Anyone else try this sugar substitute?

(Hermie) #21

No aftertaste, no digestive side effects either, really recommend.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #22

I have to find a way to get this shipped to me thenā€¦ Switzerland is such a pain to live in for food item deliveryā€¦ :expressionless::expressionless:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Seems worth reiterating.

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #24

Iā€™ve been using glycine not as a sugar substitute necessarily but because it helps with collagen, but it tastes fantastically like sugar, I put it on fruit like strawberries and blueberries OMG itā€™s good, itā€™s also said to buffer some of the effects of blood sugar rising so itā€™s a win win, at 20 bucks a kilo it seems good to me (use at your own discretion) glycine is an amino acid

(Jesus Gonzalez Gomez) #25

It seems like the pentose is ā€œpureā€ xylose not xylitol.
Its wors than erythrol or stevia for gut and insulin resistance?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

I donā€™t know. What I have learned from this forum is that every non-sugar sweetener seems to cause someoneā€™s insulin to spike, but that if one sweetener does that for a given person, there are probably other sweeteners that donā€™t. It seems to be entirely individual.

Maltitol, xylitol, and the other sugar alcohols all seem to have something of a laxative effect on everyone, however, so it is wise to experiment carefully for that reason.

And as I mentioned, xylitol is not safe for dogs, so it is wise not to keep it in the house if you have a dog.

Iā€™ve heard this only about maltitol, the others are individual as far as I know and maybe even rare for erythritol?
We use xylitol and erythritol very often and never had problems with them. Looking at some recipes, some people use much more, though, maybe in excessive amounts we would have problems too but that has no chance. As time passes, our sweetener consumption gets lower and lower :slight_smile:

(Jesse Lejarzar) #28

Pentose is a broad term for five carbon molecule sugars ribose, adenose D-xylose, Xylose, Xylulose, and others. D-xylose is used in beksul a sugar Iā€™ve used since it came out. My daughter had epilepsy meds that messed her liver up and we needed to curtail her sugar intake and D-xylose was the ticket that worked, never use xylitol! Beksul D-xylose is cheap by comparison too 1 kilo(2.2lb) is 6.00, way cheaper than bocha sweet. Iā€™m still going to try it to see if it tastes the same.