Anyone got a good Chilli recipie they like (with clear carb count)?

(Bansaw) #1

I looked on Diet Doctor for a chilli recipe and expected to find lots but not really one that tickled me.
I looked on some other sites but the carb count / serving info wasn;t clear, like it is with Diet Doctor.
Anyone got a good recipe with a clear carb count per serving ?

I just do mine by the bowlful, as needed, in the microwave. So you’re in complete control of carbs, depending on how much you put in:

Ingredients

• Leftover meat (e.g. burger, chicken) chopped up in Magic Bullet
  • Diced onions
  • Chicken broth
  • Salsa (or tomato sauce/paste)
  • Several teaspoons chili powder (and whatever other spices you like)

Directions

• Toss all ingredients into a microwave safe bowl
  • Microwave until hot (I do about 4 minutes)
  • Top with cheese and sour cream

(Bansaw) #3

How many carbs are we looking at here?

Impossible for me to calculate without knowing how much onions and tomato sauce/paste and whatever else you put in, and the particular brand of tomato sauce/paste you use. I never measure it out myself.

If you do a very meaty chili with no onions, probably no more than a few carbs. A half-cup of Rao’s marinara is only 3 or 4 net carbs. A half cup of salsa would probably be about double that. Half of a 10-oz can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes, about 4 or 5 net carbs.

IF you like beans in your chili and you do soy, Eden brand has black soy beans that are really nice in chili. I usually sweat celery (1.6 net for 4 stalks) and onion (1 medium is 8.5 net, so add to desired carb count, remember you are going to be adding in tomatoes) Add ground beef (1 lb high fat content) and garlic. Brown beef. I like Muir Glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes (2 small cans/ 1 big can =30 g carb). Ancho and chili arbol powder and thin out with beef stock/bone broth. Regular chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add beans and simmer. The beans are already softened and add 4 net carbs per can. We usually get 10 servings per batch…so somewhere between 6-10 g net, depending on serving size, and toppings (sour cream, jalapenos, etc.

(Bunny) #6

To me this is real chili, there are so many different species some chili’s are more bitter than others:

This one is dried chili on a string has 0 carbs, -0 sugar; throw in a blender with filtered water (and chicken or beef broth), a little Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), Himalayan sea salt and spices e.g. garlic, onion, cummin (makes it really tasty) etc. also great for organ meats e.g. beef tongue, liver etc. (also makes for a great digestive bitter):

NEW MEXICO BLENDER RED CHILE SAUCE

Las Palmas is really tasty not too many carbs but the sugars are not too bad either but love to soak (chopped into pieces) a good ribeye or porter house steak, even hamburger meat in this stuff (I like the hot version of this stuff but the medium or mild is good for everyone):