Anybody have a good vegan keto dessert idea?

(Brian) #1

My wife and I are supposed to have dinner with some friends of ours in the next week or two. And they’re wonderful people. They know about our diet and want to be accommodating, and I appreciate that. But we are coming up way short on ideas for a nice dessert to top off the meal. They go back and forth on various diets but are currently eating pretty much vegan. Vegetarian that includes eggs and dairy makes it a lot easier but they’re not doing eggs and dairy. Hmmm.

Could use some suggestions if any of you can think of any.

Mostly, I’m pretty contented to skip dessert at home. I know they’d like to have some, though, and I know they’ll feel bad if we don’t eat it.

Whatcha think?

(jilliangordona) #2

Dark chocolate dipped strawberries
Avocado chocolate pudding

(Brian) #3

Hmmm… I like both of those ideas, Jillian, Thanks!

(jilliangordona) #4

Avocado pudding is AMAZING! I would recommend that. Or both!

Whipped coconut cream and berries

(Chris) #6

EDIT: I just realized the title of the thread was vegan. Ignore me.

Quoted from the old Bear Owsley thread on activelowcarber:

I make a wonderful zero-carb ice cream with raw egg yolks, heavy cream, lactose-free milk protein and various flavours like vanilla and espresso. I use a very small amount of aspartame as a sweetener, since ice cream seems to need it. I have two sizes of White Mountain churn. Typical: 16 egg yolks, 2 litres heavy cream (35% mf), one cup water with two heaping tablespoons of a 3 to 1 mixture of calcium caseinate/ion exchange whey (or use lactose free ‘total milk protein’- if you can find it), 1/4 teaspoon aspartame (Nutrasweet), three cups double short-black espresso, 2 tablespoon of high quality vanilla extract. Use a 6 qt churn with coarse salt and broken lump ice. Don’t let the churn go too long, or it will turn to butter. You can skip the milk protein, but the texture will suffer.

May need to check the sweeteners and make sure you’re not inadvertently adding sugars.

(Brian) #7

No problem, Dread. :slight_smile:

It does sound like an interesting recipe, though, maybe just for us. We’re NOT vegan. Been there, done that, felt like crap, don’t plan to go back. Doesn’t mean I won’t lean out the animal products a little at some point, but going back to vegan, I don’t see it.

(linda cc) #8

Granted your dinner party was 9 months ago, but it’s a good question-- vegan keto desserts!! I am new to keto – just 7 weeks, if I don’t count the two weekend disruptions for an out of town conference and for my graduation weekend-- strictly adhering the rest of the time. I would love to talk to other vegans on this path about anything.
But for the moment, here is one favorite desserty little finger food: vegan cream cheese spread on toasted low carb bread squares with a strawberry slice or another berry to top. (For more protein, use cashew-based spread.) Another one that satisfies my late-night craving (I hear that eventually one does not crave. I look forward to this!) is a bowl of cashew yogurt mixed with some of that vegan cream cheese, with berries and a pinch of monk fruit sweetener. Cinnamon and coconut shreds to top it.

(Brian) #9

Thanks, Linda!

Hadn’t thought much about it in a while. It still is a bit of a challenge at times when we want to get together with vegan or vegetarian friends. But with the seasons bringing about way more fresh produce here, the options are opening up nicely.

:slight_smile: