Anyone have any New Year's Resolutions re Keto?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1

Like anyone planning on starting Keto?
Tweaking Keto?
Adding or eliminating any foods?

I am still working on my plan, but definitely am going to use coconut oil for all my cooking.

After a great start to 2018, my keto-ing went seriously off the rails (deaths in the family, illness --> mental health wobbles) and Iā€™m back to square one, albeit with greater knowledge and insight than before.

So 2019 is a reboot for me. I know what to eat, I know what has worked for me in the past, and now Iā€™m just focusing on keeping my focus. :wink:

Also, I plan to incorporate some intermittent fasting a couple of days a week (say 2 x 42), Fungster-style, once I feel Iā€™m ready. Iā€™m curious to see how Iā€™ll react and what the results might be.

(Carl Keller) #3

I resolve to do some abdominal toning. Situps and crunches galore.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

I do some but they always tend to migrate a few days away on my ā€œto doā€ list. We in Fontana have multiple excuses. Today was too cold, windy. Summer is too hot. Sheesh, I think I need to move to Hawaii. And weā€™re talking about indoors!

(Carl Keller) #5

Same for me. But I do notice I can do more of them on keto. I donā€™t get burned out like I used to on a carb based diet. That should be motivation enough to tell myself ā€œstop being lazyā€. :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

Hey, you want something really effective? Try doing the yoga plough. Three days in a row and your butt will hurt for a few days. And the gluteus maximus is the hardest muscle in your body to work.

Apparently sit ups arenā€™t all that good for the core - crunches are ok though :slightly_smiling_face: Planks are also pretty good & the always useful deadlifts. Kayaking has been good to mine too.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Iā€™ve heard that about situps - also my neck hurts like hell. Apparently pushups are the gold standard, though even at 18 I couldnā€™t do one. Though I can hold a plank forever.

(Carl Keller) #9

My butt, I am told, is one of my better features and doesnā€™t need sculpting like my abs do. Iā€™ve always wanted a 6-pack.

Good to know. Iā€™ve always hated situps and my back seems to agree. The only planks I know about are from Long John Silvers and their planks were either deep fried chicken or fish. I will have to do some googling. :slight_smile:

I avoid them mainly for that reason.

Iā€™m getting better at pushups now that Iā€™m deadlifting. I also got some exercises from my physio to ā€˜switch onā€™ the core before lifting - apparently theyā€™re the exercises they give to women with post childbirth diastasis recti! When kayaking itā€™s just more natural for me to engage the core so I donā€™t need to prep the muscles beforehand.

(Mother of Puppies ) #11

I bought a scale and plan to start using it (gag)

On second thought, I prefer the tape measureā€¦

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

Heard about that on the forums. Very depressing. Do all women get that?

No idea! Donā€™t actually have it myself (no kids) but apparently men can get it too if they put on too much weight in the belly. The exercises are really good though - itā€™s seriously like flicking a switch & waking the muscles up. From there you are able to just more instinctually engage them.

Women who have never been pregnant as well as men can both get diastasis recti! It can also be caused by trauma to the abdomen which can include improper exercises or exercises performed poorly.

Three kids and lucky to not have diastasis recti; checked using this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HGhq3tXRQ - can barely fit in the 1 finger.

2019 Goals - More fasting! Would like to get up to a 5 day fast and perhaps do some 5:2 weeks. Otherwise at a minimum want 23 hour fast with 1 hour feeding window.

(Running from stupidity) #17

Mine too, and far more so after situps.

That usually requires an unreasonably low body-fat percentage.

(Troy) #18

Convince you @Regina and ur husband to start a Keto food truck business :smile:
WE will call it ā€œ KETrOy ā€œ
Then come pick me up right down the highway , literally
Iā€™ll be w the sign ā€œ will work for Keto ā€œ
Sound goodšŸ¤”

If not
Other than that
Maybe Incorporate more bodyweight training exercises

(Heather Meyer) #19

2019 goals include
-Fast weekly
-Eat less keto sweets
-Gi ti the gym 3x per week minimum to do heavy lifting!

(Running from stupidity) #20

Good girl!