Anybody have experience doing extended fasts while weight training?

(Adrian) #1

Hello all,

I have been keto + OMAD for almost a month and have been consistently weight training for the past 6 months. I wanted to do an extended 48-72 hour fast to break through a mini-plateau but I am unsure how it will affect my weight lifting performance. I do Ketogains 5x5 program M/Tu/F and about 45min of LISS cardio the other 4 days. I am not lifting for “gains” as the program I am doing is named after but more to aid in the decrease of body fat loss and for aesthetics. Also, maybe I am jumping the gun here with wanting to do an extended fast since I may just be at the 3-4 week plateau that I have heard many experience. Regardless, I would like to hear from anyone that does or has done extended fasts while weight training at least 3x a week. Will I feel weaker or lose muscle mass? Appreciate any input or advice! Thanks!

in general, it is not advisable to do strenuous exercise while fasting extendedly, for what should be incredibly obvious reasons.

fasting does not turn you into some sort of superhuman mega athlete.

(charlie3) #3

It’s not obvious to me why fasting should influence your training per se. If you start exercising and don’t feel right–stop. I’m doing 30 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of strength training most every day. Yesterday I did both as usual and had nothing to eat, a 36 hour fast. In general I can’t find any relationship between hunger and exercise performance at my dedicated hobby level of effort. (Ignore what elite athletes are doing. They intentionally sacrifice health for competitive advantage.)

I have yet to try fasting past 36 hours so no personal experience exercising on a second day fasting but I don’t expect any difference so long as water and electrolytes are right. It’s now routine for me to skip breakfast on work days to allow time for exercise in the morning. In the evening I prepare food, set it aside, exercise, then eat.

The way I look at it I can work or exercise as usual so long as my body has adquate fat stores and proper hydration. An empty stomach is not a deficiency of anything.

(Brandon Keown) #4

I am a competitive olympic lifter. I train about 10 hours a week, in a 5 day program. I am currently about 25% body fat.

When I was around 30% body fat, I tried a 7 day fast, maintaining my training regimen. I don’t know how extended you are looking for, but I can give you my recollections.

The primary goal in olympic lifting is power production. You are trying to lift as much weight as possibly as quickly as possible. Additionally, there is a neurological load. You must focus because you are, in all three movements, under a very heavy bar. I am still alive to write this, that should give you a hint as to the outcome.

During the fast I consumed about 3g to 4g of sodium a day (in the form of brine). Additionally, I concocted a sports drink specifically for fasting (1/4 cup ACV, 1tsp pink salt, 1tbsp granular swerve, 1/2tsp guarana powder, fill to 1L with water) that concentrated salt delivery during the workouts.

What I experienced, in general, was that everything was basically exactly the same. To be clear, I am not an elite lifter, I do not know if this approach would necessarily apply if I was suddenly capable of lifting 100kg more than I do now. What I do know is that power production did not decrease, in fact, I set a PR on one of the days. Neurological function did not decrease, I never felt like I was dizzy or anything like that, nor did I feel like my gross or fine motor skills deteriorate, or develop any sort of shakes, like in a hypoglycemic state.

This seems to contradict the commonly held notion that fasting would interfere with muscular workouts (especially olympic lifting) due to the requirements of ATP replenishment that typical fat metabolism (and even anaerobic metabolism) is too slow to accommodate. This does not seem to line up with my experience (yet?). Additionally, there has been evidence that fasted/keto marathon runners are able of metabolizing fat at higher and more continuous rates than was previously believed to be possible.

In concession, the most prominent “negative” thing I experienced was a marked adrenal response after some lifts. At this point, I hypothesize that it was my body attempting to ramp up glucose conversion and fat production through hormonal upregulation so that I could recover between lift attempts. Since working on my conditioning, this seems to be less prominent now.

As I have lost fat, I have found that I have what I think is mild vagus nerve stimulation causing me to feel mildly faint during a clean recovery. However, this seems to be the same in both a fasted and non fasted state.

Additionally, as my fat came down, I switched coaches. The second coach put me on a very aggressive program, and I started to experience some low mood during that transition if I fasted for more than 24 hours (after workouts, performance during workouts was unchanged). However, I have recovered a bit from that program and will probably soon try another 48-72 hr fast to test the waters with that.

Obviously this is not a blanket endorsement to fast and workout without assessing your own unique condition, or if you don’t know how, without getting a doctor’s advice who specializes in fasting (such as Dr. Fung, incidentally Angel Ramos is my fasting coach through IDM). But it is possible, and when managed properly, doesn’t detract from performance as far as I can yet tell. However, you definitely need to stay in tune with your body throughout and keep notes or tabs or something to make sure you don’t lose your perspective and wander into any sort of dangerous territory.

(Karim Wassef) #5

I agree. The secret to successful fasting is salt and hydration. I keep a bag of pink himalayan sea salt with me and I take a pinch every hour or so with water. It’s how I get to 4, 5, 7, or 12 day fasts and can still lift every day almost. It’s all about electrolytes. Your liver, if it’s in good shape, can replenish everything else you need and autophagy will recycle and regenerate most of the essentials.

salt salt salt … sodium and potassium keep you alive. magnesium keeps you happy. that’s my experience.

(Windmill Tilter) #6

I follow the Body by Science weightlifting program once every 5 days. I feast LCHF for two days, then fast for 85 hours (3+ days), then I lift fasted, then I break the fast and feast again for 2 days. Rinse and repeat. Recently, I’ve been doing a HIIT workout on the second day of the fast, and thats been great too.

I’ve been doing this since December and I’ve been able to increase weight or time-under-tension every session. I’ve lost 18lbs, and I’ve gained muscle visibly. My leg press has gone from 350lbs to 545lbs.

That’s my n=1. Ymmv. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #8

Lately, I’ve been exercising after 36 hour fasts, but if I want to fast 4.5 days, I don’t exercise. Exercise makes me hungry and makes it harder to get through 4.5 days. I also figure a week off isn’t bad and maybe autophagy will help my injuries.

(Karim Wassef) #9

Exercising fasted is a progression. I used to lift every day and even did so while on my 12 day fast. The body is adaptable and will start off resisting because the usual sources of energy are tapped out… first, muscle glycogen, then creatine-P, and only then does it tap into ketones.

After a few days, the body “gets it” and starts replenishing muscle glycogen - either by moving liver glycogen or gluconeogenesis - faster. The more you exercise fasted, the better this gets.

I find that lifting heavy with short reps is very much about muscle glycogen as the energy source and I need to give my body more time to reset. It’s more efficient for me to go to lower weights for higher reps to get into the ketone use range. As long as I lift to failure, it doesn’t matter - it’s lower intensity, but the workload is the same in the end.