Anxiety?

Probably a dumb questions and I have a lot going on outside of Keto (planning a wedding reception 6 weeks leaving for honeymoon in 6 weeks etc) but I feel like I’m always on go go go… and I’ve always been susceptible to anxiety but I feel like it’s pretty bad lately like not full blown panic attacks thank god but my mind is constantly racing? I’m now on day 12 or 13 I’ve gone from 177 to 167… no problems staying the course and I think I’m done with Keto flu …has anyone had this anxious feeling? On a second unrelated question hehe we had our cake testing this week and I didn’t partake, however, I would like to eat a piece of my wedding cake on the day! Has anyone done something similiar what was the outcome? Thanks!

(Todd Allen) #2

I’m prone to anxiety and have found a simple breath trick helpful. When I realize I’m becoming anxious I try to switch my focus as much as possible to my breath and all the related sensations and take slow deliberate deep breaths, about 3 seconds inhaling, pause a moment, 3 seconds exhaling, pause and repeat. It’s better to inhale through the nose, close the eyes, and to sit or lie down when possible but none of that is essential. Typically within a couple minutes my heart rate will begin to slow and within 5 minutes I’ll feel much calmer and my blood pressure comes down too.

(Jake P) #4

I have the opposite going on, divorce. I have been keto for about 5 months now. I feel like I am doing better, but some days I really feel the anxiety.

(Mike W.) #5

Oh yeah. My anxiety had gotten much worse, especially with all the chemical changes in our bodies and minds. But it gets better. Not completely gone like I was hoping but it’s more manageable. Personally I have health anxiety so knowing I getting healthier had helped to put my mind at ease. From reading your comments, I swear you’re the female version of me :joy:

Hehe scary to think there’s two of us :joy:

(Cathy Schroder) #7

Have a cake made from cheese! That’s what I did. I bought several wheels of cheese and asked my florist to give me some additional flowers. Then on the day I stacked the cheeses and added the flowers! It was delicious.

(Becky Searls) #8

Not dumb at all.

I was actually taking meds for anxiety before keto and then kind of the same time I went keto I went off the meds and thankfully had no issues at all–if anything my anxiety dropped! Yay!

However, I do get the “go, go, go” feeling you described more than I used to. I interpret it as feeling more excitable or even a little bit manic lol, and I think that it stems from being in ketosis. I think maybe ketones are just such an efficient form of energy get your body can go go go, often way longer or faster than your mind or heart, and there is a disconnect or emotional dissonance as a result.

When I feel this happening or continuing for too long (sometimes I weirdly like it because I get hyper productive) I try to make efforts to do things like:
-clear my schedule of social commitments
-OR make a social plan that is something that feeds me like coffee with a friend I really love to chat with and catch up with

• take a bath with Epsom salts, a good book, etc
  • go to bed early if it feels right (sometimes I get anxious by trying to go to bed too early lol)
  • practicing yoga or doing another workout (distracts me)
  • getting some work done
  • deep breathing exercises or mindfulness meditations
  • putting on an eye mask and lying down in a cool dark room for a while without a device

Hope those ideas help a bit! I hope you are able to really enjoy the days leading up to and following your wedding! Regarding wedding cake - i think it’s totally fine to have it! It’s your wedding, you’d probably regret NOT partaking…but then again just know you may want to save it for the last thing you eat (you can still do the cake cutting/feed each other a bite earlier, but rally sit down and enjoy your slice last thing before leaving the reception bc your insulin will spike and then you’ll probably feel pretty yucky when it dips quickly thereafter. Maybe try to leave while riding the sugar high :slight_smile: Congrats!

(Becky Searls) #9

That. Is. awesome.
Probably cheaper too!!!

(Cathy Schroder) #10

It was way cheaper. And I really enjoyed the leftovers!!

(Jacquie) #11

@madaboutchooks Your cake is absolutely gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

(Cathy Schroder) #12

Thank you! I loved it for sure.

That cake is beautiful

I echo all the great advice already given. I think keto often throws your system up in the air. It is a good thing although might be tough in the short term.

My advice re wedding cake on the day would be proceed with caution, the reason being that it might well make you feel a bit crappy having been away from sugar for so long. You could always have a keto cake of course and then you will be able to dive in without issue!

(Sarah ) #15

I did not eat my wedding cake and you know what- I’ve never regretted it. Even tho guests told me even weeks afterward what a surprisingly good cake it was I had and have no regrets. Think of how much cake you’ve had in the past - did it really matter to your overall appreciation of whatever occasion was celebrated? In planning a wedding you focus on details of food but in actually being the bride on that wondrous day the food is SO unimportant. You have so many of your fave people there all at once at such a joyous time and you’re beautiful and happy and guess what- food is not calling you! Even not in keto most ppl say they “forgot” to eat at their own nuptials. You don’t even need to plan this - it will be a day when life is at such a peak that food will be almost invisible and you will have no cravings (other than for your new spouse❤

(Becky Searls) #16

This is sweet :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

(Mike W.) #17

I’m so proud of you. KCKO!

(Auden) #18

This is my first post. Sorry if I’m bumping an old thread. I’ve always known I’m losing weight with keto when I start getting really emotional and I feel not myself. I’ve always just attributed the heightened emotions to hormones released when I burn extra fat stores. It settles down for me after a month or two on keto. Congrats on getting married!!

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #19

Im 40 5’2 90kg
Type 2 diabetic
Hypertension
Gastritis
Anxiety Panic attacks
Hypochondria

Wantin to commit to keto diet… started early january 2019 for 1week

Heres what made me quit

1. Chest pain
  2. Rapid heart beat
  3. Palpitations
  4. Insomnia
  5. Tinnitus
  6. Lethargy
  7. Muscle aches
  8. Could feel my own heart beat while sleepin
  9. Worst waking up frm sleep sweaty and palpitations

Point to note

1. I have just under went stress test…echo…holter …RESuLT no heart disease

2. On insulin 4times a day

3. Off with SSRI ( anxiety meds) since oct

During my 7days…i took at lis 3litres water…250mg mag…sodium 1teaspoon mornin w ACV

Symptoms are still.thr therefore i quit…

However i feel.my ancxiety is stil.persistent now evn after quittin keto

Pls.advice i wana.giv keto a try…cs i knw there are good benefits

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #20

I replied in your other thread about insulin dependent type 2 diabetes. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/health/T1DM

Also you recently stopped an antidepressant which may be the cause of your anxiety rather than the 7 days you ate low carb.

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #21

Not sure bt i was soo good till.i wemt into keto…tryin 2 minimize.amxiety cant.wait.to go on keto