Anyone going back to Keto after having tried Carnivore and not having success with it?

(Adrian ) #22

I was averaging 2600 - 2700 cal, from my Cronometer data, 190+ grams of fat, 190+ grams of protein

(Adrian ) #23

What I do know, is that I measured my blood sugar, with a glucose meter. And my numbers fitted the pattern seen in Keto folks. I have ‘adaptive glucose sparing’, fasting glucose ~100 mg/dL, and in the 90s through the day.
This fact would theoretically tell me that I was at least in mind ketosis, but I may be mistaken.
Took a lot of salt, between 5 -8g of Sodium / day

Of course the down-side is that I can no longer sequester myself in the throne room for a long time with a book. :smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

I hope that doesn’t blow your progress that you’ve made as far as feeling good. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

Brilliant Bob. :cowboy_hat_face:

(bulkbiker) #28

Doesn’t sound like too much protein to me… why do you think it may be excessive?

(George) #29

Mainly because im thinking my fat to protein ratio should be alot higher, whereas my current intake has protein being significantly higher than fat, but correct me if i am wrong.

(bulkbiker) #30

By calories or by pure fat/protein per 100g?

Isn’t it funny how different people are? As a vegetarian I never have gas, even with all the dairy I eat, but when I ate meat I was frequently gassy. And sorry for the TMI, but when I “went” it stunk! It’s not nearly as stinky now.

(George) #32

I believe by fat/protein. I do omad and stopped tracking food a while ago, but by just looking at the food it seems protien is alot higher, that’s why I add the evoo and pour a little more melted ghee on top

(bulkbiker) #33

Chicken thighs are about equal per 100g 19g fat 23g protein
Rib eye is higher fat than protein per 100g 21g fat 17g protein
Flank I think is a bit lower fat
But don’t most people look at it by calories roughly 70% fat to 30% protein so it you go that way with fat at 9 cals per g and protein at 4 then your ratios look ok. I cook in animal fat and sometimes stick on some extra butter but don’t stress about it.

(George) #34

I just plugged rough numbers in and it’s looking like 105g fat to 117g of protein

(George) #35

Ah you’re right. Looking at the breakdown with thighs, flank, egg, pork rinds, and rough guess at ghee and oil amounts it comes out to 66% fat and 34% protein, 0% carb

(Bunny) #36

Yes, I do see people react differently, I think it is because we eat too much food in one-sitting-per-meal but also in frequency of times per meals (why we get so much gas) to begin with and the balance of gut bacteria already in the intestinal tract when we start eating only one thing and the type of billions of gut bacteria that get fed and not fed and enzymes within certain gut bacteria in the large intestines that breakdown undigested foods thus creating GAS.

Every once in a while I like to take a soil based probiotic (SBO’s), but I think people over-use them because the point is to colonize and feed not over-colonize or under-feed so there is a delicate balance, whether we are strictly eating high fat, low fat, high protein, veggies, carbohydrates or what ever your eating. So having a proper ancestral balance from living closer to the dirt where everything isn’t inherently sterile in our environment allows us to digest, meats, fats and vegetation equally with the right ratio of gut bacteria and firmicutes etc and a stronger immune system.

References:

[1] BENEFITS OF SOIL BASED ORGANISMS

Increasing evidence supports the idea that soil based organisms are essential for human health. Here are a few of the reported benefits:

• Improved Gastrointestinal Health

• Prevention of Gut Colonization by Harmful Bacteria and Fungi

• Support for Intestinal Regeneration

• Support for Balancing Gut Microbiota

• Help Balance Colon pH

• Increase Resistance to Harmful Bacteria and Fungi

• Increase Absorption of Nutrients in the Intestines

• Help Replenish Friendly Microflora in the Colon

• Support Overall Health and Well Being

• Enhance Metabolism in the Gut

• Promote and Normalize Bowel Function

• Help Reduce Gas and Bloating

• Improve Immune System Function

• Improve GI Tract Barrier Function

• Many Other Benefits …More

[2] “…Breakdown of certain undigested foods by harmless bacteria naturally present in the large intestine (colon):

Some carbohydrates (sugar, starches, and fiber) are not digested or absorbed in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes. The undigested or unabsorbed food then passes into the large intestine, where harmless and normal bacteria break down the food. This process produces hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and, in about one-third of all people, methane gases, which are released through the rectum. …John Hopkins School of Medicine

I’ve never heard of SBOs. Do you get them online?

(Bunny) #38

YES!!!

Quite a few options

Sounds very interesting, I’ll check it out.

(Carl Keller) #40

Dr. Ken Berry seems to think your DNA might matter. If your ancestors thrived on mostly meat, then you are more likely to thrive on meat.

(Adrian ) #41

Hmm, I am of Eastern European ancestry, 45 degrees north of the Equator… We do have at least 3 months of harsh winter here.
So, I’d say my ancestors did thrive on a heavy meat intake, but not sure how heavy.

(Karen) #42

I like meat. I like the taste of meat, I like the convenience of just meat, but I miss vegetables. I miss the color, I miss the crunch, I miss the flavor and I miss the way I feel when I include them. Plus I worry about my biome. I think you can toggle back-and-forth between keto with some keto veg, and straight carnivore