Any yoga people, advice needed please

(Ellen) #1

A friend has challenged me to do a 30 day yoga programme with her, only the 2nd day but loving it, however, left knee isn’t great (been dodgy for a few years; not as much cartilage, random pain etc) sitting crossed legged or on hands & knees isn’t too bad, but child’s pose causes pain, “popping” and weakness, so my question is, would a knee brace help? Should I just ignore the pain? Want to continue as already feeling less persistant tightness in lower back & generally just enjoy it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

^^^^^^^^^^
That is not a good idea.

There is pain for a reason. A big part of yoga is to learn to listen to your body. If a pose hurts your knees, do not do it. If you are doing this with a yoga instructor a good one will have modifications for you. It is good for beginners to find a knowledgeable teacher to help develop a good practice. Extra support in the form of a knee brace would probably help some.

One of my early on yoga instructors was always reminding us to keep a soft body, that means do not lock knees, elbows, etc. It is one of the best pieces of advice I ever got about yoga. Years ago I even taught it. I just do some of the basics a few times a week now, but I still keep soft body in the front of my mind. I am 69 now, I started doing yoga when I was 18. I think it is one of the reasons why I don’t have a lot of joint pain.

(Allie) #3

Never ignore the pain. Maybe use some sort of bolster to lift you up into a position you can do comfortably? Just do what you can do, even if the pose isn’t perfect, it needs to be pain free

(Ellen) #4

Thanks @collaroygal, will pick up a knee brace, it’s a youtube programme so no teacher, may look into finding an actual studio as really am enjoying it.

(Ellen) #5

Thanks @Shortstuff, will try a brace and something under my knee.

(GINA ) #6

How far into the pose can you go? Yoga blocks are good for stuff like that. You could put it between your calves and backside so your legs don’t fold completely.

(GINA ) #7

Finding a beginner’s class is a good idea. A good teacher will have plenty of alternate poses to use if something bothers.

(Allie) #8

@Elle79 have a read of here. The pic with the yellow cushion is the kind of thing I was suggesting for you.

https://www.doyouyoga.com/7-variations-for-a-more-comfortable-childs-pose/

(Georgia) #9

Search the internet for “modified child’s pose.” I got a few hits. I also got a hit on “How to modify 5 Yoga poses for knee pain.”

I haven’t done any Youtube yoga videos, but one video (from Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser) contained modifications for each of the poses.

I would either modify the pose or avoid it altogether if it was causing me pain.

Yoga takes some trust - in yourself, your understanding of your own body - it takes time to develop that understanding and trust.
Take it slow.
Don’t perform or try to do what the long time attendees can do.
Get into your bubble and enjoy moving your body.
Talk to your teacher, use all the props you need to.
Pain and wobbles aren’t part of yoga.
By the end of the month you’ll be a different woman.
x

(Ellen) #11

Thanks All! Will try again tonight but with some kind of bolster so knee isn’t completely folded, hoping that sorts it as enjoying the rest of it.

(Julie ) #12

If you are taking a class, afterwords ask for modifications to the poses that are not working. If you are doing it on your own look for modifications and like other said you can use blankets, bolsters, and such to help you with the poses. Never work through pain.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

Echoing the comments about having a good instructor helping with modified poses. I go 3 times a week and the instructors are always good about making sure everyone knows to do what they can, and modify what they can’t.

(Ellen) #14

I’ve taken a couple of days off as knee still feels a bit wonky, but will try again tomorrow, am away for work a lot until the end of Nov but after that will look into actual classes rather than youtube videos.