Anyone else have non-scale related reasons for keto?

(Jim) #1

I’m 48 years old, six feet tall and 165 lbs. I’m not doing keto to lose weight, but rather simply to try to get an overall healthier diet/way of life. Today marks just the start of week four for me, but I’m enjoying the diet. I don’t really miss carbs (aside from a good beer now and then). Many of the meals I eat are things I would very much enjoy even if keto wasn’t a goal. But I haven’t really noticed any changes yet. I’m not discouraged as I realize I’m very new to this. But I’m curious to hear from others who aren’t looking to lose weight or change body shape. Particularly those that have been doing this a long while.

For me, it was control of my blood sugars. I am a T2 diabetic. Since starting a restricted calorie keto way of eating, I no longer need to use insulin or metformin. Keto controls my blood sugars better than the medications did.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I’m in a similar boat as @OgreZed, not T2 but pre diabetic and I am on a steroid drug for life and that works against me. My improvements have been slower than some who used insulin for years. But I am progressing. My original efforts were to lose weight and cut out carbs Atkins style to do it. I wasn’t obese but too big. I was reading a lot of stuff randomly on the net and knew about the link to keto. After reading I quickly ended up on this site and it has been a revelation.

Keto is like the stage 1 Atkins diet done in a healthy way, not as a diet but as a lifestyle. I avoid multiple ingredient things when I shop. I love the health focus of
the keto way. I feel great and have made huge improvements,
(no longer pre diabetic) in 6 months.

Keto for LIFE! :cowboy_hat_face:

I am also not looking to lose weight but wanted to break the energy high/low cycle and overall I just felt myself slipping into a stronger carb addiction as I got older.

I will celebrate 1 year on Keto May 1 and I feel healthier, more energized, and my blood results are the best they’ve ever been. My doc says to keep up the healthy living! Not looking back :heart_eyes:

(Pam ) #5

I needed to lose weight, like 200 pounds. But the NSV reasons are what really caught my attention and had a huge impact on my decision to start. I have T2D, colon cancer, and alzheimers that run in my family (parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents). I also tested positive for a breast cancer and pancreatic gene. So needless to say Keto and Fasting will be a part of my life for the rest of my life. The weight loss is gravy, know what I mean?

(charlie3) #6

I had 30 pounds to loose. That phase was over may be 8 months ago I’ve been doing low carb 1 year (keto/ZC). 75% of the benefit is from the crap I don’t eat any more. The best food is not some magic elexir. It just allows my body to functioned as it was designed for.
If your body runs like that may be you’ll feel better, at least for a while.

Low carb eating doesn’t make make me healthy, it makes me less unhealthy The way to feel bettere going forward is exercise. I do brisk walking, SS cardio, and resistance training to feel better day to day.

I was never obese, just over weight, but I look so different now the people who haven’t seen me in the past year tend to double take. It isn’t just less fat. My body iis leaner over all and has a different shape. I have a waist line and shoulders and calves with shape and a tight butt. My skin color and texture is vastly improved. I have more presence, power, handy when I deal with other people. Exercise created the physical changes. The clean eating made it possible.

I look and feel amazing compared to the past but all that doesn’t necessarily win popularity contests at work or socisl situations.

Next month is my 1 year anniversary. While I lost 50 lbs, I started because of health issues. I was not diabetic, but had constant heartburn and debilitating IBS, was always tired, as well as a boatload of other issues I didn’t even know I had until they went away. I didn’t actually notice that I had more energy or felt better right away. I was losing weight, but a couple of months in I realized that I had not had heartburn or an IBS episode since starting. It’s amazing how quickly the big problems get resolved, but their episodic nature makes it hard to pin down when they actually stop.
I am at my target weight. I have also had my doctor tell me to keep doing what I’m doing and even to not lose any more weight. My body seemed to manage that, as it leveled out after about 8 months and has maintained it since then. I believe weight is just one symptom of the illness, and not the most important one. It’s all about the overall health and how you feel.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I came for the weight loss, but stayed for the general over all healthier life. Less aches and pains, got rid of my skin tag forest, more energy, and I just feel like I am in control of my life again.

Many of us here have non scale goals.Welcome.

I’m trying to reduce visceral fat and fat in my liver, I also have insulin resistance and some “mild” atherosclerotic disease. The weight part is just as important but for lightening the load on my legs and feet rather than aesthetics. It’s also lowering my blood pressure and giving me more energy . I also have Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis of the at L5-S1 so lighting the load can only help that issue as well (I hope) but it does not bother me very often at this point and I want to keep it that way. And when I gain weight I sometimes get vasculitus (golfers rash) on my calves and ankles. I also have Elevated PSA but I have no idea YET if keto has any affect on it. I’m right at the upper limit of a healthy waist to height ratio (or the lower limit of unhealthy) so I need to lose a little more visceral fat. That’s about it. 10 lbs ought to just about do it. I lost 25 but now I’m stuck at 200 lbs

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

For me, it was fear of diabetes. Dr. Lustig’s lecture, “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” finally broke through the denial about my addiction to sugar, and Dr. Attia’s TED talk on whether obesity and diabetes might have the same root cause drew me down into the rabbit hole.

I begain by cutting out sugar and sweets, but not worrying about grains, bread, and the like. But I immediately began to feel so good that within two or three weeks I decided to go full-on keto. Now, sixty pounds lighter, with six inches off my waist, and no longer pre-diabetic, I am very happy with this way of eating.

(Jennibc) #11

I came for the weight loss, BUT am also enjoying better energy, clearer thinking, clearer skin, no mood swings, better sleep, and as a consequence of all of that better relationships with people.

I’m in a similar boat but I was ostriching so I don’t even know what medical complications I was starting to suffer. I am doing it so I can heal my deranged metabolism and protect my organs, and I expect my body will shift some weight as it heals, but even if it doesn’t, I never want to go back to feeling so sick.

(Jim) #13

Thanks for the discussion, folks. Three weeks in and I’m not really feeling any differently. I was/am in good health. No significant extra weight, no diabetic or pre-diabetic issues, and I’ve always been more of a savory than sweet guy. Honestly I miss sushi rolls more than sweets. I’m hoping for some of the benefits you all have laid out to manifest once fat adapted. I know I need patience, but I’d like to begin to see some effects. Right now the biggest difference I’m noticing is that I’m not as regular. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bunny) #14

Little known is that some people (neuro-nerds) do keto for neurological enhancement reseasons (not really interested in the weight loss aspect); like BDNF factors, neuroplasticity, neurogenesis, neural-repair, optimal gut flora…etc.

(Troy) #15

No and No🙂
Both then and Now

Any who, for me, I kinda knew carbs and especially sugar always made feel like junk🤢
And I didn’t care!!
Started to notice others ( family and friends ) going to Dr. visits consistently including various surgeries
For obesity and diabetes related symptoms mainly
I was sad and upset as well
Became miserable
Frustrated😡

Time to make choices and changes…

So Slowly, by cutting out the above food choices it all started to improve my anxiety and depression
Or depression and anxiety, whatever comes first :joy:

Thought humm🤔
This is awesome
Followed by less brain fog AND just more WAY confidence overall
Sleep improved tremendously

Weight loss was just a result of this WOE

So, I go along Dr. Jockers and @atomicspacebunny

That’s my $.02 cents

Good luck