Anova Nano Sous Vide $64 today (28 Nov 18) on Amazon!

Thank you sir. Chef and photographer :wink:

(Casey Crisler) #22

Iā€™d recommend getting an Instant Pot or Air Fryer over one of these. I find the Sous Vide great for cooking salmon. Everything else? Not so much.

(Bob M) #23

What? Youā€™re kidding, right? You can sous vide: duck; goose; shrimp; burgers (and theyā€™ll be cooked medium rare and will not have bacteria and be the juiciest ones youā€™ve had); chuck steak (fantastic); smoked pork; smoked beef (you sous vide, then smoke); lamb; steaks (the only way to cook steaks in my opinion); pork like chops or loin (the only way to cook these in my opinion); lamb chops (the only way to cook these in my opinion); the list goes on and on and on and on.

The new Instant Pots do sous vide, but only at lower temps and they are small.

(Running from stupidity) #24

Whoa! This is like CICO thinking but for sous vide! :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #25

I mean, this recipe alone with worth the cost of the sous vide:

This too:

(Casey Crisler) #26

I donā€™t understand your analogy. :thinking:

(Mike W.) #27

Iā€™m cant evening right nowā€¦

(Running from stupidity) #28

Thereā€™s a lot more you can do than just that one thing, thereā€™s a lot of variables.

#orsomething

:slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #29

A new one on me! Reminds me of ā€œBobā€™s your uncle.ā€ :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

I cook for 1 and find it extremely useful. Sous vide a bag with a pound of more of meat to the rarest option. Keep what you donā€™t eat immediately for quick meals later in the week. Personally I used almost always to cook meat. Pulled pork is versatile as well as chicken thighs or turkey breast which is incredible cooked sous vide

(Full Metal KETO AF) #31

I have been using Sous vide for 2 years several times a week usually. Using what is now marketed as Wankle. It was very reliable under heavy use, many 24-48 hour cooks. I wanted a second unit and bought and returned the Nano. You canā€™t remove the sleeve to clean the heating element of you have a bag leak. I have cleaned mine many times because even if you donā€™t leak, the cook pot and unit have grime sometimes if you keep using for a few days with the same water or do a 24-48 hour cook. I got the precision Anova which turned out to be massive. Also the Anova app sucks. Use the Joule app and program their info into the Anova app. Better cooktime/temperature guidelines.

(Candy Lind) #32

Could you expand on this a bit for the less tech-savvy? Thanks.

(Central Florida Bob ) #33

I just got one of these Nanos and did my first sous vide cook. I had read other models and its cleaning practice by taking off the sleeve and shoving it in your dishwasher. The nano says to fill the pot with a vinegar/water solution and run it.

Did you ever try that?

(Candy Lind) #34

Iā€™m going to try that - we have very hard water.

(Steve) #35

Yep, itā€™s more important to clean the internals of the Anova Precision Cooker (APC) than its sleeve - due to hard water scale buildup.

A friend of mine didnā€™t know this - after about a month of use, I took the sleeve off of his to show him how the internals appeared to be powder coated with minerals. :slight_smile: (really hard water in Kitchener, Ontario).

Yep - a vinegar / water solution will keep the Nanoā€™s internals clean. You could do the same thing with the APC - if people arenā€™t careful, they could easily bend the impeller arm or one of the heating / temperature probes.

(Mike W.) #36

How do you recommend cleaning that white powdery stuff off? Does it matter?

(Candy Lind) #37

I think thatā€™s what the vinegar water would do. Itā€™s how I clean my coffee maker, as well.

(Steve) #38

Well, the hard water scale would be insulative - so itā€™ll (marginally) impact the heating capability of the APC - as well as the accuracy of the temperature probe (again, marginally). The ā€œrubā€ IMHO is that the longer you leave it, likely the more durable itā€™s gong to be (and harder to get off).

If you have a spray nozzle at your sink, that should likely knock it off. Heh. I have brushes that came with a juicer I had that are quite good for cleaning it as well. Any small brush similar to a toothbrush would be gentle enough for cleaning without putting enough pressure to bend anything.

Edit: But, yep, you could do the same as the Nano and run it in a vinegar/water solution for a bit to clean it off as wellā€¦if anything proves difficult to get off, thatā€™s how Iā€™d clean it (the stronger the ratio of vinegar, the more effectively it will clean it off, of course). Luckily white vinegarā€™s pretty cheap. :slight_smile: