Anyone taking an Iodine supplement?

(Marianne) #1

I just watched one of Dr. Berry’s videos on iodine deficiency. Two of the symptoms he mentioned that I am experiencing are fatigue and hair loss (severe). He recommends Lugols. I looked it up and read some reviews. It sounds like you put two drops on your tongue and take with water. Has anyone used this or another iodine supplement? Can you share the brand, concentration and how you take it?

(Joey) #2

How’s your thyroid function? Sounds like that might be more of an issue than an iodine deficiency - and I’d be careful about taking an iodine supplement without getting a full thyroid lab result first to pinpoint what might be going on.

(Bob M) #3

I take Lugol’s in water. Usually 1-2 drops per week. You don’t want too much, as that can be bad too. Unfortunately, it’s near impossible to know what’s enough and what’s too much. (Actually, it IS impossible to know.)

And if you follow @SomeGuy’s suggestion, get a complete panel done. Also, search for Amy Berger and thyroid, like this one (2 of 3, so 1 and 3 are out there too):

She tells you WHY you want a complete panel.

I too would recommend getting tested. I add iodine to my diet by eating fish and using seaweed. My son loves seaweed and will eat whole sheets. I can’t do that but I add it to vegetables and soups and salads.

I haven’t been tested but haven’t noted anything to suggest I have a problem.

(Karen) #5

I used to take it regularly before starting carnivore and it was okay. A friend of mine who i recommended it to absolutely swears by it . Helped her tremendously. I used to take a few drops in either orange juice or water. I don’t have the same need for it now.

(Robin) #6

EDIT: Sorry… this was meant for @gingersmommy
Have you had covid? I had it a couple months ago and am now having hair loss (again). Think I’m just gonna roll with it. But I have LOTS of hair and that’s easy for me to say…
However, I am interested in finding out if that Legolas works! My hair is all over the house, worse than the dog.

(Robin) #7

For hair loss?

(Rebecca ) #8

I have Hashimoto Thyroid Disease and my Dr. Told me to NOT take iodine supplement because it would be like throwing gasoline in a fire. So yes, a thyroid lab check is a good idea first.

I take 1g Sea Iodine from Life Extension when I’m not taking T3, I forget what person was on a podcast a couple years ago but same deal, blamed everything on Iodine, recommended both Iodoral or Lugols. Noticed a very slight bump in my Thyroid values, nothing really otherwise.

With hair loss, Iodine helps, but also look at your Vitamin C, D and Copper.

(Joey) #10

@gingersmommy Noting from your profile that you’re in Western NY, my understanding is that it is extremely rare to have an iodine deficiency in the US these days.

Again, getting a comprehensive thyroid panel and consult with a knowledgeable endocrinologist before messing with iodine supplementation would be wise. :vulcan_salute:

(Marianne) #11

I have had hypoactive thyroid for years and it is completely stable with Levothyroxine. I get it tested regularly. My numbers have been good for a long time.

(Marianne) #12

That is one reason for my concern; I don’t eat any seafood whatsoever and no organ meats. Just purchased iodized salt recently and salt our meat with that, but I don’t know how much iodine that provides.

(Marianne) #13

No, I haven’t had covid. My hair loss is so concerning. I used to have so much hair, my hairdressers would always comment about it. Not in the last several years. I have like a rat tail now when I pull it back. Gross alert - this picture was taken after one shower on Dec. 15. It just releases from my head. So anxiety provoking!

(Marianne) #14

Sixty miles east of Buffalo - Bills Mafia! :hugs:

According to one of the Youtube gurus. Iodized salt loses its iodine very quickly. Don’t know if it is true.

They make kelp capsules. Most seem to use the liquid iodine.

With losing that much hair, I’d see a doctor before doing anything.

Doesn’t Nisha Berry, Dr. Berry’s wife have Hashimoto’s, or is it something else? He has her taking one or two drops of Lugol’s 2% daily. Perhaps I’m remembering wrong. I’ not a doctor though, so follow your doctor’s recommendations unless you learn otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do take one (1) drop of J. Crow’s 2% Lugol’s solution in a little water every day and have for a long time. I don’t remember when I started taking it. I do think it’s safe for most people.

However, I would definitely see a doctor and have a thyroid checkup if I were you.

Have you been eating very low calorie? I think that can also cause hair loss like that, if you haven’t been getting in enough food for a long period of time.

(Karen) #18

No it was more for fatigue. I actually bought a serum off FB ads for my hair thinning/fallout… and it actually worked. I still have some small bottles left and use every so often when I think it’s thinning again. Mind you I haven’t noticed much thinning since going carnivore and my nails just don’t stop growing… my nails only ever grew lovely once when I was pregnant with my first . Now I am constantly clipping them!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

I find even just on keto, my nails and hair grow annoyingly fast. It used to be I could go at least a month, now I’m trimming my nails every couple of weeks and cutting my hair about every three weeks (probably should do it more often, but it’s a chore).

(Karen) #20

Yes I have to clip my nails every couple of weeks and my toenails! :astonished: my hair is definitely thicker. Didnt notice any changes when I started Keto, it all started happening upon starting Carnivore!