Anyone else have trouble sleeping on Keto at first?

Last night I had a terrible time falling asleep and then woke up at 3am wide awake and couldn’t fall back asleep for a few hours :unamused: Not cool!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

Ohhhh, BIG time.

It was freaky, like really freaky. I haven’t had that freaky a night since going through post concussion syndrome (a scenic little trip through hell I don’t recommend). I was tired, my body was tired, my mind was tired, but my brain simply wouldn’t switch off. I don’t mean it was thinking, like when anxiety and worries keep coursing through your mind and you can’t put them down. I mean, there was some weird sleep switch somewhere that just wouldn’t flick. Freaky.

It passed after about a week, as I recall. The breathing problems went on for a month, though. (sigh)

Breathing problems? Oh man what do you mean lol

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

Again, freaky. My lungs would fill but then they wouldn’t empty on their own and I had to consciously force myself to push out the air so I could take another breath. It has to do with rearranging serotonin levels and the body’s ability to relax. Don’t worry, it only affects a few.

It’s my understanding that 90% of the serotonin is made in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract by the flora in our microbiome and there’s bound to be some disruption and rebalancing when making any dietary changes.

I personally didn’t experience the problems @Aqua_chonk relates in this thread concerning anxiety, breathing, etc., but I do think that the mechanism is entirely plausible and explainable.

Some people are more sensitive to those neurotransmitter changes, but at some point any changes in serotonin should stabilize and normal, if not better sleep will likely be a result.

I still have sleep initiation problems, but since going keto I find that I need much less sleep than before.

That makes sense I tend to be super sensitive unfortunately … I’m already riddled with anxiety lol and they’ve tried just about ever antidepressant /anti anxiety there is and they only make it worse…I have felt super jittery the last few days but a good like go go go jittery …after not sleeping last night however lol I’m dead today :stuck_out_tongue:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

Interesting.

Never had anxiety problems on keto.

[quote=“baconmecrazy, post:2, topic:8174”]
I don’t mean it was thinking, like when anxiety and worries keep coursing through your mind[/quote]

Yep, my bad, sorry! I misread that.

yes, I experienced this for the first couple of weeks I think. maybe the weaning off of carbs. taking some magnesium supplements might help

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Two slaps with a strip of raw bacon for you, Sirrah!

I bought the magnesium citrate today and measured out half a tablespoon and drank it in my water … hoping that’s ok lol and I ate some spinach for my potassium :relieved: And lol been focusing on making sure I get my sodium in, how much sodium a day do you guys get?

FYI, calcium and magnesium are often recommended together for people with sleeping problems.

@Brenda discusses adding calcium as well and since I added a similar form from what she posts in the thread below, my Fitbit shows I’m getting more sleep each night.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/leg-cramps/7805

i didn’t have trouble sleeping, per se, but I didn find I was able to wake up well-rested and alert after seemingly less sleep.

(Dean) #14

I think I had that about 3 months ago, freaked me out, i panicked and thought i was going to quit breathing, i got up out of bed and my heart was pounding, It freaked me out but it hasn’t happened since

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

Phinney and Volek recommend 3 to 5 GRAMS per day!!
Get their book, “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living”.
They also have a blog online.

I see that number a lot, and that’s like 10 grams of salt, I never eat that much salt

(trevor) #17

yes i had trouble sleeping after about a month, it only lasted a week, i started working out.
fell of the band wagon at Christmas now after having a big suger low im back to keto