Any of you gaining weight due to Co I’d-19 shutdown?

@BruceMystic was correct as far as the (correct) way to do them. You can only do them in bursts basically so you don’t screw up your metabolism or hormones. But now that I’ve dumped about 15lbs on it (very long term stall) I’ve started playing with it a little, added some more fat to try to stop any hormone issues and upped the calories to around 1200-1500 just to see what happens. So far nothing, scale still dropping and seems no muscle loss, although with all the gyms almost gone that’ll get harder to test. No planned to be a long term thing, just a pre-summer jumpstart.

I’ve only just started working from home this week (in Australia, we’ve been a little behind the curve here) and already I can see this will be a challenge. On the one hand, I am lucky not to have extra caring responsibilities in the home - just me, my partner and our dog - so less time commuting and getting work-ready, and, in theory, more time to meal prep and keep active. On the other hand, long stretches of time alone, very few chances to get out and about, and open access to the kitchen all day long…

While I am very fortunate to still have a job, I do worry there may be less and less work to actually do. Kicking around an empty house for days on end feeling bored, frustrated or unproductive is a path right back into food addiction and depression, if I’m not really careful and proactive about it from the start. I’m going to spend some time today planning how I can make the most of this unusual and possibly once-in-a-lifetime few months of extra time in my schedule. (Assuming, God willing, that me, my friends and family all stay safe and well, and social order continues to prevail…!)

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

I think I have reached a new set point that is down 5 pounds from my original weight. I am pretty much eating whatever I want, all daysn are keto or low carb (50ish grams) and I am staying at the new weight. My fitness center is closed, we had a couple of snow days this month,etc. Normally I would be gaining but for some reason I am resetting. Can not complain about that.

I have tried to occupy my mind with other things while keeping up on world trends. I have done a lot of genealogy research. I am also rewatching Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe, and the new Picard Star Trek. Researching ways to sleep better. An ongoing issue for me. Learned how to order just about anything needed to be delivered directly to the house. Have watched a dove build her nest, hatch her egg and now we are watching the off spring trying to figure out how to live in the world. He/she has chosen a ladder we keep along our back fence as its new “nest”. So adorable to watch.

So while it is strange days life is good. Neighbors greeting each other from a distance and others offering to help anyone in need. It could be a whole lot worse.

So don’t panic and know where your towel is.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #24

That’s the thing, right? I’ve been where I am 10 years. The economic side of this may mean getting rid of a tonne of stuff and moving back to the States for a while. Maybe not, but trying to be mentally prepared for any outcome. It’s a nice reminder that as long as I know where my towel is, all will be well.

And just to make this comment not totally off topic, what with more walking in the past couple weeks, and reigning in the loosey goosey carbs (thank you, grocery store, for being out of raspberries,) I’m gradually getting back down where I want to be, and waist measurement has already returned to acceptable parameters.

(Shayne) #25

Yes, I have totally gained a bit of weight since I’ve been working from home… almost 3 weeks now. In the neighborhood of ~12lbs. I had been on a low histamine OMAD diet till I discovered that (I think) aspartame calmed the symptoms I was having (so probably NOT a histamine issue) and have had a keto blow out basically. LC tortillas and LC ice cream have been my biggest culprits. Low carb junk is still junk - especially if you have no control over those things. AND there is a correlation between my not getting on the scale and my gaining weight. It happens every time I avoid the scale.

I need to “social distance” from the kitchen and start getting on the scale again.

Today I’m starting the knuckling down process by allowing myself to eat meat when I get hungry. Once I get the satiation back under control, then I’ll go back to IF.

(Tracy) #26

I’ve maintained. The worse I’ve done is snack more than normal but it has been on keto foods. I actually find myself walking more than usual to pass the time.

I’ve got my youngest daughters bday coming up and may eat the cake for the same reason. I think I have eaten cake two times this calendar year and it was my oldest girls bday and my own. I skipped eating cake at another family’s bday just today, so it’s not going to knock me off the wagon .

(charlie3) #28

I’ve gained may be 2 pounds in the last 2 months, hoping to add some more muscle a little faster than fat. Seems to be working. I step on a smart scale every morning. That data ends up on cronometer along with nutrients and exercise calories. The virus has almost no infuence because I live alone, exercise in the basement, and have been in retirement mode for the past year.

(Ron) #30

Not gaining but not losing either. It is a lot harder to fast sitting home all day so I’m OK maintaining for now.

Thankfully I’m still losing, although slowly.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m not as busy, but I find that my appetite has increased. Still doing clean keto, IFing 18:6 , but when I eat I just want to keep eating. I’m fine if I don’t start which is interesting… I have no issues doing OMAD a couple of days a week.

(Natasha) #32

Eurgh! This is how it is for me too. I’m starting to think this is the next piece in the puzzle for me to look at. Maybe there are habits I need to put in place to account for how I feel once I start eating… like: drink a glass of soda water after a meal; wait at least 15 minutes after eating before getting more etc… I don’t know, I need to work out something!

I tried the soda water idea and it helps. I also end a meal with a long espresso (decaf). It helps dull the cravings but they’re still there.

Not sure why I’m craving more food now then before. Although I’m less active I don’t think that I’m eating out of boredom.

Isn’t it the caffeine that helps with hunger?

It is. But my days of being able to consume caffeine in the evening and not have it affect my sleep are long behind me. I bet if it was caffeinated it would help a heck of a lot more. Usually my morning espresso keeps hunger pangs down in the morning/early afternoon.

I guess the decaf long espresso helps to fill my stomach more so it helps with cravings a bit.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #36

@Mavro Espresso Corretto at night! :heart_eyes:
No sleep problems. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #37

Ok, I think I need to get some decaf. A cup of coffee in the evening sounds lovely. I say I like herbal teas, and I’m going to have that in the evening. Doesn’t it sound like a relaxing, healthy for body and spirit thing to do. But can’t get my bum off the couch to go brew a cup. But if I had some decaf would I go thru the more complicated process of making a cup now? Yes. Yes I would.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #38

:angry:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #39

Yikes, I got scolded by my favorite admin! :confused::joy::joy::joy::roll_eyes: sorry @Ruina

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #40

I’m just jealous.

Show off! :rage:

:grin: