Any Runners Out There?

My fitness routine to date involves a combination of pushups and pullups a few times a week. I’m getting great results. Ten years ago I was a runner and now I find myself feeling the urge to lace 'em up and hit the road again. I honestly have so much energy I need to burn some of it off. There’s no question here. I’m just wondering what other’s experiences have been.

(Jillian ) #2

I have run two half marathons - one pre-keto and one keto. The keto one was faster (and I got faster in each split) and I did not suffer with bad knees or sore muscles to anywhere near the same degree. Fuelled on one BPC with water and electrolytes :smiley: It was a n=1 experiment for me because I have been brought up with ‘carb loading’. My best friend, a personal trainer, was learning with me so I am slowly changing her views on carbs and training. Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I completed the Chicago Marathon back in 2006 but really don’t see myself doing anything beyond a 5k for the foreseeable future. Never say never though…

Used to run ultras. Only been keto a couple of months but haven’t had any issues. Slowly building up to potentially run a 50k next year.

Wow. I was in so much pain at the end of my marathon that I cannot imagine running an ultra. Good for you my friend!

Ultras are a little different. Kind of like a long distance picnic. :grinning:

Even so, 50k is a long time on your feet.

Yeah. I mostly want to do it again to prove to myself that I can. It might not even be an actual event- just map a route, drop some supplies every so many miles and just go without worrying about times or cutoffs.

I get the personal goal aspect, definitely. I just don’t have time. Work, work, work.

(Tobias Månsson) #10

I’ve been a runner for a long time, but have mostly stayed under 10 km. I’ve done two half-marathons in the past, but they have both been painful.

After going keto 4 months ago I notice my long distance stamina is far better, but my pace is slower. I’m currently in the process of keeping my old pace over longer distances, each run is better. :slight_smile:

The biggest difference is the lack of a “wall”. If I stay hydrated and bring salt, it feels like I can run as long as my feet tolerates.

I run some. I got into it more this year but then at the end of August I managed to hurt my back by running a lot with a heavy backpack on. Since that happened I have been running less, and walking/cycling instead. I do commute to/from work every day by either foot or bicycle (mostly bicycle). Stats per my fitness tracker: