Any suggestions for pork, please? Bone in chops and country style ribs

(DougH) #1

I got a batch of pasture/forested raised pork from a farm in VA that raises heritage breeds and sells online.

I am currently thawing out some bone in center cut pork chops and a slab of country style ribs.

I was thinking along the lines of pan searing the pork chops, they are moderate thickness, but maybe a braising them or slow cooking them in a sauce would be better. Pork chops with pan mushroom gravy using heavy cream?

For the country style ribs I have a slow cooker at my disposal, and a green egg style smoker but I don’t have the time or the weather for a long low and slow smoke.

Any suggestions for some killer recipes would be very appreciated!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Mmmm! sounds delish!

Pork ribs apparently take hours to cook. I don’t understand that, since a chop of equivalent thickness can be broiled to doneness in about ten minutes, but there we are. We bought a combination slow and pressure cooker for Christmas, and so far, the ribs we’ve pressure-cooked have come out tender and tasty. Allow at least 45 minutes from beginning heat to cool down.

(DougH) #3

Pressure cooker/instapot is an idea. We don’t have one at the house but my girlfriend’s mother has one that she has offered to give to us in the past, and she is right down the street.

I am going to gift myself a sous vide cooker very soon, so that will be the future plan for some of this higher end pork, and the grass fed beef that I have been getting.

(Laurie) #4

Center cut pork chops are pretty tender. I just pan fry them (no lid) on both sides, and they always come out great. (Actually I can’t eat them any more, but that’s what I used to do.)

In Canada I never see country style ribs. But I used to buy and cook them when I lived in the US. I had one of those mini ovens that is actually a broiler (picture below). Cook the ribs on the metal rack. I can’t remember whether I turned them or not; I probably did turn them. Like the pork chops, they were pretty foolproof.

(Laurie) #5

We are talking about country style ribs, right? Thick, mostly meat, with a small piece of bone at one end. Not the same as spareribs, which are mostly bone.

Pic of country ribs as I know them:

CountryStyleRibs

They are thick, but they don’t take very long to cook.

(DougH) #6

Those are them. I think you can cook them quickly, or low and slow.

I don’t have a recipe yet but I am going to do them in a pressure cooker so that they get very tender with the fat rendering and soaking back into the meat.

The pork chops are in a brine this morning, redmond’s sea salt, handful of black peppercorns, some rubbed sage because I didn’t have fresh, some sad dried of fresh thyme that was left in the fridge and some applecider vinegar.

I plan on searing both sides, pulling them, and then making a pan sauce with heavy cream, dry white wine, garlic, sage, thyme, salt and pepper with some sliced baby portabella mushrooms.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Slow roast the ribs covered in the oven at about 250F. Sear them first and baste every once in a while.

(Ken) #8

A good Winter food, if you like German dishes, is to slow cook your ribs in Sauerkraut. I do miss the potato dumplings, one of these days I’m going to try a Keto dough for them and see if it works.

(PSackmann) #9

A little late, I generally cook country ribs uncovered in a 250-300 oven, with a good rub on them. They make a wonderful “broth” as well, once they’re done. Last time they took a little over an hour, you can go a little longer but not too much or they’ll dry out.