Anyone make their own pork rinds?

(Seth Overdeer) #1

I like them but most the only store bought ones i can find are fried in gross veg oil. Any brands out there that do it in a better fat/oil or do any of you make your own? If you make them, recipe please?

(Sophie) #2

I think most brands are fried in their own rendered lard. It is fat after all and it’s more cost effective to use it than to purchase veg oil to fry them in and ditch all the lard that is produced. For a MFG it’s all about the bottom line and profits.

(Seth Overdeer) #3

Possibly. The brands I can find here list veg oils on the ingredient label.

(matt ) #4

I have never seen a brand with bad oils. In fact most brands have no added oil that I have seen. Sorry to hear you are not having luck. Try ethnic grocery stores and (oddly enough) gas stations and convenience stores.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #5

I did with this recipe:

Quite a bit of work but they turned out niceley

(matt ) #6

oh and to answer the question (sorry) I have made my own but I baked them and they didnt poof up. I have an already cooked skin in the freezer to try cutting up and frying next time I have oil out for other things.

(Seth Overdeer) #7

Do you think those nutrition facts are accurate? 18.4g protein and only 3g fat? That seems backwards for pork rinds.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #8

I actually do. when you drain them properly most fat renders out. it’s more skin than fatty tissue really.
super airy

(Rob) #9

I don’ think it is backwards (there is more protein than fat in fried rinds) BUT I don’t believe those numbers either. All the commercial brands are between 1.6 and 2x protein to fat. Nothing even approaches 6x like these. Thus I find it highly improbable.

The scratchings and cracklins with the fat left on are about 1:1 protein to fat which is more to your intuitive idea.

The commercial ones and even the artisan ones are similarly airy and are still within the 1.6-2x ratios.

I buy the Carolina Gold nuggets via Amazon. They puff up in the microwave. You can deep fry them too.

(Ken) #11

You can buy pork rinds by the case. Meat wholesalers can get them. They come cut into about three inch squares and have no fat on them. You can either deep fry or roast them. It’s nice to be able to season them yourself.

(Dave Anderson) #12

Make my own
This was my 1st try. They were great
Tonight’s second try was so much better

Lovely writing all about pig skin!