Any app better that MFP for tracking Keto?

(T. Mack) #1

Im doing Keto for about 30 days now. I’m very happy in that I have no sugar/sweet cravings anymore (if you knew me you would know how rediculous that sounds). I’m using My Fitness Pal (free premium trial) to track my macros/calories and so forth. The free trial is about to run out, before I spend the $50 for an annual subscription…does anyone have suggestions for a better Keto tracking app? Thanks

(eat more) #2

there are a few suggestions in this thread :slight_smile:

(Jim O'Brien) #3

Hey @Mackte, I’m using an app called “Stupid Simple Keto” and I think it’s awesome. I’ve only been on the Keto diet for 8 days now, but without this app I would have a real hard time tracking my macros, this makes it simple. It keeps a nice running total for you Fats, Proteins, and Carbs. If you buy the premium app, you can then scan in your own food or simply add a food. The price is fair, it’s around $14 (one time fee to purchase), you can also download and use a free version, but it’s limited, you cannot scan or enter your own food and you do not have full access to the food database. Anyway, give it a try if you like, I rate it 5 stars. Cheers!

(Alex Peralta) #4

I’ve been using FatSecret on iOS.

(Adam Hagen) #5

i like Fatsecret personally, I too switched over back when MFP got bought by Under Armor and put up a pay wall.

(Casey Brown) #6

I use the Lose It app on iOS, the free version. I like it because it shows you a little pie graph of your carbs, fat, and protein, and then you can click on that and see the number breakdown, which includes fiber, so if you’re doing net carbs you can subtract the fiber. You can also scan barcodes and all that jazz. I’ve been very pleased with Lose It.

The ONLY thing I like about MyFitnessPal is that I can import recipes from URLs. Do any of these other apps do that?

MFP free does the job perfectly well.

(eat more) #9

i loathe MFP :joy:

(Andrea Krambeer) #10

I use MyNetDiary

(Brad G Reynolds) #11

Recommendation of Carb Manager above is great. Tracks net carbs!

(Diane) #12

I really love the free Cronometer app. I hated MFP.
When I’m looking for nutrition info for fast food selections, fatsecret seems to have more accurate info about bunless selections, etc.

(Championsidewinder) #14

Yes but that app doesn’t figure in sodium potassium ratio :slightly_frowning_face:

(shane ) #15

I switched from MFP to Cronometer.

It takes some getting used to, and there are things I hate about it.

However, it is much more accurate for tracking carbs and I found I was eating a lot more carbs than I thought. There are a lot of carbs in foods that are less than a full carb and MFP will not have them listed. Cronometer will. If you eat 10 items with.5-.9 carbs a day in them, they can quickly add up, and they do.

It is also really accurate for tracking micro-nutrients. Which is really nice to have.

Things it sucks at, multi adding foods that you eat daily. Keeping track of foods you eat daily.

Things it excels at, the micro nutrients and hidden carbs. Also the database of foods is MUCH more accurate for calorie/macro counts than you will find on MFP as the foods that are found on there are verified before they are added.

(Championsidewinder) #16

Cronometer app will say no potassium in my avocado on some I try to log but there is potassium in all avocados, and other things are messed up on it too, but MyFitnessPal is messed up a bit too

(Brandy) #17

Second vote for Carb Manager

(Championsidewinder) #18

Carb manager sucks too, I tried it, didn’t like it, the problem is we are depending on the app to tell us the carbs on everything hoping the app tells us correctly but lots of apps say no potassium in the avocado I just ate on stupid Cronometer app and I ran into that on MFP too, but some will say 200 potassium in one whole avocado and then a different brand says 400 or 900, so who is right? I can’t believe any of them really, and things like potassium carbs fat and protein need to be accurate. Without some kind of app it’s almost impossible to be doing keto right.

Add my name to the Cron-O-Meter fanboy list.

I love it, and it’s all I need. On my Android based mobile device, I can view the web version nicely on Opera or Dolphin and don’t need the actual app (which costs money, I think…)

(Championsidewinder) #20

Well make sure you check everything very closely because when you look up an item there will be many different carb protein fat and potassium numbers depending on which one you choose, don’t just believe the first one you find because one will say an avocado is 17 net grams of carbs and the next will say 10 or 0. Lol I have found all kinds of problems with every app I try to use

(Vladaar Malane) #21

This isn’t what your asking about obviously, but I would think ultimately getting our bodies trained to figure out our satiety is the goal. I’m not there yet, still struggling occasionally with the snack monster mentality even though I’m not hungry. Working at it though, I keep trying to focus on lowering my protein to only what I need and making sure I have plenty of fat. That seems to help me feel that satiety. So what I’m saying is your own body is the ultimate ap, that we all should try to trust once again. I am hoping to be able to anyway.

I did use My Fitness Pal for about a year, it’s nice in that it helps open your eyes to everything your putting in your mouth.