Any suggestions for Paris?

(Wenchie) #1

Hey there,

The @Groversaurus and me will go to Paris soon. We are a bit helpless not even being able to read the menu in most of the places :joy: so we want to ask:

To anyone who lives in Paris or knows the lovely city- any recommendations for food or restaurants? We can’t spend a fortune on fancy first class restaurants so would love a good recommendation for ketofriendly affordable places.

Thanks you all :heart:

(Ken) #2

I suggest you go and enjoy yourselves. One week of eating carbs won’t even recompensate glycogen, let alone cause lipogenic readaptation.

This is a good exercise in Maintenance, rather than “nutty keto”. I suggest you do this: weigh yourself right before you go. Use the one third, two thirds concept. If you eat carbs for a week, make sure your following two weeks are strictly lipolytic, making sure to only eat when hungry. At the end of the two lipolytic weeks, weigh yourself, making sure you’ve not had excessive salt for a few days. You should weigh about the same.

I haven’t been to Paris, but I’ve spent time in the provinces. No need for Haute Cuisine, smaller bistros, etc. are usually excellent. I suggest you learn some simple phrases from the internet first, if you attempt to speak French initially people will be more open and friendly.

If you’re really concerned, you might want to limit the bread (Pain, pronounced more like “Pan”) and the potatoes (Pommes de Terre) but I wouldn’t pass on the desserts.

Also, I’d try an Algerian place while you’re there. I recommend the spiced Lamb.

(Adam Kirby) #3

Oh I disagree there. My honeymoon was an all-expenses-paid gluttony fest in a tropical paradise. We drank sugary alcoholic drinks around the clock and then ate loads of high carb food. I gained MANY pounds of fat and 2+ months on I am not quite back to my pre-honeymoon waist measurement.

Now, I strongly doubt that any normal vacation can reproduce this result. :grinning:

(Wenchie) #4

My partner and me are keto for over a year now and we rather don’t have carbs. It hasn’t to do so much with restricting ourselfs- we feel better without carbs and like to avoid them :blush:
Thanks for your advices. Lamb is so nice! And I can’t wait to have some good brie :hugs: @Groversaurus suggested fasting for that weekend… NO WAY! :joy:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

If you will be walking in Paris, you can probably let your carbs slide a bit. When in Europe, I regularly put on 15k Steps or more and come back at roughly the same weight. Had issues last trip as we had a car for half the trip. Not many issues, as we kept steps up.

Steak frites, sans frites. Probably any bistro can do this. Pas de glucides is no carbohydrates. Faibles en glucides is low carbohydrates. Sans gluten is gluten free.

There is an easily googled link for Dining out French style on Atkins.

(Wenchie) #6

Oh cool… I will look that up. Thanks :blush:

(Ken) #7

Hence the term “Gluttony”. The only reason for that is if you’re planning to run out of food next Winter. You can easily recompensate glycogen in 24-36 hours if intentional. Then, potential to gain fat by chronic overcompensation becomes possible. It can take several weeks by someone eating normally, as in eating around their daily caloric requirements.

Stop by a Fromagerie and eat lots of cheese! I went to this one near the Eiffel tower http://www.fromageslaurentdubois.fr/fr/

Most restaurants in Paris have English speaking staff, and even some have menus. You should be able to eat pretty healthy. Snails don’t have carbs :wink:

(Wenchie) #9

:joy::joy::joy:

Thanks for the link! I will definitely look it up :blush:

Definitely skip the pastry shops :joy:
Also, you could go to any bistro and ask for steak - salade (salade is usually just lettuce). I’ve had the audacity of asking for burgers without the bread and it’s fine usually, or just remove the bread.
Also check check “chez papa” and “chez gladine” who make south-west french food (moslty duck), ask for the duck salad without the bread… it’ll have basically lettuce and shit ton of duck meat (pretty fatty). Also if you wanna go have a drink you could ask for a “planche de charcuterie(sliced ham/salami…)/fromage (cheese) / mixte (both cheese and charcuterie)” and have a glass of wine.
Some restaurants also have stuff like avocado salad or ceaser salad which should be fine-ish.

(Wenchie) #11

Our trip was great but to be honest… we had the best pastries and croissants of our lifetime :joy::joy::joy: what I love about Keto is, that you can always come back, fast, enjoy the control over your body and ride the horse in the sundown :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But we will keep the duck stuff in mind for next year . So thabks a lot :blush:

(Wenchie) #12

Oh we absolutly looooved the cheese shops of Paris… so many amazing tastes!!