saw on in person but they looked great.

(Marianne) #44

Yup, they are still around! Very popular, I understand.

(Germaine M Schweibinz) #45

I use Lugol’s every night on my arms, I put a few drops on and rub them together. Your body only absorbs what it needs. if there is still brown on my arms the next day I use less.

(Camera Ist) #46

There is a 24 hour iodine loading test.

Read the Iodine book from Dr. Brownstein, and Iodine Crisis.

(Marianne) #47

I was chugging two drops in a small glass of water for a while, but have just gotten out of the habit. Nasty taste, but one of those things you do.

(Bob M) #48

I’m not sure about the validity and assumptions of the 24 hour iodine loading test:

You have to download a PDF and read it.

Personally, I’ve found some seaweed kimchi that I’m eating, and that’s about it. I still might take Lugols every once in a while, but haven’t done so for a long time. (I also found fermented seaweed…but that tasted pretty bad. The kimchi version is way better in terms of taste.)

The USA states, I think (I may be wrong), add iodine to salt.

That doesn’t happen in the UK, and it is estimated by at least some sources I’ve checked online (a while ago)…that we are all on average 50% iodine deficient, or 50% of us are iodine deficient.
I’ll check that out later.

Anyway, after reading that I looked into iodine salt sources, especially from Indian sub continent.
I wasn’t happy with some associated contaminated risks, so I ended up buying some Sea Kelp supplements.
I don’t take them everyday, just every other day.
Hopefully this is within the rules, but these are what I got…and there are plenty of other similar products available.
Hard for me to know if they’re beneficial or not, but I don’t like the idea of so many from UK/Ireland being deficient.

The study found that iodine deficiency was present in 51% of participants, with moderate deficiency in 16%, and severe deficiency in 1%. There were independent associations with UK locations, low urinary iodine excretion and summer samples, low intake of milk and high intake of eggs.

Iodine deficiency: Britain’s hidden nutrition crisis (independentnurse.co.uk)

Lancet:

Iodine deficiency in the UK: grabbing the low-hanging fruit - The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology

Bit of kelp?

Just don’t OD on it!!!

More is not good either.

(Bob M) #53

If you’re talking low testosterone, boron might help.

I started testing adding boron, then stopped for various reasons. I’ve restarted again.