Anyone into kick-scooters? (or kick-bikes?)

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #1

I’ve only just returned to cycling, after a too-long layoff, but for a variety of reasons I’ve also got interested in adult kick scooters, and recently bought a cheap (but well reviewed) one to play with experiment with.

(I know there are also such things as kick-bikes, and I wouldn’t mind giving one of those a go one day, but for now, a scooter meets the need I had in mind).

Has anyone else tried these (either scooter or bike) and what do you think of them?

One thing I’d be interested in is experience or opinions about the exercise benefits or disbenefits of this over cycling or any other form of exercise, including calories burned per hour or per mile, or whatever.

The following is from an obviously biased-in-favour source, but anyway…

Also from a biased-in-favour source, but the numbers look reasonable:

I think my main worry about it would be that (even more than cycling), it’s almost all lower-body work. (I find in many situations, on my drop-handlebar bike, I’m getting a fair amount of arm and even stomach muscle / core exercise. Don’t think that could happen much, if at all, on a scooter - but I may be wrong).

Edit:

http://www.yedoo.eu/en/blogpost/riding-a-scooter-ideal-form-of-exercise.aspx

Scooter vs. Cycling
Cycling actively employs only the lower part of the body while the upper part becomes stiff which may result in back pains. Scooter riding is far more effective - apart from lower body muscles it also effectively employs back, chest and belly muscles which are stretched and strengthened. On top of that, there are no pressure sores from a hard saddle!

hmm, well, maybe.

Edit2: in the pictures below, those people are riding what I would think of as kick bikes rather than scooters.