Anyone made a chocolate liquer?

(Bob M) #1

Anyone made anything like this:

I was thinking of making this. But since it takes 2 months to make, I was wondering if anyone has actually tried something like this and if it came out well.

It would be nice to have a chocolatey drink every once in a while. I have no idea what 500 grams of vodka is, but this should last months for us. Or maybe I go to Costco and get one of those huge Vodkas, and double the recipe? Then I’d easily have (at least) a year’s supply, assuming it can keep that long. (My wife and I drink 1-2 drinks per week, one per weekend night some weekends, most weekends one drink per weekend.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Five hundred grams of vodka will be more or less half a litre.

Probably on the “more” side, since the specific gravity of alcohol is 0.82.

(Marianne) #3

Ugh. I had a recipe for this and somehow replaced it with another document. Anyway, I made the original version for a friend as a gift and it can be drank immediately. Delicious!!!

Original recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream, so I adjusted the recipe below to be keto friendly. You will have to play with the erythol amount to your sweet preference.

Chocolate Liquor

INGREDIENTS
• 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
• 7/8 cup unsweetened cocoa (good quality brand)
• 2/3 cup whiskey
• 1/2 cup erythol (add more to taste preference. Original recipe calls for 1-3/4 cup sugar)
• 1 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a large pot whisk together the cream, water and cocoa; combine well.
  2. Place the pot over medium heat, stirring continuously, bring to a soft boil, cook and stir until cocoa powder is emulsified and smooth.
  3. Add erythol and stir well to dissolve.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool. Add whiskey and mix to combine completely. Pour into a bottle and refrigerate until cold. Shake well before serving.

(Bob M) #4

@PaulL Thanks Paul. That seems reasonable, as the picture in the webpage shows something similar.

@gingersmommy That does look good. Do you remember which whiskey you used? I ask because “whiskey” is a broad category. I’m assuming we’re talking something like bourbon and not scotch? Or I am mistaken?

(Marianne) #5

Hard to go wrong with good cocoa powder and heavy cream!

I used Canadian Club, but you could use Seagrams, Jameson, cheap stuff. I wouldn’t use Scotch as it has a distinctive flavor.

(Bob M) #6

That sounds good, thank you.