Anybody using those silicone bags for cooking (or other alternative)

I know that things that are microwave safe are (supposed to be) safe for sous vide-ing. But always freaked me out a little, I like the idea of those silicone zip lock bags, but do they actually cook correctly? Seems like they’d have an issue with food contact. Or any other non food saver type ways you’ve found to get it done?

Blew the dust of my machine the other day and have gone back on a sous vide binge, so on my mind again.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #2

You know ever since learning what sous vide is, I’ve had the same concern. I do use silicon spatula but I’m mindful of plastics leaching out.
The whole subject is tricky … plastic particles in the water, the soil etc

(Polly) #3

I read a lot about sous vide when it became popular. The sticking point for me was always the use of plastic bags in contact with food. I thought about the silicone pouch option, but the reviews online weren’t that good. Loads of reports of the seals failing.

If you do decide to go for silicone cooking bags I would love to know how it works out.

Does anyone know whether there is anything leechable in silicone cookware?

I do not trust plastic near heat. We don’t know enough about plastic, there are a zillion kinds and little research. All we know that some carcinogens are not contained in some of the products. I have been passing, as the cooking process is the same as slow roasting, which requires to additional steps. But, that’s just me.